Infrared heating panels?

Rishard

42 minutes ago, Rishard said:

Has anyone any experience with infrared heating panels? Either using them or opinions on their effectiveness.

Oh yes  loads on here - big arguments, was fun to watch, the two sides coming at from opposite ends of two different sticks! 

Looking here will give you the chance to see if you can hold two ideas (the ideas of heating and feeling warm) in your head at once and still function (F. Scott Fitzgerald's test of a first-rate intelligence) - it went way beyond me!

I think the summary was in a poorly insulated building where you only occasionally want to warm a person, they make sense.  e.g. often found in a church above some of the pews or in a workshop.

In a well insulated house or where you want to warm the person for a lot or most of the time, they make no sense at all.

I can now see this has been widely discussed. A friend was interested in using them in his relatively small barn conversion. It had a footprint of around 45m2 with some insulated walls and some un-insulated. A bit like a small church I guess. He doesn’t have gas on site. It sounds like these don’t really warm a space particularly well? Just the occasional person? Is it fair to say the objects they do heat don’t stay warm once the panels are turned off? Like the insulated concrete slab/ masonry walls ect? 

34 minutes ago, Rishard said:

I can now see this has been widely discussed. A friend was interested in using them in his relatively small barn conversion. It had a footprint of around 45m2 with some insulated walls and some un-insulated. A bit like a small church I guess. He doesn’t have gas on site. It sounds like these don’t really warm a space particularly well? Just the occasional person? Is it fair to say the objects they do heat don’t stay warm once the panels are turned off? Like the insulated concrete slab/ masonry walls ect? 

Yes, I just started reading the above linked thread, then lost the will to live with another one of those BH threads...? ?. I've been using a IR panel heater in the garden office for nearly 4 years and it works really well for that purpose. I currently also have 2 IR heaters in the house heating the top floor. The house is unfinished and it's a temporary solution until I get our heating system installed and up and running. However, my experience of it has been interesting. I currently have 2 1.3kW IR heaters which heat the whole space more effectively than 2 2.2kW fan heaters (total usable floor space is over 86sqm with ceiling heights up to 3.6m so not a small space). They provide more comfort in the space, especially when you sit under one as it's like sitting in front of a nice fire. The heaters do end up heating the whole space although it takes longer to reach temperature and the space outside of the heat zone is experienced as cooler (e.g they will get the whole space temperature up to 18.5 when outside temp is 0 or less over a few hours and this is with completely unheated ground floor). As the heaters do have some effect on the body of the building there is some residual warmth/warming after they're turned off.

I really like sitting in their heat zone, they do work fairly well, but would I choose this as a whole house, permanent solution? No. I would possible choose the odd panel in selective positions in the living room for when my mother in law visits when the house is complete and wants that fireside comfort.

I'm sure they're unquestionably 100% efficient somewhere but unquestionably 100% at what I'll leave for others to debate somewhere else ?

Edited by SimonD

@SimonDCheers, it’s good to hear someone’s lived experience. I guess in a study where your sat doing nothing all day they would work well. I remember visiting a building show and experienced the warmth when near them. I was just uncertain how that would translate to a living space. My fear is he will struggle with these in his main living space where his ceilings are double height/vaulted with a bedroom mezzanine.

5 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

All direct electric heaters convert 1kW of electricity into 1kW of heat  they are all equally efficient 

I know. After reading that other thread, I just couldn't help taking the wee ?? My sincere apologies, I'll close the door on my way out ?

5 minutes ago, Rishard said:

@SimonDCheers, it’s good to hear someone’s lived experience. I guess in a study where your sat doing nothing all day they would work well. I remember visiting a building show and experienced the warmth when near them. I was just uncertain how that would translate to a living space. My fear is he will struggle with these in his main living space where his ceilings are double height/vaulted with a bedroom mezzanine.

You're welcome. Yes there is something strange about sitting there all warm and then if you wave your arms about, they get cold.