Tree - does it need to be removed?

richo106

Hi 

We are planning to have an extension in the next 18 - 24 months at our bungalow, where the extension will go there is a large ish tree there at the minute. Obviously this tree will be removed before works starts but my mate made a comment in passing saying that he thought trees needed to be removed 2 years before work starts?

Is there any truth in this? Or am I ok just to remove tree prior to work starting?

Many Thanks

I expect foundation design can mitigate any risk to the extension, but perhaps need to consider damage to existing foundations through heave if the tree is close, depending on soil type and tree size.  It may need to be removed over the course of a couple of years; get some expert advice.

• Like 2

Sooner rather than later to allow the ground to stabilise… moisture wise.

no specific time frame but if you remove the tree now and dig the root bowl out the remaining roots will sort themselves.

• Like 2

All above agreed, but also your friend is right but a little cautious for most situations. Some repetition:

1. Don't let anyone see it, so gone asap.  Not because it is illegal, simply to avoid explanations and complexities

2. The longer it is out the longer the ground has to recover. As we have had a wet summer, the ground should not have shrunk too much.

Then the winter is likely to be enough to get back to stability.

But depends on tree size and variety, and ground type. Can you advise?

Pine in sand is no problem. Oak in clay might be.

3. I would leave the roots where they are. The loosening of the earth from digging out will exceed the gaps left when the roots rot.

By all means remove big surface roots, and the trunk under the surface. Is that what a 'root bowl' is?