Is the NSBRC worth a visit

Hi all

As I'm planning on starting my selfbuild early next year, is the NSBRC worth a visit

its a fair round trip from Norwich to Swindon, so thought i'd ask you guy's if you think it might be worth the trip.

We can't go to the open event in October due to work.

Any feedback gratefully received

Yes, I went twice; took loads of photos which were useful as a starting point for my own thinking.

Please don't forget to do your Due Diligence if you are contemplating buying any of the services or products on offer there. The NSBRC appears to me to confer a mantle of respectability which, in the case of some companies, is absent.

I visited when the main annual show was running and liked the combination of talks, manned commercial stands and the static year round displays. I doubt the static displays alone would provide more than an hour or two of interest unless your plans are very well advanced and you need to take detailed how-to notes.

We stayed at a hotel 20 minutes down the road which turned the visit into a treat rather than the more typical option of an M4 motel.

https://oldbellhotel.co.uk/

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Thanks for the replies, yes we were planning on taking the motorhome and staying at a nearby campsite, which would give us the option of a return visit the following morning if needed. 

Thanks Nick, looks like there's also a BiuldIt Live in February in Kent which is closer to home

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

Thanks for the replies, yes we were planning on taking the motorhome and staying at a nearby campsite, which would give us the option of a return visit the following morning if needed. 

For what's it worth, when my folks bring their caravan down they always stay in the Cirencester club site which is a very well kept site and within walking distance of Cirencester and not too far a drive from Swindon. I suppose in a motorhome you might be less reliant on the facilities though, and I bet you could almost get away with staying right by the NSBRC given it's tucked away in an industrial/office estate!

Edited by MJNewton

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

For what's it worth, when my folks bring their caravan down they always stay in the Cirencester club site which is a very well kept site and within walking distance of Cirencester and not too far a drive from Swindon. I suppose in a motorhome you might be less reliant on the facilities though, and I bet you could almost get away with staying right by the NSBRC given it's tucked away in an industrial/office estate!

Yes we considered just wild camping in a car park, but even though our motorhome does have all facilities I do prefer to use a proper size toilet, so we'd rather stay at a campsite,

I'll have a look at the Cirencester Site.   

4 hours ago, Chanmenie said:

Thanks Nick, looks like there's also a BiuldIt Live in February in Kent which is closer to home

I did three shows in 1 year and found the Bicester show a small fraction of the size of the big NEC show earlier in the year. Within 4 hours I was bored with the limited scope of the Bicester show whereas after 2 full days at the NEC I could have stayed longer, I hope the NEC show restarts.

All these shows have filler material from hot tubs to overpriced ceramic knives and coleslaw makers.

We (other half who is a time served plumber) went on an "update your heating and ventilating skills" course there and he said it was very worth while.

We also did the Potton Homes self builders course which was also very useful. Not just about timber framed houses either. We are building a traditional build, knew some of it already, but still learned lots.