Current ASHP shortage

I ordered an ASHP + UFH system back in late September from Nu-Heat and while the UFH part has been delivered and fitted, there's no sign yet of the ASHP. Nu-Heat have been sending out apology emails blaming global supply chain issues, made worse by increased demand for not having delivered the heat pump. When I phoned them today, they still had no idea when they were likely to receive stock, placing my RHI application in serious jeopardy.

I was surprised not to see any mention of this shortage here - apologies if I missed it. If this is indeed a countrywide shortage, then there must be lots of us out there who bought ASHP systems in good faith relying on the RHI to balance the budget and are now likely to not get a penny, through no fault of our own. Have others experienced it and what, if anything, can be done about it?

There is a shortage of everything at the moment. The rush to catch RHI along with surging gas prices has increased demand for heat pumps. It seems that self builders will probably qualify for the boiler replacement scheme, according the the draft legislation.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

We are going to start fitting thousands of ASHP's to replace fossil fuel boilers, yet there are not enough ASHP's available to meet the present demand.  Good well thought out plan.

That is why there are incentives to install them.  It is an immature market in the UK at the moment, but that will change.

I remember the same argument used during the PV bubble, now you can pick up kit cheaper than windows.

59 minutes ago, J1mbo said:

TBF it's probably the semiconductor shortage, which is affecting everything electronic.

I'm working with automotive companies at the moment and there is also apparently a massive shortage of basic electronic components like ceramic capacitors and resistors.

We’ve been trying to buy new ovens and the likes of AO have about 55% of their lines out of stock.

47 minutes ago, Ralph said:

working with automotive companies at the moment and there is also apparently a massive shortage of basic electronic components like ceramic capacitors and resistors

They need to get there act together then.

https://supplychaindigital.com/sustainability/analysis-how-buoyant-tesla-defying-global-chip-shortage

37 minutes ago, Ralph said:

and there is also apparently a massive shortage of basic electronic components like ceramic capacitors and resistors.

That seems to be true. All the usual component suppliers websites I use are turning into wastelands. I wonder how much duff kit will come off production lines '21-'22 as manufacturers swap out parts for poorly considered alternatives. I know there's a growing pressure behind this.

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Tesla are impressive but I think they are still making a lot less cars than the top 10 or 20 producers by volume. Change management seems like a nightmare in the older behemoths.

21 minutes ago, Radian said:

That seems to be true. All the usual component suppliers websites I use are turning into wastelands. I wonder how much duff kit will come off production lines '21-'22 as manufacturers swap out parts for poorly considered alternatives. I know there's a growing pressure behind this.

That's a good point, QC in some of these companies was already suspect.

Specifically, I'm less worried about a supply chain delay (though naturally, I don't want it holding up the build) and more worried that a massive incentive (HSI), that frankly swayed me to ASHP in the first place is likely to be denied through no fault of my own. I'm naturally hoping that OFGEM extend the deadline given the situation, but I don't even see any evidence (other than my suppliers e-mails)