Feedback, Opinion and Advice Welcome on 1930 Semi Detached in Conservation Area

Zak S

11 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Make the Utility into an ensuite for the ground floor and make the first floor ensuite into a laundry room. 

This would maximise your market for clients. Lots of multi generational families with an elderly parent need a ground floor bedroom+bathroom.

Updated drawing which I had asked. The ensuite stays on the first floor and utility on ground but wet room is added to downstair WC. Not ensuite but creates the facility to sue downstair bed room for elderly. Would that work?

Also bifold doors replaced by sliding doors x 2.

Screenshot_20220217-120921_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20220217-120833_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

23 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

I don’t know what the trend is for Living rooms with no windows, it seems like the standard on this forum. This isn’t so bad as it’s sort of got a window in the distance, but it needs to stop.

How about if the roof light can be opened? Would that compensate? Are sliding doors not something which are in place of windows. For traditional semi probably difficult to get side windows so the only option are either front or rear. Or have I totally misunderstood?

Edited by Zak S

I think you need to treat this as a spec development.  Don't overspend and overspec.

Have you got a price from a builder to do the work on the current plans?

If this is a 2 storey side, single storey rear extension plus loft conversion and dormers it will be very costly and take a long time.  Not many purchasers will pay a premium if all they get is planning consent.

It is quite difficult to add extra value to an existing house (in excess of build cost) by extending, unless it is a tiny house in an expensive area with room to extend.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think you need to treat this as a spec development.  Don't overspend and overspec.

Have you got a price from a builder to do the work on the current plans?

If this is a 2 storey side, single storey rear extension plus loft conversion and dormers it will be very costly and take a long time.  Not many purchasers will pay a premium if all they get is planning consent.

It is quite difficult to add extra value to an existing house (in excess of build cost) by extending, unless it is a tiny house in an expensive area with room to extend.

Thanks. Very useful points. I think margin there is a potential margin of 50-80k depending on the cost control. Current value is 350k. With side extensions (rear already in place before it was bought) and loft conversion with velux windows and no dormers and without building it might touch 500k but that would be the ceiling. Outbuilding not expected to add much value so will just recover its cost or max 10% margin if at all. Hence need to decide once planning is in place. Speaking with builder who have done similar work on near by properties they said 70-80k spend is required without dormers and out buildings. 

Edited by Zak S

The budget is tight, perhaps the garden room won't add much value. I couldnt say for sure. What is invaluable is the experience, even if you break even you'll have collected a mountain of knowledge for the real deal later. 

I'm afraid I know little about conservation areas although if planners are of much the same breed everywhere it needs to be either "exceptional design quality" or completely plesant and innocious. The latter is true here IMO if you bin the ugly dormer(s).

As to the ensuite, a shower would ideally be about 2.1m high minimum. Can you make this work? a shower tray recessedinto the floor might help.  A bed can happily live with the back against a 1.2m knee wall and a toilet not much more.

I'll stick to my guns on your architect.  They've shown a good understanding of the flow of a building, how light penetrates, where you want it (eg. kitchen) and where you don't ( by the tv)and how to route services, pipes etc.

A pencil drawing with some water colour washing would probably convince a lot of planners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

I'm afraid I know little about conservation areas although if planners are of much the same breed everywhere it needs to be either "exceptional design quality" or completely plesant and innocious. The latter is true here IMO if you bin the ugly dormer(s).

Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful. The conservation report suggested that as over the year character of the area has changed with various alterations to the properties (before the area was designated as conservation in late 1990s), hence they did  not apply article 4(2) direction and permitted development right have been allowed. This means that people have done further updates under permitted developments and asked for planning permissions etc which have been allowed subject to certain restrictions in most cases. On dormers, I am just taking the chances as the Architect told me; if the asked by the planners he would happily remove them and I am in the same position. Though dormers are not really pretty but I am 80% sure they would be coming out in any case due to potential objection and the property value does not allowe for more creative/prettier options.

Yes, indeed, I want to treat this as a test bed for the next project using same trades people for the later project and sourcing the material in the same way etc. 

Will be submitting the planning next week and will ask the architect for coloured drawing to complement the auto cad drawings. Let's see what he says.

• 5 months later...
On 15/02/2022 at 07:53, Zak S said:

The objective is to add maximum value

After quite a long break from the forum due to various circumstances I have returned with hope to get as before useful insights and share my experience. Starting with extension in conservation area, the application was withdrawn due to strong objection from conservation area officer. We met him on site afterwards and tried to built some rapport (did not work :) but after few iterations we manage to make him happy with the attached plan. His objection to add some features on the side wall (arched windows), reduce the size of side first floor extension, reduce the dormer from three to one and have timber styles garage door (behind which there would be a room) were all dealt with and resulted in the attached. Please let me know your thoughts if dormer would be worth it. What's your view view on the design and does all these extensions add value. Look forward to seeing insightful comments.

Screenshot_20220807-150906_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

4031-02F.pdf

Good work. Nice to see progress. 

Is there 2 x ensuites on the first floor master bedroom or is this a typo?

Thinking of the somewhat fierce temperatures that have been around recently I'd think carefully about overheating. 

The SW facing rooflights will be a real culprit. Maybe bin them or include external blinds. The large sliders/French doors will be easy to shade with brise solail or a pergola. 

Other than that it all looks well I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

Good work. Nice to see progress. 

Is there 2 x ensuites on the first floor master bedroom or is this a typo?

Thinking of the somewhat fierce temperatures that have been around recently I'd think carefully about overheating. 

The SW facing rooflights will be a real culprit. Maybe bin them or include external blinds. The large sliders/French doors will be easy to shade with brise solail or a pergola. 

Other than that it all looks well I think. 

Spot on...all the points :)

Yes It's the typo. The rear ensuitr is actually either single room or study/office.

On the overheating I won't go for the sky light. Not worth ad it get lots of sun anyways but on the plan just wanted to have the options. Thanks.