MVHR unit sourcing

Hello everyone,

I am currently refurbishing my house and planning to add MVHR system. I have been getting quotes from few installers and they are way too high. I then planned to do source the MVHR unit and materials and DIY myself with the help of the builders currently working for refurbishment. 
About the system, I am planning to go with the Nilan combi system integrated with heat pump and source from Denmark. Anyone have experience with this system and advice the suppliers in Denmark to deliver to UK. Anyone sourced from Denmark recently after Brexit? Do we need to pay any customs duty tax or any other costs involved for delivery to UK?

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, KM A4 said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently refurbishing my house and planning to add MVHR system. I have been getting quotes from few installers and they are way too high. I then planned to do source the MVHR unit and materials and DIY myself with the help of the builders currently working for refurbishment. 
About the system, I am planning to go with the Nilan combi system integrated with heat pump and source from Denmark. Anyone have experience with this system and advice the suppliers in Denmark to deliver to UK. Anyone sourced from Denmark recently after Brexit? Do we need to pay any customs duty tax or any other costs involved for delivery to UK?

Thank you. 

Yes, unless the supplier has an export agent in the UK and is selling the product as a UK product, you will have to pay the Boris-is-a-liar customs charge AND VAT AND an admin fee for the privilege of having a delivery company - not chosen by you - administer this ridiculous affront on free trade for you. Moreover, it will be tricky to work out how much the customs charge actually is before you are hit with it, because HmRC guidance notes on these things are fairly complex. I would bank on 6%, and hope it is fractionally less.

Vote Brexit!

Presumably being n N.Ireland we won't have to pay the customs? So why would somebody in England just not get it sent to NI? Then get it sent over.....or is that smuggling? Incidently our local Sainsburys has so many empty shelves, worse since the P&O thing. Whereas the irish supplied shops are grand.

11 hours ago, KM A4 said:

About the system, I am planning to go with the Nilan combi system integrated with heat pump and source from Denmark.

We bought a Genvex Combi 185LS direct from Denmark in 2017 so we didn't have any real problems with delivery and we reclaimed the 25% VAT successfully. One problem with buying large items like this from abroad is that it may be difficult to get warranty problems sorted out. We were told it would have to be returned to Denmark for repair.

Thank you. Yes, I know that few members bought Genvex systems from Sundthus, but they are all before Brexit. I tried reaching out to them via phone (available in the website), but its always going for automated voice message. I'll check with them via email.

12 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Presumably being n N.Ireland we won't have to pay the customs? So why would somebody in England just not get it sent to NI? Then get it sent over.....or is that smuggling? Incidently our local Sainsburys has so many empty shelves, worse since the P&O thing. Whereas the irish supplied shops are grand.

Nilan have a distributor in Ireland. You'd just drove down and pick it up and make a run for the border 😉

Fyi they are overpriced compared to a separate heat pump and MVHR and the heating capacity is quite low, for hot water only really.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No import duties on EU goods.

VAT and an admin fee by the courier.

Currently CE marked goods are still acceptable. This may change on 31/12/22 but I expect they'll just extend CE / UKCA recognition again.

If going fancy a rotary unit might be of interest - these recover humidity in winter that can be helpful:

https://www.komfovent.com/en/c/products/air-handling-units?taxons[0]=ahurhp

Importing would be about £4800 vs £6800 from BPC; plus shipping.

https://www.gedarta.lt/rekuperatorius--silumos-siurblys-„oras-oras“/rekuperatorius--silumos-siurblys-domekt-rhp-400--2824-kw

If they price matched to £5k it wouldn't be worth the effort. Probably won't though as I don't think they stock these so would themselves be hot be the same one off shipping costs.

20 hours ago, markocosic said:

If going fancy a rotary unit might be of interest - these recover humidity in winter that can be helpful:

Really OT side point: rotary heat exchangers are found to be prone at transferring airborne viruses from extract back into the supply air stream and should be disabled (bypassed) in the event of a, say, a pandemic.

Enthalpy heat exchangers do not have this limitation, but also recover humidity/latent heat.

(Guess who was selecting their MVHR in April 2020)

Meh...everybody is getting covid...the only question is when. Disabling rotaries in a commercial setting helps but frankly in a pandemic you probably shouldn't be in a commercial setting in the first place. In a single home resi setting it matters not a jot.

Their advantages being that rotaries don't freeze in cold weather; and can be cleaned; whereas enthalpy exchangers need preheaters in order to not freeze in cold weather and can't realistically be cleaned with dissolving to mush.

In the UK climate you're probably fine with freezable and drying but cheap and cleanable PVC only. Doesn't get too cold often enough to care about low humidity or needing a preheater to avoid the mvhr turning into an extract fan in cold weather.

33 minutes ago, markocosic said:

Their advantages being that rotaries don't freeze in cold weather; and can be cleaned; whereas enthalpy exchangers need preheaters in order to not freeze in cold weather and can't realistically be cleaned with dissolving to mush.

What do you call "cold weather"?

Mine has never frozen even the night it got to -18, and -10 is common here.

The only "issue" I have is a few drips of condensation running off the inlet pipe as the lagging on it is not as good as it could be. but that is not an MVHR issue.

If you clean the filters, no much should get to the enthalpy heat exchanger core.

5 below is cold enough to freeze units with decent heat recovery unless they revert to extract only mode. (most do - check manual)

Not a big deal in UK.

G4 filters don't do enough to prevent diseasel PM2.5 fouling the core IME. I'd like to do better on the next install with some big pleated panel filters.

On 23/04/2022 at 14:00, markocosic said:

If going fancy a rotary unit might be of interest

I spent hours researching those and came to the conclusion that, domestically, they were not a good option. 

6 hours ago, joth said:

rotary heat exchangers are found to be prone at transferring airborne viruses from extract back into the supply air

I was researching pre Covid so I didn’t see that ‘virus’ reference, but it was all about the fact that air was spilling from the extract into the supply - which was what I was trying not to do, so didn’t go there in the end.