Planning permission decision date

Digger1

The decision date for our planning permission is next week. 

Since applying for PP we have not heard from the case officer in terms of wanting to do a site visit or questioning anything on our application.  Is this normal?  What usually happens in the deadline week?  (nothing?) 

Depends vastly on the area you are in, but the general way it goes here now is you don't hear anything at all for until at least 5 weeks after deadline at which point it's summarily rejected for not having the right sort of bat report.

• Haha 2

Have you had the site notice put up? Have there been any comments submitted? Have any of the statutory consultee responses been uploaded?

Depending on the above you'll know whether they've been working on it quietly or not at all.

Our full planning has gone in today 

We where advised by the Architect to do all the surveys Newt Bat Bird Tre even though there is mainly hedges 

Because as above Planners are waiting 5 weeks then asking for the survey 

Hes also told us there is little chance that planner will ever visit our plots 

Our previous build was visited twice by planners and three times by Heritage 

Fingers crossed for you 

You can always phone up and ask.

I would make a point of asking, so you know what is happening and whether there is any BS you need to kill, or serious stuff that needs attention - up to and including whether you need to reconsider your App.

34 minutes ago, Digger1 said:

...Is this normal?  What usually happens in the deadline week?  (nothing?) 

Yes. Nothing. Yes.

Use the stress you feel to plan every last detail of your house. If you are anything like most of us here ( well, there's a couple of exceptions to that rule) you're going to make annoyingly expensive  changes in design - now's the time to reduce that cost by planning.

32 minutes ago, joth said:

Depends vastly on the area you are in, but the general way it goes here now is you don't hear anything at all for until at least 5 weeks after deadline at which point it's summarily rejected for not having the right sort of bat report.

Ours was rejected as the flood risk assessment was 3 years old. We have a stream at the bottom of the garden which dries unless there has been a lot of rainfall, and in which case is only 2 feet wide 6 inches deep max. We are building 10m in elevation above the stream so if we were to be flooded so would 99.99999999% of the country.

The "old" report was highlighted when the planning officer sent his recommendation to his manager which was months after the due date.

*&^king planners 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy brown said:

Ours was rejected as the flood risk assessment was 3 years old. We have a stream at the bottom of the garden which dries unless there has been a lot of rainfall, and in which case is only 2 feet wide 6 inches deep max. We are building 10m in elevation above the stream so if we were to be flooded so would 99.99999999% of the country.

The "old" report was highlighted when the planning officer sent his recommendation to his manager which was months after the due date.

*&^king planners 

If it was in date at the point of application, then imo that should have been OK.

Sorry you lost on that basis.

37 minutes ago, SuperPav said:

Have you had the site notice put up? Have there been any comments submitted? Have any of the statutory consultee responses been uploaded?

Depending on the above you'll know whether they've been working on it quietly or not at all.

Not seen a site notice, but they have certainly contacted neighbours regarding the application.

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

You can always phone up and ask.

I would make a point of asking, so you know what is happening and whether there is any BS you need to kill, or serious stuff that needs attention - up to and including whether you need to reconsider your App.

Impossible to get through on the phone.  Ive tried many times and you cant leave a message either!

Are any of the following documents on the planning portal:

1) Requisite Site Notice

2) Documents uploaded by the planning officer

3) Documents uploaded by statutory consultees (e.g. Highways Agency, Environmental Agency, Conservation Officer, Ecology/Biodiversity officer, Parish/Town council)?

4) Public comments on the application?

I was in a similar boat.

(although the planning officer did get in touch after about 6 weeks to say having now had the opportunity to view the site they had concerns with regards to the size of my proposed extension. Considered excessive in relation to the main dwelinghouse and should be reduced. 'I would be grateful to receive amended plans, showing a reduction in size'. There was no mention of how much exactly I was pushing my luck so I phoned up and essentially said the size is as I see apropriate to be worth doing, and reduction was not an option so would appeal if required)

Heard nothing further and on the date of the 8th week I phoned up to say I was expecting a decision by today. They sent me a form to sign straight away to accept an extension (week or 2 weeks from memory) which I signed and the next day I received approval. 

The above was during covid. If I was in your shoes based on my experience above, I would wait until the 8 week mark and chase it although it may well be on their radar. 

I understand they have some breathing room if they don't validate the application, but if it's on the portal and the 30 day consultation period has passed then that shouldn't be the case.

1 hour ago, SuperPav said:

Are any of the following documents on the planning portal:

1) Requisite Site Notice

2) Documents uploaded by the planning officer

3) Documents uploaded by statutory consultees (e.g. Highways Agency, Environmental Agency, Conservation Officer, Ecology/Biodiversity officer, Parish/Town council)?

4) Public comments on the application?

There are letters from the public, moaning, along with my plans, application form and CIL docs.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an email from the planning officer asking for some photo's of the site.  He also said the decision would be outside the 8 weeks (it already is) but he failed to give any indication of how long it might take and didnt request an extension..

Whats best, just let them get on with it or press for a timescale?

1 hour ago, Digger1 said:

Had an email from the planning officer asking for some photo's of the site.  He also said the decision would be outside the 8 weeks (it already is) but he failed to give any indication of how long it might take and didnt request an extension..

Whats best, just let them get on with it or press for a timescale?

To quote the planning portal:

'The authority should be able to give you an idea about the likely timetable. If it cannot decide your application within eight weeks, it should obtain your written consent to extend the period. If it has not done so, you can appeal to the Secretary of State. But appeals can take several months to decide and it may be quicker to reach agreement with the LPA. You can find out more about the appeals process in the planning section of the portal website.'

I would respond to his email to confirm receipt and follow on to ask what current timescale they are working to.

we didn't see anyone visit our site, but when we had the first refusal they said they had been.

but, for the 2nd app they didn't come again, another refusal

the 3rd app was approved, but no additional visits and no plan changes, just a contamination survey included

• 2 weeks later...

Now 10 weeks since my application was registered.  Have tried calling and emailing the planning officer (part time!)-, who never answers the phone or responds to emails.  Have called the council to enquire over the timescale planning applications are currently taking.  They wont put you through to the planning dept and refer you to your case officer.  Annoying!