Suspended ceiling at openings

Not sure of the best way to deal with this.

The suspended system relies on tracks around the perimeter and then structs crossing it to form a grid.

I've got skylights and a stairwell to contend with. I need to construct somehow a 'structure' around these so the suspended ceiling trim can fix.

Any suggestions welcome

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

I'd treat skylight like a regular wall/window reveal. Eg plasterboard fixed to battens (or dot and dab?). Mesh reinforcement on the corners.

Edit: I suppose some batten off cuts could be used around the edge of the opening to provide blocks to screw plasterboard to.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

Serious hat on now...

How about builders band straps fixed to the inside of the skylight upstand. You could then timber frame around/below the skylight at whatever level.

What about metal stud wall channel shot fired up into the slab?

Just now, Onoff said:

Serious hat on now...

How about builders band straps fixed to the inside of the skylight upstand. You could then timber frame around/below the skylight at whatever level.

What about metal stud wall channel shot fired up into the slab?

What's a builders band? is it like LittleMix? ( I love them, though not the fat one )

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

I intend to keep them; even with suspend ceiling going in. Took me many years to grow those babies.

What would look good is a viewing panel set in the suspended ceiling, maybe some back lighting and you watch them grow over time.

43 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd deffo be using Gypframe metal stud for this. Much more stable I reckon than timber. 

+1 to this - shot fired into the concrete and it’s going nowhere. 

@pocster how are you insulating the insides of the skylights ..? Stop cold bridging. 

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

+1 to this - shot fired into the concrete and it’s going nowhere. 

@pocster how are you insulating the insides of the skylights ..? Stop cold bridging. 

This just the metal stud I use for walling ?

Was going to use aerogel for insulating 

Actually . Wouldn't it be better/easier to fix some straight 'L' angled steel from the top of the recess straight down vertically? i.e. say a length per corner?

Have to be careful with thickness though as got to aerogel/board/skim.

If this is a sensible idea - then what steel for this??? ( too much thinking today as it's Friday )

Edited by pocster