glazing price rises

cowsgomoo

anyone know if glazing price rises is going to go down next year?

we're wanting large aluminium sliding doors, 6.5 metres worth, and gable glazing but companies have all had several frequent price rises over the past few months, 4%, then 10% 2 weeks later, then maybe 2%. Surely this can't keep going?

we don't need them installed until next summer but I'm wondering whether to lock in prices and order now before further increases or gamble defer ordering until next year. 

supplier recommendations welcome also! so far we have looked at express bifold, IDsystems, Origin windows and Kloeber.... 

Edited by cowsgomoo

No one knows what will happen 

I suspect lower prices on thing in general will depend on demand for services and labour dropping 

Some of the larger building companies are starting to reduce labour rates 

Thanks all! 

59 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

Will they allow you to order now and firmly lock in the prices for something that will be manufactured/delivered in several months time?

Maybe, we'll see. We did ask one company and they said yes, another company said no. It's very tricky. 

It's also risky to commit to something like glazing so far out. 

Unfortunately, it's the picture were having to deal with at the moment. No one knows whether prices will stabilise, increase or go backwards.

Sadly, when a business knows the buying public will tolerate higher prices, they are usually reluctant to bring them down again.

1 hour ago, Makeitstop said:

It's also risky to commit to something like glazing so far out. 

Any particular reason for this? We have detailed tender drawings but I'll give it further precaution if it's sensible. 

Thanks all, I guess I'll discuss further with the builder we choose as we negotiate our contract. But the quote is already double our budget and my OH is too stubborn to compromise on anything until literally forced ? 

We have a serious amount of glazing to order at some point in the future (maybe next year) but until the openings they are going into are finished, I see no point taking the risk. It's very difficult to predict anything right now with regards to materials pricing.

The glazing ?  bank is being filled gradually as we speak. ?

5 hours ago, cowsgomoo said:

Any particular reason for this? We have detailed tender drawings but I'll give it further precaution if it's sensible. 

Thanks all, I guess I'll discuss further with the builder we choose as we negotiate our contract. But the quote is already double our budget and my OH is too stubborn to compromise on anything until literally forced ? 

My views on it are as was suggested in the few posts above this one, plus, the fact that "you" may adjust your thinking on what you'd like.

Having said that, if you can lock in a price, but with the scope to adjust at no penalty, then go fo it. 

Whether anyone would offer that I'm not sure.

Good to know your advice everyone! I didn't think we would be allowed to change opening sizes much due to our planning application and because they have to fit the steel ordered, but I could always be proven wrong

Edited by cowsgomoo

• 2 months later...
On 19/10/2021 at 08:33, cowsgomoo said:

we're wanting large aluminium sliding doors, 6.5 metres worth, and gable glazing but companies have all had several frequent price rises over the past few months, 4%, then 10% 2 weeks later, then maybe 2%. Surely this can't keep going?

we don't need them installed until next summer but I'm wondering whether to lock in prices and order now before further increases or gamble defer ordering until next year. 

supplier recommendations welcome also! so far we have looked at express bifold, IDsystems, Origin windows and Kloeber.... 

It's a competitive market.  We have had quotes from local, supply only through Kloeber, Vivafolio and IDsystems all but two have tried to secure the orders with buy now or prices will be increasing in January.  Its a competitive market and like timber prices, fluctuates.  Friend of mine works for a large timber merchant and he is saying that timber will be coming down within 8-10 weeks.  Im not one to be bullied in to panic buying, some of these glazing companies have very large margins so I would encourage you to stand firm be prepared to walk away and tell them to take the hit off their margin.

• 2 weeks later...

We paid a deposit on our glazing ~90m2 which includes 3 large sliding doors about 2 years ago! We of course never expected we'd not have it installed yet! A few things:

1) We paid the deposit across 3 credit cards to ensure we had "insurance" in the event of the company failing before installation

2) We negotiated a discount which we ensured was adhered to when we inevitably tweaked some design elements

3) We detailed the installation aspects and sill sizes to avoid add-ons later on

Given current pricing we're happy with this and pleased to say company is still in business and we're getting them installed later this month

23 hours ago, Adam2 said:

Given current pricing we're happy with this

I'm really surprised at this, considering the increases in raw material prices and the fact neither you nor they would have expected it be 2 years before production commenced. Unless they have been produced and have been sitting in storage for 2 years?

Edited by craig

1 hour ago, craig said:

Unless they have been produced and have been sitting in storage for 2 years?

When doing the deal we said we were in no rush to buy and said would be 1y+ but that was of course before covid so inevitably things took longer. We did pay a decent deposit and I don't think there is a minimum time from deposit to install in the contract so not sure what else they could have done. We finalised details in survey 4-5 months ago but they had a delay their side due to the anodising apparently so I guess that compounded the time delay - well that and meant I had to pay to cover up all the openings so we could continue working inside.... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2021 at 08:33, cowsgomoo said:

@cowsgomoo What did you end up doing in the end? Who did you buy from in the end and when are they getting fitted?

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an interesting chat with one of our suppliers and I was discussing costs as some timber is coming down. That's raw timber and not engineered timber. He sent me a comparison of his fuel bill for Dec/Jan, rounded up below.

31st Dec 8,100 eur (closed 22nd Dec)

31st Jan 15,700 eur (re-opened 10th Jan)

That will give you some idea of the costs that suppliers are incurring just in fuel. That will be similar (different figures obviously) with other suppliers. So glass suppliers, aluminium extruders, engineered timber suppliers etc. I don't see costs coming down anytime soon if I'm completely honest, I reckon another 12 months of uncertainty price wise.

On 22/01/2022 at 20:18, notreadyforthis said:

@cowsgomoo What did you end up doing in the end? Who did you buy from in the end and when are they getting fitted?

Hi we're going with Express Bifolds - we ordered December 2021 for fit in July 2022, and they stuck to their original quote (even though it had expired). We believe that prices have since increased.