ASHP acoustic cover

With cheap smart phones, you can download a sound meter.  May be an idea for people to take some readings of their ASHPs, say at 1m, 2m, 5m and 10m.

Be even more useful if the same readings were taken at different angles to the front, say every 30°.

Best done when they are heating water as that will generally be the highest load.

On 07/08/2021 at 23:33, SteamyTea said:

With cheap smart phones, you can download a sound meter.  May be an idea for people to take some readings of their ASHPs, say at 1m, 2m, 5m and 10m.

Be even more useful if the same readings were taken at different angles to the front, say every 30°.

Best done when they are heating water as that will generally be the highest load.

On an iPhone 8 Plus I have the app NIOSH SLM (sound level meter) which has been calibrated against real sound level meters on specific Apple hardware, and I've been using this to measure various noise sources like our portable a/c unit.  I'd be very interested to know what kind of noise figures people are getting.  Not sure what a comparable app would be with Android - since there are so many phones it's hard to calibrate.

Edited by Ommm

On 06/08/2021 at 10:08, joth said:

PD just requires compliance to MCS020 (or equivalent) not a full MCS install.

I don't see anything in this doc that limits the distance from outside to inside unit? Only distance to the nearest neighbour door or window.

https://mcscertified.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MCS-020.pdf

Checked up. Manufacturers recommendation regarding installation:  ASHP to be a maximum of 10 meters from tank for the ASHP to be as effective as rated.

18 hours ago, Marvin said:

Checked up. Manufacturers recommendation regarding installation:  ASHP to be a maximum of 10 meters from tank for the ASHP to be as effective as rated.

Is than 10 meters distance or 10 meters of pipe run 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chanmenie said:

Is than 10 meters distance or 10 meters of pipe run 

10m pipe run for a monobloc ASHP. Further for a split system (up to 50m).

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1