Door Handles hard to turn - Arthritis

mike2016

Hi - my Mum mentioned that all her interior door handles are very hard to turn. I can see what she means, she has arthritis so this is a problem for her daily. Is there any way to loosen the mechanism / spring behind the handle or does it require replacing something? If so are the door lock sets a standard size or not? Or is it just a case of trying 3 in 1 first? Thanks. 

The simplest solution, is a door handle extender. Works on the same principle of leverage and longer gives more leverage and easier to operate. They ain't the prettiest but do work. Whether it helps your mum is a different question. You may need to buy one and try it before buying more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=door+handle+extender&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Like 2

So took 'ol WD40 lubricant with PTFE to the mechanism and it's easier to use but still not as easy as I would like. 

There are springs inside the handle on either side of the door so that means to open the door you have 3 springs to work against, rather than just one. (Handle,mortice,Handle)

Is it possible to disable these or do you have to replace the whole handle/mounting on either side of the door with an exact match? That would just leave the mortice spring which would be much easier on my Mum. 

Thanks. 

Handle Inside.jpg

Handle outside.jpg

yes you can easily remove the springs from the handles.

use 1 handle but not screwed to door to check the latch moves freely.

assuming it does, try each handle, you will probably find one or both handles are notchy.

if both seem smooth, remove the spring from one, re assemble and try it again, remove other handle spring if necessary

• Like 1