Larch cladding... will it come down. Place your bets..

SuperJohnG

I have 100m2 of Siberian Larch to buy for my soffits and large canopy. 

It was originally Red cedar but that idea is firmly out the window. 

The price has significantly increased, hard to tell after covid - some places saying double from 3.40/lm to 8/lm. Others saying approx 30%. 

I have been quite frankly fannying around as I don't want to spend the money right now for fear of price dropping in say January - but it could also swing the other way. Hence I tried to rationalise getting a lesser amount and doing the essential bits needing done from scaffold then buying more later and do it from a tower.

I could get away with 20m2 just now, then get the other 80m2 later, but will get a better deal if I get the 100 and maybe just bite the bullet and pay for it all now. Worst case I think would be it could be £1000 cheaper if it ever dropped back down, but I don't think it will. 

I have kind of answered my own question but if anyone have any views of pricing - doesn't have to be fact, maybe just a view. Also quite happy to hear...that I shoudl stop messing around and just buy it. 

In terms of budget...it was shot ages I think so this won't make a massive amount of odds I don't think. 

39 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I think the timber price is steady now, perhaps discounts becoming slowly available, and will drop a little more.

Got to agree, COVID gave  suppliers an excuse to put prices up so they will not be coming back down to pre COVID levels, but there are good discounts to be had now supplies are pretty much back to normal, shipping costs are a pain with container shortage and inflated fuel prices.

USA is still buying up much of the European supplies following the fires and increase in demand for timber.

Edited by markc

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Why not Scottish larch, lower shipping costs, buy straight from the mill, much more stable prices.

IMG_20210805_143834~2.jpg

@JohnMo I think I had bypassed as it was all rough sawn more suited to board on board wall cladding, but I do actually prefer that colour as its closer to the red cedar look I wanted..I also notice you have it in your canopy, do you have any pictures of that? Also where did you get yours? 

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Why not Scottish larch

Because they are charging what they can, quite reasonably. I went to a small mill and they gave me a m3 price, but fairly said I would get standard timber cheaper at the merchants. 

JohnMo, that is beautiful. Are you letting it fade to dull grey, or staining it to keep the colour?

14 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

@JohnMo I think I had bypassed as it was all rough sawn more suited to board on board wall cladding, but I do actually prefer that colour as its closer to the red cedar look I wanted..I also notice you have it in your canopy, do you have any pictures of that? Also where did you get yours? 

16367918886327761204200180502834.jpg

16367932099318973116885596407168.jpg

• Thanks 1

When we bought ours (Siberian Larch) , I asked Paul from ProWood about price variability. - then the issue was Brexit. It did make a difference: but not all that much couple of hundred quid.

Buy when you have the money - and then let it go - DON'T look back. There's always some smart arisole who could have got it done / bought / mended / fixed at half the price.

Lovely cladding - dogs gonads ....

52 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Buy when you have the money - and then let it go - DON'T look back. There's always some smart arisole who could have got it done / bought / mended / fixed at half the price.

Lovely cladding - dogs gonads ....

+ 1 to that. Timber prices naturally fluctuate at any time and to predict what it's going to do as a layman is nigh on impossible.

23 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I have kind of answered my own question but if anyone have any views of pricing - doesn't have to be fact, maybe just a view. Also quite happy to hear...that I shoudl stop messing around and just buy it. 

In terms of budget...it was shot ages I think so this won't make a massive amount of odds I don't think. 

I reckon it's still going to take a good couple of years for the timber market to settle down as some of the supply difficulties are down to lower yields from forests due to poor winter conditions, adding to the whole mix. The other side to it is that supply of timber products has gradually fallen behind demand over the last decade or so, so any investment in additional production capacity will take some time. I suspect the only thing that will dramatically affect prices short-term is if there's a sudden crash in demand, possibly from China due to its precarious property market right now.

The problem is that as an individual, it's impossible to beat the market, so just buy when you can afford it. I'd also recommend just going for the whole lot. There's nothing worse than having a job partially completed on your mind and then having to re-engage in getting it finished later on down the road (or having the stress of having parts of the house exposed) - I've been there and I'm also partially in that situation due to supply problems over the last couple of years.

19 hours ago, JohnMo said:

a UV protection to keep colour

Do it soon as fading starts  immediately. At least the south facing as a priority.  I would give it a month of dry weather to move and shrink, otherwise there will be some gaps at joints.

I'm assuming this is straight from the mill and not kiln dried, and even that shrinks in my experience.

I didn't get any suggestion of any discount from that supplier, but their usp is any timber size to order.