Feedback, Opinion and Advice Welcome on 1930 Semi Detached in Conservation Area

Zak S

Based on the feedback I have been reading I have come with a plan for one of my project which I will be looking to sell after completion to provide funding for my own selfbuild dream house to live in. I will be extremely thankful if you could critically look at the attached drawings and provide feedback and advice.

The property is a 1930 Semi in conservation area so not if we will get the dormer roof extension permission but the main purpose of the side dormer is to use it as a negotiation tool with planners. The ground floor rear bifold door and windows will be replaced by two sets of sliding doors. Currently the boiler (Vaillant ECOtec 928 integrated with tank) is on the upstairs bathroom and I dont want to move it to save cost but this will be replaced with similar but more uptodate product available. 

The objective is to add maximum value and keep the cost to the lowest possible. I will appoint individual trades etc to achieve this. Looking forward to the great advice which people in this forum always provide. Thanks in advance.

20220215_074006.jpg

20220215_074006.jpg

20220215_074006.PDF Screenshot_20220215-073833_Acrobat for Samsung.PDF

I don't think you will get dormers in a consevation area either. If the new garage is taller than the existing, then you might also have a problem with that. Don't forget that the new garage will have to be built from substantially non combustable materials due to being up against the boundary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

I don’t like your chances of a new dormer in a conservation area. Worth a go, do you have a planning consultant helping you?

HI, Thanks. I have the similar feeling. Just trying to see if possible at all but have planned to revert to velux windows option on front and rear if dormer are not possible. Only have the architect but no planning consultant. Is one worth a speaking with for a small scale extension project?

3 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I don't think you will get dormers in a consevation area either. If the new garage is taller than the existing, then you might also have a problem with that. Don't forget that the new garage will have to be built from substantially non combustable materials due to being up against the boundary.

Hi, Thanks. I found this from the planning portal: 

• Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling house.

Does it mean unless the outbuilding/garage is not set minimum 2.5m from the boundary the four meter (4m) overall height with dual pitched roof or three meter (3m) for any other roof would not be permitted?

Also what should be the distance from the boundary in order to avoid the affect of point relating to 'building from non-combustible material'? Is it 1m distance from the boundary or more?   

29 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

You need planning permission for your outbuilding since it’s a conservation area, that’s designated land right? It doesn’t mean they will say no, just that you need to tell them and it’s not just permitted development.

No, I checked with Planning Office for the local council and they confirmed in writing that the out building, even in Conservation Area, does not require planning permission. We are just applying for permitted development certificate for it.

Edited by Zak S

E6DC9352-4B1B-4AE9-98B9-B6A46F261C03.thumb.jpeg.8af899eb2602dbc78cce150ccf4435de.jpeg

I would bin that dormer from the outset. It'd be a disaster if by some chance the planners granted it!

D83E19DC-EB45-47D4-9614-C9C52AA858AC.thumb.jpeg.374105400eed7c1b4d628993d1165957.jpeg

A simple box dormer would be my preference.Cheaper, more space inside etc etc. If given a free hand velux's would be fine too. Again maybe your architect is an expert at dealing with gaming the planners.

That bay window might be tricky to integrate into the kitchen roof. Maybe it'd be easier to remove and rebuild it or just replace with a plain window. 

I would try to put an ensuite on the top floor. Make the Utility into an ensuite for the ground floor and make the first floor ensuite into a laundry room. 

This would maximise your market for clients. Lots of multi generational families with an elderly parent need a ground floor bedroom+bathroom.

Plenty of adult children living at home who would appriciate either the privacy of a "studio" top floor or a bedroom away from the rest of the family.

On the whole I think your architect has done a very good job. Slightly prettier drawings might help "sell" the vision a bit more to the planners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iceverge said:

E6DC9352-4B1B-4AE9-98B9-B6A46F261C03.thumb.jpeg.8af899eb2602dbc78cce150ccf4435de.jpeg

I would bin that dormer from the outset. It'd be a disaster if by some chance the planners granted it!

D83E19DC-EB45-47D4-9614-C9C52AA858AC.thumb.jpeg.374105400eed7c1b4d628993d1165957.jpeg

On the whole I think your architect has done a very good job. Slightly prettier drawings might help "sell" the vision a bit more to the planners.

No he hasn’t. If this was designed by an architect I’d be very surprised. This is not a design suitable for a conservation area - and to consider demolishing an existing original bay window should be avoided. The new extension should always be subservient and celebrate the original rather than dominating it.

Id love to hear the feedback from your planners especially the conservation officer.

@Iceverge many thanks for your feedback.

The thinking behind the dormers rather than hip to gable loft purely stems from an extension in another conservation area in the city where a triangular glazed side extension (first pic) was allowed and built and which also formed the bases of another similar modelling work in that conservation area (2nd pic below). On that basis I thought; may be smaller dormer might stand more chance but as far as hip to gable box extension is concerned that would a big no by the planners and conservation area officer. Though conservation area is not subject to article 4(2) direction and permitted development rights remain, alteration to the roof require planning permission per the article 2(3) for the designated land (confirmed by the council)

The side dormer is purely there as negotiating tool and if planners dont ask it to be removed, I will remove it myself. The road behind the house is non conservation area and hence property is literally surrounded by other semis where hip to gable extension for the loft (big single box) has been done. But I am certain it will not be permitted for my project which is a bit disappointing for me.

With all the dormer taken out from the loft if required by the planners, I am not sure how I would squeeze ensuite in the loft? Any advice on that?

With all the dormer taken out, not sure how I would squeeze ensuite in the loft? Any thoughts on that?

The rear bay window is already integrated in the rear extension (already in place); I am only adding the roof lights there. So no work is required there for the integration of rear bay window.

Also, any thoughts as to how the drawing can be made prettier?

Screenshot_20220217-071443_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

20220217_071536.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ETC said:

No he hasn’t. If this was designed by an architect I’d be very surprised. This is not a design suitable for a conservation area - and to consider demolishing an existing original bay window should be avoided. The new extension should always be subservient and celebrate the original rather than dominating it.

Id love to hear the feedback from your planners especially the conservation officer.

@ETC thanks for the feedback. This has been done by an Architect. The plan is to go with maximum what we want and then negotiate down. There are no plans to demolish existing bay window. The extension at the rear behind the original house is already in place.

I have the feeling that extension is too big but I have the plot on the side and it still leaves a bit of gap to boundry wall. Would be happy to reduce the size upto certain extent but it need to financially work interm of value add v cost as a very small extension might not add the required value I am looking for.

18 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

how much additional value will it put on the house once done ?

You may be on a fools errand.

Probably 50-75k additional value based on the how great the cost control is for the project. Based on what planner say I might think to sell just with the planning permission for someone else to build. All depends on what planners can agree. 

7 hours ago, Zak S said:

No, I checked with Planning Office for the local council and they confirmed in writing that the out building, even in Conservation Area, does not require planning permission. We are just applying for permitted development certificate for it.

oh yes, you need it only at the side of properties I think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zak S said:

I  have the feeling that extension is too big but I have the plot on the side and it still leaves a bit of gap to boundry wall. Would be happy to reduce the size upto certain extent but it need to financially work interm of value add v cost as a very small extension might not add the required value I am looking for.

I don’t see why - with a little bit of imagination - you can’t have the accommodation you need and still build something financially viable and suitable for a conservation area.

3 hours ago, ETC said:

I don’t see why - with a little bit of imagination - you can’t have the accommodation you need and still build something financially viable and suitable for a conservation area.

Probably yes. But if the roof cannot be changed then option are quite limited. I wanted triangular shaped glazed windows but thought they might cost a lot and would still be treated the same as dormer by the planners plus they might seem put of place. It's a traditional 1930s semi so design option are limited. At the rear I have asked to replace the sliding door and stand alone window with two sets of sliding doors. But probably that's the limited of my imagination ?