American fancy ruler invention £15

Had a similar tool a few years ago and they are very handy for scribing awkward cuts when tiling or laying floors. They aren't that good after a big heavy lump stands on them though and turns it into a jigsaw puzzle.

And there was me thinking that Leica suffocated in a space capsule :ph34r:.

You really want one of these vintage things. Mint condition and under £5. Now you can measure an imperfect nonagon of fixed perimeter for your not quite perfect surroundings.

2-metre-folding-wooden-ruler-set-23188.j

Or if you want to waste the whole day have a schlepp over to the Sippican Cottage - he makes things, in the sticks. And he writes well:

In the fall, we'd made and installed four, great big swinging barn doors leading out of our basement into the paved yard where the firewood slumbered. The firewood only had to travel twenty feet. The nature of those twenty feet was the issue. There was a buttress of ice eighteen inches thick holding the doors closed. The eave above had basted the snow that collected there with water, over and over, until it was as solid and unyielding as any revetment. We stood like Napoleons looking longingly at Moscow in the winter.

My son got an iron bar we keep for some reason. It's six feet long, as big around as a toddler's wrist, pointed at one end, with a sort-of chisel at the other. This tool is of absolutely no use, until it's essential, like a lawyer or a prostitute. I laid into that bulwark of ice like, like -- like it was the only thing between me and heat tomorrow morning. 

Nearly as good as some of those off-the-beaten-track self-builders.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand