Combi microwave oven? gimmick?

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

As long as they take the metal bits out before using the microwave. (Assuming metal racking etc is still used)

Ours you can leave the metal side runners in while using it as a microwave but you must remove the metal shelves.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Ours you can leave the metal side runners in while using it as a microwave but you must remove the metal shelves.

Ours is a Neff combi (that sits alongside a fan oven), and metal shelves can stay in on the microwave setting.  It does 95% of its work as a microwave for reheating and defrosting etc, plus occasional duties as a 'hot air' oven for roasting when I need a lower temp for a joint of meat than the main oven for the roast potatoes.  I might have to rethink that practice under the current energy situation however...

17 hours ago, ProDave said:

Or your kitchen designer just supplies a unit with the correct size gaps and correct size cupboards above and below.

kitchen_1.thumb.jpg.b6f8c5654894bb82c7ff62c6ef8c31d2.jpg

If you want them stacked that works well and looks good. We are having a side by side layout.

image.png.4a497a50b834bdcd29a3e013236842ff.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

plus occasional duties as a 'hot air' oven for roasting when I need a lower temp for a joint of meat than the main oven for the roast potatoes.  I might have to rethink that practice under the current energy situation however...

A low temperature joint usually cooks for longer, we just put the roast tatties in for longer in the same oven.

On 09/03/2022 at 12:00, ProDave said:

But the turntable compensates for the fact the microwave energy is not even inside the oven, so without it you have to keep stopping and stirring what you are heating to avoid cold spots or local boiling.

You only have to do that with a turntable microwave if you've removed the turntable. So-called 'flatbed' microwaves that dispense with the turntable altogether have a rotating antenna instead.