Butt hinges vs Bullet hinges

Adsibob

I'm getting a crittall style front door from Fabco. I've been asked by Fabco whether I want steel butt Hhinges, which come as standard, or if I want to pay £40 extra to "upgrade" to steel bullet hinges. When I asked what the difference was in performance, they told me that their butt hinges were the hinges used when they had their system certified to PAS24, so if I wanted the hinges which have the certification I need to get butt hinges.

I am already deviating from the PAS24 design slightly, so I won't get the certification anyway, but just wondered if anyone else had knowledge of the differences? Is one more secure than the other? Or is it just an aesthetic choice?

15 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I'm getting a crittall style front door from Fabco. I've been asked by Fabco whether I want steel butt Hhinges, which come as standard, or if I want to pay £40 extra to "upgrade" to steel bullet hinges. When I asked what the difference was in performance, they told me that their butt hinges were the hinges used when they had their system certified to PAS24, so if I wanted the hinges which have the certification I need to get butt hinges.

I am already deviating from the PAS24 design slightly, so I won't get the certification anyway, but just wondered if anyone else had knowledge of the differences? Is one more secure than the other? Or is it just an aesthetic choice?

Butt hinges all day long 

I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for Bullet hinges 

The only reason I can see fir hinges to stick out more is to allow them to open further. I specified parliament hinges to our outward opening doors on the conservatory so they could open 180’ past the cills and be clipped open in summer.

• Like 1

So you haven't been opening them much this year John ?.  What a crap summer tbh - been somewhat rescued by a really nice autumn though otherwise I think I would have been playing with rope in my garage!

Edit - coz I can't spell!!!

Edited again - coz having 2 goes I still can't spell.  FFS!

Edited by Faz