Foundation Blocks

MonkeyTom

Hello,

New to the site and to building but just poured some concrete founds. Foundation blocks seem hard to get hold of at the moment. Is anybody else having this problem at the moment. Has anybody worked out the best and most cost effective alternative?

Hello and welcome, where in the world are you building? This affects supply. Also there are loads of people struggling to get supplies at the moment, the demand has rocketed while supplies are down due to covid

Thank you for the reply tonyshouse. I've already filled the founds to 450mm below ground. Do you know whether I can overfill the foundation to bring it up and whether this could cause an issue with integrity / building regs? It does otherwise seem like a good solution.

12 minutes ago, MonkeyTom said:

Thank you for the reply tonyshouse. I've already filled the founds to 450mm below ground. Do you know whether I can overfill the foundation to bring it up and whether this could cause an issue with integrity / building regs? It does otherwise seem like a good solution.

My understanding with trench fill is you typically bring it to 150mm below ground level.

Though one thing you may want to consider is because you are pouring two layers of foundation, you may need to structurally link them with rebar.

like this in vertical

https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/4-foundations/4-3-strip-and-trench-fill-foundations/4-3-13-construction-joints/

I have just done this, where the footings are about to be poured over a mass foundation as below (i embedded the rebar in just after the pour)

1235403449_20210802_121445(Large).thumb.jpg.13d780a4336aea5368687bfcfa399c1d.jpg

in your case if you want to do this, you are going to have to drill into the existing concrete and affix rebar studs in it

Edited by Moonshine

22 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Though one thing you may want to consider is because you are pouring two layers of foundation, you may need to structurally link them with rebar.

No this should not be required if they are just being topped up.  Clear it first with BCO.

Edited by Mr Punter

Has any long term studies been done with Aircrete foundation blocks below ground? My place is on them. Manufacturers used to say they handle freeze thaw better due to air but is that just a gimmick? I suppose once earth is compacted either side of wall where can it go

4 hours ago, MonkeyTom said:

Hello,

New to the site and to building but just poured some concrete founds. Foundation blocks seem hard to get hold of at the moment. Is anybody else having this problem at the moment. Has anybody worked out the best and most cost effective alternative?

Hello MonkeyTom.

3 hours ago, dangti6 said:

Block on flat? 

41 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

use 7n blocks and fill the cav.

Good options above. Post what width of wall you need to build and the depth from finished ground level to top of found and you should get some more detailed suggestions.

28 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Has any long term studies been done with Aircrete foundation blocks below ground? My place is on them. Manufacturers used to say they handle freeze thaw better due to air but is that just a gimmick? I suppose once earth is compacted either side of wall where can it go

Oz07. Don't know if long terms studies have been done but I don't think it's a gimmick as the blocks should have been subject to a freeze thaw test to determine durability before being approved to sell. Aside..if anyone is tempted to buy "seconds" i.e ones going cheep make sure you know why they are cheep and that they are still ok! Fine maybe for a garden shed / green house base but your house?

We know for example that air entrained concrete is more resistant to freezing effects as simplistically the air bubbles give space for the ice crystals to grow into. Aircrete block have plenty "bubbles"