Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

the boards aren’t cut very straight.

If you've seen them going through the mill, they cut straight then immediately distort with the changes in internal tensions.

If it is a moulding, the operator selects which way up to put it through to minimise this.

They may be regularised to some extent but will often distort further between mill and delivery.

I don't know if there is some standard on the acceptable bend. I do know I have often rejected distorted timbers without argument from the merchant.

It’s not a bend in the board, although we’ve had a couple of those,  it’s the cuts that aren’t straight. We’ve lasered the starting board and made moulds and spacers to line the rest of the boards up but sometimes the spacers don’t fit. We’re working around it though as you can’t see it on the wall. 

22 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

That sounds very relaxed and pragmatic for you, compared to previous challenges. 

It’s so beautiful and rustic. It’s exactly what I hoped it would be. Better in fact. You know what it’s like when you make these big aesthetic decisions, it’s really hard to visualise what it will all look like together. But the combination of the standing seam roof and this rustic farm building board on board cladding is perfect. 

• Like 1

Excellent. Rustic timber and precise metalwork.  The other way round wouldn't work so well.

You say you've gone for the treatment that makes the greying, sorry silvering, faster and consistent.  It would be great if you can report on this transition from time to time.

I declare now that I am not a fan of silvering. The architects show golden timber in their publicity shots, and later  justify the greying as intended and natural, but don't change the picture. It can be worse with chestnut or redwood though.

Too often I've seen it going scabby, so good luck with yours.  I think it is important that there are no areas of splashing or running water  (eg off your window flashings and sills), so that it is consistent.

• Like 1

Yes I’m interested to see how it goes too 😂 

The Sioo:X treatment helps avoid all the variation hopefully (protected areas remain orangey and the rest goes grey) which is what I don’t like about timber cladding. Water accelerates the process. It changes the structure of the wood using silicon and potassium to protect and strengthen the structure of timber which also speeds up and enhances the silvering process in a consistent way. It’ll apparently go a bit streaky to start with. 

I’ve made the cills deeper than was designed (170mm vs 150mm) and a few tests show  water dripping off the cill and missing the building. 

Edited by Kelvin

Looks like your cladding will be great. We have a lot more windows on our clad elevation and debated spacing for far longer than we should have, and decided to adjust spacing to allow for full width boards around windows but in hindsight I'd just have kept to 75mm and adjusted slightly if needed around the window cuts. Going board on board is a pain for insect mesh, particularly when you've two vertical boards like we had. Another in hindsight moment but I would have taken the full height Douglas Fir,cut to length, that we were offered rather than having to cut every single larch board multiple times on site. Wood adds a lot of character but I didn't find it's prevalence for giving squinty boards all that charming. 

Fitted the Rehau manifolds today and all the appliance ends. Took a bit of practice with the forming tools to get the fittings right. Makes for a neat install given we have 19 pipes there. 

E8FE0882-DBB7-4F09-923B-82AE542B3D4B.thumb.jpeg.2a638e3fef4012d4e98abf1d8ee6c97c.jpeg

• Like 2

I thought so too but both the supplier and Rehau technical said it was fine. It’s part of the standard kit they sent me. These are the pipes to the island sink so are under the floor. 

A little result today. 

After building the borehole headworks I’ve struggled to find a suitable lid and frame for it. I bought a Clark Drain lid but it’s crap as the frame is too flimsy and the lid is poorly made so started the search again. The internal headworks space is 750mm x 750mm which turns out to be a slightly unusual size. I ideally wanted a plastic lid as they are lighter as the metal lids are pretty heavy. I found a company that did suitable plastic lids and frames but they were too expensive at £800 plus delivery. Long story short I came up with a design and got a company to make it for me. It arrived today and it fits perfectly and I finally have a weatherproof frame and lid that I can actually lift! £300 inc VAT and delivery. 

35CE1EFE-F0F4-4CFE-BA9F-9A7617F1977C.thumb.jpeg.a2b88a072e65f40bc825e2b7fdb633ef.jpeg2973F601-10F7-407C-BEA5-521B69DF263F.thumb.jpeg.3d0e03ffbd82c5d5962b45ec72565fdc.jpeg

• Like 3