Help on foundation

Kelvin S

I am looking for help on what my existing house foundations could be. I have dug a trial pit on the corner of my house as I am looking to do a small double storey extension and have come across this below. Any idea of what this could be and what I need to do for my extension? It is concrete and it angles into the ground. It is possible that the foundations is piled.

8FC0FF45-3D10-4769-9959-6224A5593165.jpeg

+1for building inspector,  lots of could be’s too thin to be footing concrete, could be the top of pile, then the slab on top of it looks a bit thin at about 225mm but with plenty of piles might be ok 

can you get original plans from the LA - would be worth paying for 

It is concrete. I got building control and there were not really sure and find out by starting the extension. Don’t really want to start the work until I know how much the cost will be. The house is only 20 years old. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. 

5C0FA136-F5D2-4EE7-BF45-18F2AD2C867E.jpeg

Is that concrete under the main brickwork? If so then it looks to me just like a slightly bodged pier footing. As if they had forgotten the pier,  scraped a bit of earth out and put concrete in it.

If not that then a bit worse, a bit of masonry in the hole on a bit of an angle then spare bricks then the proper wall.

Poss just a skin of bricks against the main wall until up past the concrete.

Prob ok to tidy it up, and infill with concrete under it, 'vibrated' in well with a bit of 2x2.  

BI can look and prob agree to that or other pragmatic solution.

Your BCO will be able to check their records to see what was built. The the records should be in the BCO archive. The BCO will more than likely ask you to excavate your new trenches lower than the existing house foundation and the type of foundation should be determined by the ground conditions. If the BCO thinks you need anything other than a standard strip foundation you will be asked to get a SE to look at the foundation design.

I doubt it is piled, looks like a shallow strip found, sadly many larger developments have been getting away with pretty poor foundations. I’ve seen loads recently that are little more than scraped indentations (as opposed to trenches) with around 300mm of concrete thrown in.

I feel sorry for the buyer because they are likely to have major issues coming up.

1 hour ago, markc said:

I doubt it is piled, looks like a shallow strip found, sadly many larger developments have been getting away with pretty poor foundations. I’ve seen loads recently that are little more than scraped indentations (as opposed to trenches) with around 300mm of concrete thrown in.

I feel sorry for the buyer because they are likely to have major issues coming up.

If the ground conditions are suitable, 300mm depth of concrete would be fine.  I think 200mm is regarded as the minimum acceptable but must be deep enough not to be affected by frost.

• Thanks 1