Dozer

£300 per plus god knows how much fuel 

But does the work of several excavators 

Im burying the clay on the field 

Probably 1000 tons 

I was going to use a local farmer who’s been taking the muck from another site for the last 12 months But both he and the builder are going to be fined next month For not having a permit 

E45ABDF3-BC07-44B2-8C1A-2BFD24DA9CDB.jpeg

• Like 2

Driving one of those is an exercise in self-control. 

Memories of summer holidays when  I was 8, and my dad a bridging engineer building the M5 motorway. He'd regularly farm me out to D6, D8 drivers and  (wheeled , I seem to remember) scraper drivers - for a small boy, pure heaven. Hoveringhams (?)  were doing the ground work for the Ross Spur.  The engine heat, the smell, the noise, pulling the track levers and watching the machine slew. Sitting up high in the cab (on the fuel tank ?) watching tonnes of earth disappear. 

The thing that really got me was how delicately an expert driver could manoeuvre and how level and even their work was on completion.  I still grin when on the motorway when I pass the banking between Strensham Services and the river bridge.

Now, H+S staff would explode ...

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

My BIL down under, a retired Diesel fitter has a collection of old machinery including a D4 dozer, a road roller and a scraper (forget the proper name)  I had a go on them all.  the concept of a decellerator pedal was somewhat alien to get used to.

This is the only one I got a picture on that is me in the seat.

roller.thumb.JPG.c68666d9a467e0fc84b78339490a173a.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ouch.  I hope that is red? (last few days it is allowed)

It is 

Bit of confusion there 

I was told anything that can also go on the road White only 
My mate who lent me the digger and dumper said Everything including the site mixers will be white  

He recons it will put £8 an hour on his 15 ton machines 

I’m trying not to think about the dozer 

Need it back for another three day hire at the end of next week

2 minutes ago, nod said:

I was told anything that can also go on the road White only 

But agricultural vehicles can use red! and they often go on the road between fields etc .? Glad i am shot of my JCB just in time.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

But agricultural vehicles can use red! and they often go on the road between fields etc .? Glad i am shot of my JCB just in time.

Yeah sorry

Both said Agricultural vehicles are except on or off the farm 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nod said:

Yeah sorry

Both said Agricultural vehicles are except on or off the farm 

Agri vehicles are only exempt on the road as long as they are moving between land parcels owned by the tractor owner not further than 1.5km apart and as far as I know if they are  contractors they will need to be on road diesel.

Bloody madness it will only help drive this inflation.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

Agri vehicles are only exempt on the road as long as they are moving between land parcels owned by the tractor owner not further than 1.5km apart and as far as I know if they are  contractors they will need to be on road diesel.

Crazy

lots of different versions 

1 hour ago, Ronan 1 said:

That doesn't apply to purpose-built tractors, combines, sprayers etc when being used for agricultural/forestry work though.  They can still use red with no specific distance limits, as can agricultural contractors.

2 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

That doesn't apply to purpose-built tractors, combines, sprayers etc when being used for agricultural/forestry work though.  They can still use red with no specific distance limits, as can agricultural contractors.

That's shows the confusion around it as I got that version of 2 farmers one of which was a contractor...

Either way I have just asked for 15 load of stone to be delivered to site next week so I can stockpile it before they put it up the week after up to 50 quid a load to account for them switching there plant to road diesel.

• Like 1