Water Supply

patp

Is there a form of language that I need to learn to get Anglian Water to understand me?

We want a supply of water to the new bungalow so that we can test the underfloor heating. They have supplied us with a "trickle" from a stop cock. I rang them and asked if we could have a proper supply and, after hours of discussion they said that our plumber could access the water supply pipe and create a "stand pipe". He (husband) has done this but a phone call to them to ask them to come out and turn the trickle into a decent flow so that we can fill the underfloor heating pipes throughout the bungalow. They do not seem to understand what it is that we want. All I keep getting told is that they will turn it on when every tap and toilet is fully installed and it is a sealed unit so that they can "test" it.

I did, eventually, persuade them to send an engineer because we are moving the caravan to the site and it needs a water supply so that we can live in it. I don't want him to come and go away again because there was a mix up.

I would be interested to know what they have done to make it a trickle.

If still not resolved I would move into the caravan and report it as a "fault"

Some heavy handed politics going on here with your water company I think?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, patp said:

I did, eventually, persuade them to send an engineer

Has he been? Surely he will understand when he gets there (or am I being optimistic ?‍♂️). I think it just depends what chap you get (realistic or company man!).

No he is due next Thursday. We have had so much trouble with other utilities that I am trying to get ahead of the game as I don't want him to suck in his breath and walk away! The guy on the other end of the phone had never heard of such a thing :(

I got a new supply from Anglian after much faffing about. The people in the office are mostly planners/administrators, I found the technicians very helpful once you get them on site. As mentioned, report it as a fault or even better, a suspect leak ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I would be interested to know what they have done to make it a trickle.

If still not resolved I would move into the caravan and report it as a "fault"

Some heavy handed politics going on here with your water company I think?

It seems to be a standard practice. They give you a "trickle" to facilitate the build I presume?

39 minutes ago, patp said:

It seems to be a standard practice. They give you a "trickle" to facilitate the build I presume?

Not standard practice, our temporary building supply is full flow and pressure. And not been billed for it since connection nearly a year ago ?

• Like 1

In my experience Anglian Water are useless.  I appled for a water connection last September & was given a connection date in December.  2 weeks before the agreed connection date they came to inspect my pipework & all was given the OK.  On the actual morning of connection they phoned me to cancel it as their road closure license had been refused, excuse was that Gigaclear were already using temp traffic lights further up the road.  Gigaclear had already been working on the road for 6 weeks, although apparently AW were unaware of this.

I now have a new connection date in Feb, supposedly after Gigaclear have finished their works.  I've been promised an investigation & appropriate compensation - watch this space...

That is, roughly, the term I have used but the telephone operators keep saying that the whole project has to be completed before they will turn on any water other than the trickle that they have already supplied.

5 hours ago, shuff27 said:

In my experience Anglian Water are useless.  I appled for a water connection last September & was given a connection date in December.  2 weeks before the agreed connection date they came to inspect my pipework & all was given the OK.  On the actual morning of connection they phoned me to cancel it as their road closure license had been refused, excuse was that Gigaclear were already using temp traffic lights further up the road.  Gigaclear had already been working on the road for 6 weeks, although apparently AW were unaware of this.

I now have a new connection date in Feb, supposedly after Gigaclear have finished their works.  I've been promised an investigation & appropriate compensation - watch this space...

Surely it would be better to have a road closure running in parallel with another one? Not wait for a road to open and then close it again? I am sure a similar thing happened near us recently. Locals were furious that having just got the road open it gets closed again! 

We do not need the road to be closed or anything other than for them to turn on the valve or whatever it is they do.

16 hours ago, patp said:

Surely it would be better to have a road closure running in parallel with another one? Not wait for a road to open and then close it again? I am sure a similar thing happened near us recently. Locals were furious that having just got the road open it gets closed again! 

We do not need the road to be closed or anything other than for them to turn on the valve or whatever it is they do.

Yes you would think so but utility companies are generally too incompetent to do it that way.  I'm actually having 2 separate road closures just for Anglian Water - 1 for the water supply & 1 for the sewer connection!  Different AW departments, you know, so of course they can't organise both jobs under 1 closure...also, each closure costs me around £2k for the license from Highways.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 16:28, dpmiller said:

have you looked at the valve yourself?

Yes, but husband is the most law abiding soul on the planet. He would not dream of "tapping in" to a supply unless it was legal to do so.

9 minutes ago, patp said:

Yes, but husband is the most law abiding soul on the planet. He would not dream of "tapping in" to a supply unless it was legal to do so.

He won't even check if it's accidentally half-closed?

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 13:22, patp said:

A, builder, neighbour has just sent me this   https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/siteassets/developers/temporary_building_supplies.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2ZzuZB2_7jAOZiKcmvtAeci4pWShcsc4_vioW7HSbtB0zBhFSX0k1PSRU

Now I know the terminology I can quote it to them.

There is nothing there to indicate delivering a dribble ?‍♂️,  as said by @dpmiller just check the valve is turned fully on.