Design Changes

Curtis

Glad you like it. Please let me know how you get in with your architect and please post your final design. I’ve suggested moving the front door and providing a small flat roof L-shaped canopy in zinc over the front door which I think could be a nice contrast the rest of the house.

27 minutes ago, ETC said:

Glad you like it. Please let me know how you get in with your architect and please post your final design. I’ve suggested moving the front door and providing a small flat roof L-shaped canopy in zinc over the front door which I think could be a nice contrast the rest of the house.

I did see that on the canopy, we want the roof to be in metal so we would just extend the roofline for that section and that will work well.

Yea i will do i'll keep everyone updated, really appreciate all the posts from everyone on the forum!!

• 1 month later...

We are at the point where we may pull out of purchasing the land that the the designs in this thread relates to, the whole process with the solicitors has been infuriating, I don't understand why things are taking so long.  The solicitors are both blaming eachother for sub-standard work and delays, we made the verbal offer at the end of July and we seem no closer to completing on the land.

But also my partner is now really concerned that the cost of building the house despite it only being 115m2 is going to be way beyond what we hope to build it for which is £250k and with delays getting materials and even electric which has a 7 month wait here in Scotland we might not even get into the house until end of 2023. 

What's peoples thoughts on material prices and material delays, do you see any improvements or do you think things will get worse?

If anyone has built recently especially in Scotland and can give an idea to the current average price per sqm that would be appreciated.

Thanks

My offer on the plot was accepted in February and we completed the purchase in July. If I had the choice again I would have opted out, but it's too late now. 

Means doing more of the work myself and going for a cheaper finish. 

Materials prices and lead times are crazy. Yesterday I had a small victory - after much phoning around managed to find an independent building merchant with 227 creasing tiles in stock and bought the whole lot. The national chain sheds were quoting "after Christmas".

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

If anyone has built recently especially in Scotland and can give an idea to the current average price per sqm that would be appreciated

We're just finishing up. I don't expect to spend any more money on materials. It's likely to cost ~£1300/sqm.  That's for 137m2, all costs excl. Land.  I think it's a reasonable cost given figures quoted by others on here. We did quite a lot of work ourselves, but also spent quite a bit on labour. If I remove the majority of the labour cost (excl. UVC installation and electrical work as I realistically couldn't do them myself) then it works out about £1050/m2. Our utilities costs were high as we're in the sticks.

Everyone will give you different values, so make sure you understand the assumptions behind £/m2 values given. 

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Curtis you’re looking at over £2k/sqm so a decent budget and nothing non standard other than the roof in zinc. Can’t see why you can’t hit that number to be honest. 

Agreed. My budget is based on £1500 per sqm, but that was based on costs 9 months ago. I'm now anticipating an overspend of approx £30k which is going to make life difficult. 

1 hour ago, shuff27 said:

My offer on the plot was accepted in February and we completed the purchase in July. If I had the choice again I would have opted out, but it's too late now. 

Means doing more of the work myself and going for a cheaper finish. 

Materials prices and lead times are crazy. Yesterday I had a small victory - after much phoning around managed to find an independent building merchant with 227 creasing tiles in stock and bought the whole lot. The national chain sheds were quoting "after Christmas".

What materials have you found to have the worst leed times?

1 hour ago, jamieled said:

We're just finishing up. I don't expect to spend any more money on materials. It's likely to cost ~£1300/sqm.  That's for 137m2, all costs excl. Land.  I think it's a reasonable cost given figures quoted by others on here. We did quite a lot of work ourselves, but also spent quite a bit on labour. If I remove the majority of the labour cost (excl. UVC installation and electrical work as I realistically couldn't do them myself) then it works out about £1050/m2. Our utilities costs were high as we're in the sticks.

Everyone will give you different values, so make sure you understand the assumptions behind £/m2 values given. 

What parts of the work did you do yourselves?  We are looking at 30k for services as we're in the sticks as well, so does the 1300 per m2 include services?  I see you said excluding land and thats the same for us.

56 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Curtis you’re looking at over £2k/sqm so a decent budget and nothing non standard other than the roof in zinc. Can’t see why you can’t hit that number to be honest. 

We're thinking about a corragated iron roof now so not even zinc, we do have a lot of glass in our build which i presume will be a problem with price and delays

Just now, Curtis said:

we do have a lot of glass in our build which i presume will be a problem with price and delays

Why..?? Go with a blockwork skin both sides, get a decent joiner to make you frames for building in the windows and order them when you put the footings in. Don’t go mad, go with a decent brand but standard designs and you’ve probably got a 9-12 week lead time. 

As you’ve not got planning yet I wouldn’t be value engineering the zinc out, and I think you’d be surprised at the cost tbh. 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why..?? Go with a blockwork skin both sides, get a decent joiner to make you frames for building in the windows and order them when you put the footings in. Don’t go mad, go with a decent brand but standard designs and you’ve probably got a 9-12 week lead time. 

As you’ve not got planning yet I wouldn’t be value engineering the zinc out, and I think you’d be surprised at the cost tbh. 

i had read that windows had big lead times, we were hoping to put in triple glazed.

I like the standing seamed roofs, they look good but i don't actually mind corragated iron roofs especially as we are going for a wood clad so in reality its gonna look like a rural building / shed like

Worst lead time so far is 5 months for ordinary clay roof tiles - already ordered them even though I haven't even done the foundations yet. 

English bricks were also 4-5 months, got round that by buying Belgian bricks which amazingly were delivered in about 3 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, shuff27 said:

Worst lead time so far is 5 months for ordinary clay roof tiles - already ordered them even though I haven't even done the foundations yet. 

English bricks were also 4-5 months, got round that by buying Belgian bricks which amazingly were delivered in about 3 weeks. 

seems nuts you can get belgian bricks sooner than english, so i take it your recommendation would be to order as soon as possible?

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

The solicitors are both blaming each other for sub-standard work and delays

Keep on the pressure and as soon as it's done change solicitor. We had a similar situation. It was frustrating at the time but we got through. 

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

115m2 is going to be way beyond what we hope to build it for which is £250k

More than dooable with a very straight forward design and avoid at all costs experimental or expensive materials + methods. Put the bulk of the budget into the structure.

A second hand kitchen could get you going and easily save a 5 figure sum. Some shake hardner (£15/m2) on concrete floors will give you a lifetime floor for cheap. 

https://mollyglass2012.tumblr.com/post/48513565871/google-concrete-floors 

If you're going wood clad I'd opt for timber frame. It's a nice fit.

If you're worried about material availability visit some local builders merchants and simply quiz them about what's always in stock. Tailor your house to suit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Keep on the pressure and as soon as it's done change solicitor. We had a similar situation. It was frustrating at the time but we got through. 

More than dooable with a very straight forward design and avoid at all costs experimental or expensive materials + methods. Put the bulk of the budget into the structure.

A second hand kitchen could get you going and easily save a 5 figure sum. Some shake hardner (£15/m2) on concrete floors will give you a lifetime floor for cheap. 

https://mollyglass2012.tumblr.com/post/48513565871/google-concrete-floors 

If you're going wood clad I'd opt for timber frame. It's a nice fit.

If you're worried about material availability visit some local builders merchants and simply quiz them about what's always in stock. Tailor your house to suit. 

My solicitor was at the point of walking end of last week, i asked her why things were taking so long and she said said she was really busy and would respond to sellers solicitor asap, when i asked her if house purchases she was involved with were taking priority over my land transaction she threatened to walk because i was questioning her commitment even though she said yes house transactions took priority because they have completion dates.

Yea plan is timber frame, timber clad and metal roof but with a heap of glass 

17 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Yea plan is timber frame, timber clad and metal roof but with a heap of glass 

Right so you will have exact measurements from the frame manufacturer for your windows. 

I reckon you won’t have too many issues - the only one may be getting the frame but Dan-Wood are now manufacturing in Poland and reckon they can turn around fairly quick. 

36 minutes ago, Curtis said:

seems nuts you can get belgian bricks sooner than english, so i take it your recommendation would be to order as soon as possible?

I believe scheduling accurately is often an issue for self builders even in normal times. Long lead times increase unpredictability. Hence I've ordered roof tiles now on the basis that my timber frame is due around mid February. But what happens if that's delayed and my brickie for the facing walls takes on another job because I'm not ready for him? Constantly having to think 10 steps ahead is stressful...but I was kinda expecting that. 

Worst lead time so far is 5 months for ordinary clay roof tiles

I am still waiting for mine to arrive , ordered back in June with a delivery date of October 11th ,never turned up ,builder is going nuts at the supplier as he can't drop the scaffolding until the roof is done , ordered a different clay tile ( 2.5k more expensive) should be on site 8th December. 

Glass was not an issue about 8 weeks from order just can't fit them yet .

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Right so you will have exact measurements from the frame manufacturer for your windows. 

I reckon you won’t have too many issues - the only one may be getting the frame but Dan-Wood are now manufacturing in Poland and reckon they can turn around fairly quick. 

Cheers for advice, Dan-Wood was definately one of the suppliers we were thinking about as we know someone who works for them

3 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Worst lead time so far is 5 months for ordinary clay roof tiles

I am still waiting for mine to arrive , ordered back in June with a delivery date of October 11th ,never turned up ,builder is going nuts at the supplier as he can't drop the scaffolding until the roof is done , ordered a different clay tile ( 2.5k more expensive) should be on site 8th December. 

Glass was not an issue about 8 weeks from order just can't fit them yet .

Standard glass sizes or a lot of custom? Few folk have mentioned clay tiles as being a headache

53 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Carlton Brick works is just round the corner from me … they have sold their entire production for the next 18 months, they have never seen demand like this before, 3 years ago the yard was full and they were struggling

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

What parts of the work did you do yourselves?  We are looking at 30k for services as we're in the sticks as well, so does the 1300 per m2 include services?  I see you said excluding land and thats the same for us

We did roofing, guttering, velux install, cladding, boarding for insulation, foul and sw drainage,  private water supply installation, landscaping and most of the internal fit out. Most of the labour costs were in groundworks,  founds and framing. Costs include utilities ~£20k.

3 minutes ago, markc said:

Carlton Brick works is just round the corner from me … they have sold their entire production for the next 18 months, they have never seen demand like this before, 3 years ago the yard was full and they were struggling

Good that they are keeping production and jobs in UK going but good job i don't need those bricks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamieled said:

We did roofing, guttering, velux install, cladding, boarding for insulation, foul and sw drainage,  private water supply installation, landscaping and most of the internal fit out. Most of the labour costs were in groundworks,  founds and framing. Costs include utilities ~£20k.

Ooooft that's a lot, can you even begin to estimate what you saved doing this yourself?

15 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Standard glass sizes or a lot of custom? Few folk have mentioned clay tiles as being a headache

I suppose it depends and what you call custom , we have a couple of triangular windows but everything else i would class as nothing out of the ordinary .

46 minutes ago, Curtis said:

she threatened to walk

It's tricky as they hold the keys to the law from a lay persons perspective. Maybe if you think this is a beneficial path make a query to another solicitor who isn't involved to explore the consequences. 

46 minutes ago, Curtis said:

heap of glass

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

Clever design will give you plenty light and views without going to town on glazing. More glass means more heating and overheating, more steel and more expense.