Variable temperature boiling water tap

I've been looking around at the boiling water taps, specifically looking for one where I can adjust the outlet temperature of the water between 70-100 degrees. I've found some where I can do this on the tank but none that have controls at the tap. I mostly drink green tea which needs 70-80 degrees and everyone else normal teas and coffee at full temp so tank adjustment of temp is impractical. Anyone know of a solution available here?

Quooker is the ONLY true boiling water tap which stores boiling water at ( just over ) 100oC. All the others store at "really close" to boiling. The Combi iteration allows temp selection of between 40-60oC but after that its boiling or chilled.

The problem with the others is you'll be hit and miss eg if you've drawn water just before the stat kicks back in, just after it has shut off at max, and the variability of that stats hysteresis.

Edited by Nickfromwales

52 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:
58 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Put 20% cold water in the cup then add boiling.

Pretty much.

Care to redo the maths, using the Kelvin scale? 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Put 20% cold water in the cup then add boiling.

You know I hadn't considered that one at all 😉😁 nor had I thought about letting the water cool for a while in the pot 😉. I had singularly, and maybe unreasonably for £1.5 - £3k or more for a Quooker, wondered whether there wasn't some bright spark of an engineer that might have considered that when it's possible to provide an all in one tap that gives you hot/cold water, boiling water, chilled sparkling filtered and normal filtered - something that's sold as doing it all - it isn't also a decent idea to design one that also provides a thermostatic control for the boiling water coming out of the tap. 😉  I can't be the only one that would like water between 70 - 100 degrees when spending that kind of money. 🙄 It's not just green tea, even good coffee needs to be brewed at less than boiling temp.

Maybe I shall just have to stick with my low tech variable temperature kettle as I reckon there's a design oversight here 🤔:(😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Quooker is the ONLY true boiling water tap which stores boiling water at ( just over ) 100oC. All the others store at "really close" to boiling. The Combi iteration allows temp selection of between 40-60oC but after that its boiling or chilled.

The problem with the others is you'll be hit and miss eg if you've drawn water just before the stat kicks back in, just after it has shut off at max, and the variability of that stats hysteresis.

Thanks, for moment when I looked at it I'd hoped the combi could've done it but alas.

You also have the option of a thermostatic kettle, at the cost of about £70, or 3-4% of a Quooker.

I have had one of these for about 8 years, and it is great at doing water for coffee at 90C.

It is a Bosch TWK8633GB Styline.

eg Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4239712 

image.png.855ebca35da7a0e65f60ce81c08b2702.png 

I'm going th eother way and thinking about a boiling water tap and water softener as part of a kitchen refresh.

(Checking the latest, I see you are already in this camp!)

F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

You also have the option of a thermostatic kettle, at the cost of about £70, or 3-4% of a Quooker.

I have had one of these for about 8 years, and it is great at doing water for coffee at 90C.

I'm going th eother way and thinking about a boiling water tap and water softener as part of a kitchen refresh.

F

Thanks, yes I have one of those Bosch kettles that's been doing great service for a few years now. It's a good bit of kit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

F

We had one similar to that, was great.  £2k or put kettle on at your required temp, it's hot when you back from a visit to the toilet.

34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

when the boiling tap fails

Which introduces a rather important question about the longevity of these things. Reading some of the posts here on BH there have been some shorter than expected lifespans. Also what are peoples' experiences re ongoing maintenance costs - e.g. filter every 6 months, plus what else servicing wise? I expect the Quooker being essentially a boiling UVC needs some regulary servicing and check ups? We're in a hard water area and given the current designs of some heating elements for dishwashers, we've blown through about 4 in 6 years, even with the dishwasher set correctly - most of these have been under warranty but I did just have to pay for one as it was just out of warranty since the last one was changed.

Edited by SimonD

35 minutes ago, SimonD said:

We're in a hard water area

I moved from a very hard water area (Bucks) to a very soft water area. Never had an element go in a washer or kettle in 20 years.

The DHW cylinder one went, after 33 years, but the cylinder was also leaking.

Probably saved myself about 100 quid, or £2 a year in replacements.

54 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Which introduces a rather important question about the longevity of these things. Reading some of the posts here on BH there have been some shorter than expected lifespans. Also what are peoples' experiences re ongoing maintenance costs - e.g. filter every 6 months, plus what else servicing wise? I expect the Quooker being essentially a boiling UVC needs some regulary servicing and check ups? We're in a hard water area and given the current designs of some heating elements for dishwashers, we've blown through about 4 in 6 years, even with the dishwasher set correctly - most of these have been under warranty but I did just have to pay for one as it was just out of warranty since the last one was changed.

No past experience.

However, as I am in a semi-hard water area I would put in a water-softening setup before I went for one.

Around here, rads become more difficult in a couple of decades.

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I would put in a water-softening setup before I went for one.

We had a water softener setup in our last place and I hated it with a vengeance. I seemed to be spending my entire life either arranging salt delivery or going to collect and then filling the bloody thing up all the time. That and the cost of the unit with installation and storage space for the salt. I certainly wasn't convinced it provided the promised value in savings or comfort. Not again.

• Like 1