Struggling with timber to steel

Apologies for starting a new thread on this again !

Steel around 15mm thick . Even with a pilot  hole ( have to do from above as it’s the only way to get enough force to even start ) - this just ain’t happening.

My assumption is if just 1 screw into the steel is a pita then I’m doing it wrong .

Surely there must be a better way ?  

7D245594-4DAA-4ED0-9A7D-E08381101132.jpeg

B0F09A70-4C6D-4980-9B46-DE749A889A4A.jpeg

41 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Probably the wrong screw. There are different heads for heavy steel, usually an inset tungsten blade that scratches a hole rather than pulls itself through. With the right screw and good drill it should cut through in 10 seconds or so.

Got this area aswell . I can’t drill up ; nor down ?

The blue insulation I can rip out . But still need to fix timber to the steel so I can have a ceiling support .

Unless I can glue timber in there ???? ( it’s a light weight suspended ceiling ) 

BDC1F6E9-C959-45C8-AC1D-007636BC8854.jpeg

Without any screws, insert timber noggins vertically between the flanges, then plate directly or overstud first. Or "no more nails" fix stud to inside of flanges. Then the construction effectively clips round the bottom flange and is secure.

Edited by saveasteading
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Without any screws, insert timber noggins vertically between the flanges, then plate directly or overstud first. Or "no more nails" fix stud to inside of flanges. Then the construction effectively clips round the bottom flange and is secure.

Think I've got it.

2 hours ago, pocster said:

These self drill screws just ain’t doing it 

Just seen this @pocster my son..... 

Using a COLD timber-to-steel screw, cover the end of the screw with some  spit, spit in the hole, and then try again. The dampness works as a cutting agent

Before wetting the end of the screw, there's no real need to explain why you should make sure the screw is cold is there,   no ..... ?

What-A-Dickhead.

• Haha 1

Not an expert but is that the correct screws for steel that thick?

As above a mag drill will be your friend here.

Have seen fixings fired into steel beams through wood with Hilti or equivalent.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Or use a mag drill on the steels where you've got access.

Oooooooooo ! A new toy ! ( that’s unlikely to harm me ) . I’ll try that YouTube suggestion first . Probably got maybe 20 holes to do ..

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Oooooooooo ! A new toy !

I just had to buy one. Surprisingly satisfying to use.

35 minutes ago, pocster said:

that’s unlikely to harm me

Well... unless you accidentally turn the mag off and it drops on your head. It has been known to happen ? There's a strap you're supposed to wrap around the steel to stop this happening...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SimonD said:

I just had to buy one. Surprisingly satisfying to use.

Well... unless you accidentally turn the mag off and it drops on your head. It has been known to happen ? There's a strap you're supposed to wrap around the steel to stop this happening...

Or drilling the underside of a portal frame and some D&@k on the floor turns the generator off ! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, pocster said:

Lots of nice pretty colours everywhere now - forum does look better . Emoji’s not visible in previous posts though 😐

Can you screenshot and PM me an example ..? Ta

• Like 1