Rock, Rock and more Rock

Well we're certainly having some fun with groundworks this week! The quote of the day from the digger driver today was "what you have here boy is a bloody quarry" :) 

Even something as simple as a drainage trench is proving troublesome. Top middle in this picture you can see a scraped rock. We've had to get a pecker in tommrow to break it up as the 13T digger won't shift it. We've been moving rocks as big as 3-4ft all day. 

20170425_143125893_iOS.thumb.jpg.97f93d74d7e8dff006411fed261180dc.jpg

20170425_143147431_iOS.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics next week - a 30t is coming onsite to excavate the garage (And lift landscaping materials up the hill). We're digging the garge into the ground batcave style and think it's pretty much all rock.

Should be interesting!

15 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics next week - a 30t is coming onsite to excavate the garage (And lift landscaping materials up the hill). We're digging the garge into the ground batcave style and think it's pretty much all rock.

Should be interesting!

Crikey. 30T! That's a biggun!! 

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That must be a biggie if a 13t machine won't shift it.  Even my little 3t machine lifted this one (that's  a 2ft bucket to give some scale)

I think the correct term is "seam" rather than "rock" :D 

I've got old foundations to contend with too! What looked just a boggy bit of ground was in fact waterlogged due to the footings of some old structure. Got to v.careful so as not to disturb the clay drains running through.

Judging by how solid they are I'm sure they were built by the Germans who did the Jersey fortifications! I read somewhere they were forced to add coal ash/waste to their concrete mix due to supply issues and it turned out super strong! :)

Edited by Onoff

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

[...]Got to v.careful so as not to disturb the clay drains running through.[...]

We did disturb ours and so had to replace them. As soon as we relaid the drain, it ran merrily for a couple of days - whereas before there was a hardly discernible trickle. So, if you do break through the drain, it's not all bad news.

We'll be growing grass on top and having a couple of bee hives :-) The plan was to get our first colony thus year but think we will wait until next season. But yes,  hopefully it'll be pretty much h invisible from the house 

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

It's to dig out the garage which will be pretty much underground - so excavating 9m x 12m and around 2.5m down - think it's about £6k for that.  

1493269020.jpg

Does this include getting rid of your spoil? Or are you using what's excavated elsewhere?

I'm looking at excavation of roughly the same amount for our founds and trying to get some prices together.

36 minutes ago, Rossek9 said:

Does this include getting rid of your spoil? Or are you using what's excavated elsewhere?

I'm looking at excavation of roughly the same amount for our founds and trying to get some prices together.

That includes removal of spoil.  I had another prices that was higher but in the same ballpark.  

• Like 1