ASHP acoustic cover

Anyone tried these? Any good? Expensive?

No matter where I put my ASHP it'll be audible to someone, and I'm interested in designing in a sound reducing set up from the outset if it's worth it. 

I'd be interested in anyone's experience of this technology. 

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I was going to make one, but frankly my ASHP is so quiet I think it’s overkill.

I had considered making one using the stuff from recording studios. No idea if that would work mind you. 

How quiet is yours then? I thought they were typically 45-55 dB? 

Edited by Tony K

47 minutes ago, Tony K said:

How quiet is yours then?

Never measured it but not invasive for sure, Mine is only on for the odd hour or so, I would live with it fir a while first. Actually my sewerage treatment plant was more annoying (24/7) so I moved the pump and used sound absorbing foam to make that quieter. I suppose all locations are different.

30 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Never measured it but not invasive for sure, Mine is only on for the odd hour or so, I would live with it fir a while first. Actually my sewerage treatment plant was more annoying (24/7) so I moved the pump and used sound absorbing foam to make that quieter. I suppose all locations are different.

How far away is yours from the house then? 

I spoke to an environmental health officer I know about ASHPs. He said they can and do cause noise nuisance complaints.

Before I opted to use a heat pump I went along and listened to someone's, and it wasn't comparable to a fridge! The best argument I heard was that they aren't used in hot weather when neighbours windows are open, which made sense. 

I think I'll position it in the corner of the garden if possible, and then look into noise reduction if needed. 

3 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Before I opted to use a heat pump I went along and listened to someone's, and it wasn't comparable to a fridge

What make and model was it and what sort of power was it delivering when you viewed it?

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What make and model was it and what sort of power was it delivering when you viewed it?

Have to say I don't know. My own SB is small (100m2 single storey). Will that make a difference do you think? 

7 hours ago, Tony K said:

Will that make a difference do you think

There are basically two types of ASHPs.

Fixed Speed/Fixed Output

Variable Speed/Variable Output (inverter driven)

A fixed speed is like having a car that only runs at maximum revs, all the time power is needed, then it shuts down. An inverter driven one can work at full speed if needed, but is usually working at a 'lower speed'. If the system is designed correctly, it will very really work at more than about 70% capacity.  As the noisy bit is generally the air fan, shifting less air reduces noise.

It may seem counter intuitive to oversize a heating system, but with HPs this is the norm, just like it is with cars.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There are basically two types of ASHPs.

Fixed Speed/Fixed Output

Variable Speed/Variable Output (inverter driven)

A fixed speed is like having a car that only runs at maximum revs, all the time power is needed, then it shuts down. An inverter driven one can work at full speed if needed, but is usually working at a 'lower speed'. If the system is designed correctly, it will very really work at more than about 70% capacity.  As the noisy bit is generally the air fan, shifting less air reduces noise.

It may seem counter intuitive to oversize a heating system, but with HPs this is the norm, just like it is with cars.

That's very useful, thanks. 

15 hours ago, Tony K said:

No matter where I put my ASHP it'll be audible to someone

At my last house our neighbours had a Nibe ASHP fitted which was 2m away from our fence. We lived in a quiet rural spot and standing next to our fence it was inaudible until it went into, what I guess was, defrost mode, when there was a hissing sound that lasted a couple of seconds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tony K said:

I spoke to an environmental health officer I know about ASHPs. He said they can and do cause noise nuisance complaints.

Before I opted to use a heat pump I went along and listened to someone's, and it wasn't comparable to a fridge! The best argument I heard was that they aren't used in hot weather when neighbours windows are open, which made sense. 

I think I'll position it in the corner of the garden if possible, and then look into noise reduction if needed. 

crikey the luddites here all run silent heatpumps that cost 1p a day in winter and never run out of hot water. Dont expect to get impartial advice.

31 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

crikey the luddites here all run silent heatpumps that cost 1p a day in winter and never run out of hot water. Dont expect to get impartial advice.

You sound like you've had slightly more negative experiences?

48 minutes ago, Tony K said:

You sound like you've had slightly more negative experiences?

just realistic. A normal brick and block house with a family they are unsuitable when compared to gas. Yes you can go back to the 70's with tanks and cylinders in the loft, real world you will be paying 300-500 a month in the winter for electric as they dont work when it gets very cold.

Read up before taking the plunge.

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

just realistic. A normal brick and block house with a family they are unsuitable when compared to gas. Yes you can go back to the 70's with tanks and cylinders in the loft, real world you will be paying 300-500 a month in the winter for electric as they dont work when it gets very cold.

Read up before taking the plunge.

incorrect on most counts but hey, that’s your opinion. 

145sqm 3 bed, brick and block with UFH. 300 litre UVC (no loft tanks), 9kW ASHP and stats set to 19°C and there is a post heater in the MVHR and all that costs around £120 / month in coldest part of winter last year on Bulb E7 tariff. That was for the period when it was -5°C and sometimes down to -8°C last winter. 

For an ASHP to not work requires temperatures below -16°C for the older units and -22°C for the newer gases. 

Newer gases can produce 56°C water temperatures, and can still hit CoP of 2.5. 

3 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I think you’re not using the term Luddite correctly - that would be someone who doesn’t move on with the times and prefers old technology … bit like 1980’s combi boilers .. 

21 hours ago, Tony K said:

They do - usually when badly sited, and undersized or incorrect type. As said above, the variable speed or inverter drive ones are much better. Sound can be reflected very oddly by walls and buildings, soft landscaping can soon change the noise levels. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Ha, you don’t give up do you?. @Tony K like several here and many others I have an ASHP in a brick and block house, yes with good insulation, double, not triple glazed windows and I am very happy with my fairly quiet ASHP. I AM a Luddite (I don’t like a lot of tech) but I designed my own heating system by reading lots and listening to other forum members who have personal knowledge about how these things work. My summer bills are approx £60 per month and about £90 in winter. (Whole electrical bill) When I designed my system I asked about running during the warmer part of the day rather than colder nights and I think it was @SteamyTea that pointed out the COP figure drops in relation to relative humidity rather than temperature (is that right Nick?) That is why ASHP,s run well in very cold countries with low relative humidity. I believe @Dave Jones had a bad installation which is why he is so negative about the whole ASHP debate. Yes, a heating system using an ASHP is very different to a gas boiler and it’s a bit like comparing apples to plumbs, but if designed properly can work very well. I am sure there are installers that do not know how to instal them correctly which is why there is some bad press out there.

14 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

looking at the rep[ies, what did i tell you at the fanboys. "My house is 10000m2 and only costs £1 a day and its never on for more than 1 minute etc etc "

You'll only ever hear one side of heat pumps on here, have a good read up on the other side.