Workshop "entry area" job.

zoothorn

27 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@markc is 40-45mm mortar sufficient? And Definitely no water? My bags are sharp'ish 25kg placcy bags, so a bit wet but not really.

thanks zooter

40-45mm is good. 
mix the sand and cement,  nothing wrong with adding a bit of water, you want it to make a good sand castle consistency … the cement then just makes it solidify.

43 minutes ago, markc said:

40-45mm is good. 
mix the sand and cement,  nothing wrong with adding a bit of water, you want it to make a good sand castle consistency … the cement then just makes it solidify.

If I mix a bit  'dry' (as a newbie might) will it still work? I mean I don't know of course yet, how imperative the mix's consistency is for whichever job.

I will learn in time.. my pooper job sagged so Id surmise too wet.. but ideally I do extra research, & get it acceptable the 1st time: not much money to burn the btm line you see.

Grateful- zh

58 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

If I mix a bit  'dry' (as a newbie might) will it still work? I mean I don't know of course yet, how imperative the mix's consistency is for whichever job.

I will learn in time.. my pooper job sagged so Id surmise too wet.. but ideally I do extra research, & get it acceptable the 1st time: not much money to burn the btm line you see.

Grateful- zh

Yes it will go off anyway from moisture out of the atmosphere or pulled up from the ground.

15 hours ago, markc said:

Yes it will go off anyway from moisture out of the atmosphere or pulled up from the ground.

understood markc. Im trying to avoid doing before or during heavy rain today, i guess would mess things up.

Raintoday weather radar site good.

What about ' grouting '? Ie a similar gap albeit 1cm here, to my 25mm H porch tiles. I presume not to use grout-?

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

understood markc. Im trying to avoid doing before or during heavy rain today, i guess would mess things up.

Raintoday weather radar site good.

What about ' grouting '? Ie a similar gap albeit 1cm here, to my 25mm H porch tiles. I presume not to use grout-?

Good afternoon Sir,

grout with sand and cement mixed as you did for the tank repair.

gap between slabs and step fill with pebbles or similar to easily drain water away

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markc said:

markc, this looks really really dry to me.. i just don't know if this is correct, & too whether I need any frostproofer & or admix?

FCE2D09B-E467-4744-8022-20EA6B820F71.jpeg

29 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

markc, this looks really really dry to me.. i just don't know if this is correct, & too whether I need any frostproofer & or admix?

FCE2D09B-E467-4744-8022-20EA6B820F71.jpeg

That is very dry sand, add a little water. If you could make a good sandcastle with the mix then it’s perfect

no need for any additives, plain water is fine

Edited by markc

Hi @markc I added about a pint max, sort of crumbly sandcastle i made it.. i think its both too dry, & too shallow too: i shovveled it on, spread to my step layer, raked even, then needed to press in my slabs of course.. meaning they're now an inch down. 

So only 2cm, of my bit too dry mortar as a bed. What do you think? Urgh, not very good job by me this.

Put slabs a big inch away from step so gravel can go in  gap. Some drizzle as its doing might help a bit. Done now tho.

Zoot, stop worrying about it, dry is ok. You are sitting slabs on it and it will go off. Not like laying bricks where you need mortar to Ouse into the frogs or holes. You can walk on the slabs straight away no problem with a good dry mix bed.

8 minutes ago, markc said:

Zoot, stop worrying about it, dry is ok. You are sitting slabs on it and it will go off. Not like laying bricks where you need mortar to Ouse into the frogs or holes. You can walk on the slabs straight away no problem with a good dry mix bed.

Wot e said above, if it’s going to rain lots just put some plastic over it but drizzle will actually help. Remember concrete/cement goes off chemically not by drying. If your worried about walking on it leave till tomorrow (but stepping carefully in the middle of the slabs will be ok) ?

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Wot e said above, if it’s going to rain lots just put some plastic over it but drizzle will actually help. Remember concrete/cement goes off chemically not by drying. If your worried about walking on it leave till tomorrow (but stepping carefully in the middle of the slabs will be ok) ?

Hi John. Thanks thats reassuring. I can't really understand the significance of chemical goings off.. such info leaves me with just a dumbass blank face. Not much different than my usual one then. You see I need to remind you, that I'm really quite thick.

Anyway a poor job.. mind not on it properly. They're not straight , or even sloping the right way for drainage.. i think i got the level bubble the wrong way round. I mean ffs. I'm still generally inept. Thx zoot.

14 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I'm still generally inept.

However your making an effort, not like some who simply rely on others to do things for them and not help themselves. Look back on what you have done with a little help from others here on the forum. Frankly I like helping others with the little knowledge I have gained from others in the past. I have leant soo much from members here despite being a retired builder myself. Every day is a school day.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

However your making an effort, not like some who simply rely on others to do things for them and not help themselves. Look back on what you have done with a little help from others here on the forum. Frankly I like helping others with the little knowledge I have gained from others in the past. I have leant soo much from members here despite being a retired builder myself. Every day is a school day.

Appreciated. Actually I do have fairly high standards despite my lack of knowledge, a bit of a perfectionist like Onoff too I think, can be npbeneficial. A little help from others-? I'm lucky enough to have had a mountain! Its just a bit annoying I cant give something back to you guys, only my barenaked ass that you can zoom in on. 

thx zoot.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

a bit of a perfectionist like Onoff too

Nah, I'm just special like you! ?

To be fair you do yourself down too much. You've pulled off some quality work on your projects. 

On 08/11/2021 at 16:22, zoothorn said:

452FF525-1B71-495B-B046-E2633CD7C836.jpeg

Am I seeing the bottom of the (very shallow) old wall foundations there with bare earth underneath them exposed?

If so you want to pull your paving slabs back a bit and first get a wall build there to retain that soil and keep it under the foundations.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Am I seeing the bottom of the (very shallow) old wall foundations there with bare earth underneath them exposed?

If so you want to pull your paving slabs back a bit and first get a wall build there to retain that soil and keep it under the foundations.

Ah nuts. Too late ProDave. Yes indeed that's what you see, the foundation corner coin is it called, & soil below has a bit of erosion ( very slow.. but this area alarms me).

With this job I intended to put a step down onto my slabs, then, address this corner area. The foundation stone I just cant think I should be seeing..  but builder & bco havent balked at it.

A Covering job maybe here? Possibly render onto the soil bit under the coin to keep it in check, then msybe another render layer over the lot? Or pull it out entirely is the last option.. I saw a Laurel & Hardy short & they did this.

Thx zoot.

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Nah, I'm just special like you! ?

To be fair you do yourself down too much. You've pulled off some quality work on your projects. 

That's cool Onoff. That bouys me up alot.

Am i allowed to say cool anymore being... shudder... 50? It feels kinda wrong.

6 hours ago, zoothorn said:

That's cool Onoff. That bouys me up alot.

Am i allowed to say cool anymore being... shudder... 50? It feels kinda wrong.

I'm 54 fella. Took my eldest to the pub the other week. (Think the pub in An American Werewolf In London only emptier and no Jenny Agutter!) Only me and him in there 

On the way back I apologised for him having to go up the pub on a Friday night with his "old" dad.

"That's alright, there's not many dad's your age like trance!"

I welled up I tell ya!

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm 54 fella. Took my eldest to the pub the other week. (Think the pub in An American Werewolf In London only emptier and no Jenny Agutter!) Only me and him in there 

On the way back I apologised for him having to go up the pub on a Friday night with his "old" dad.

"That's alright, there's not many dad's your age like trance!"

I welled up I tell ya!

Haha. He's got some nuts going t'pub with his old dad. Yup Im officially old then now, & cant use 'kinda' or cool now. But i still wait like a teenager for a new south park episode. Hmm.. tis complicated, this middleage lark. 

Chaps sorry for more Q's on this small job, but I'm a bit lost at this point. I believe it's " grout " the slab gaps with a 5:1 ' render' mix, as markc suggested. I'll use my grout float I guess.

Then it's what to do with a 2" D trench, around the outside, & this pesky foundation stone area (ie & the adjacent clay/ soil ground).

It's a 1.5" gap width, between the farside slab & the foundation stone/ adjacent ground.. the top of which is a good foot above slabs.

Thanks, zoot.