Knee pads

PeterW

After a weekend of kneeling on UFH pipes and other things that crucified my knees, has anyone got any decent recommendations for knee pads ..?

They have to be the ones that slot into a pair of work trousers as I can't wear the ones that go around the knee with elastic or the like as they cause me problems with the tendons in the back of my knees.  

Try carpet fitters 9118 kneelers. I have bad knees and since buying these I have no problems. They work on the bean bag principle and are really comfortable. Do not waste your money on the foam ones as they perish.I do not have carpet fitters trousers and they fit ok in my Dewalt work pants. Had mine now 12 months and have had some hammer and show no signs of wear. Mine were about £30 on flea bay, not cheap, but you will not be disappointed.

Got Dickies ones that fit in the work trousers.....never used them tbh. Every now and than I have to dig something interesting (and septic) out of one knee or the other! It's funny I NEVER feel it going in.

Having tried the strap on knee protectors and the foam pads in work trousers, I've reverted to using some very old commercial divers neoprene ones, the ones made of very thick wet suit neoprene.  Mine are around 30 years old and were last used when I was caving regularly, but they came out of storage for the build.  Unlike the strap on knee protectors, being fairly soft neoprene means that they don't rub the back of your knees as badly, plus they stay in place a lot better.

I wore them a lot during the build, not so much for comfort, but because I have an artificial left knee cap and nerve damage that means I have no feeling in my left knee at all, so without knee pads I also end up with thing stuck in my knee that I only find later.

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, pocster said:

I wear shorts all the time and I find any elastic for the pads stings my legs.

Yeah I know I could wear trousers!

But any pads that 'fix' to your legs without elastic straps??

Try getting some of that tube bandage and sewing a pair of foam pads to it, or using that over the pads to hold them on. It is everso cheap and could be replaced daily. 

Or - if you know you have socks that do not irritate - cut the feet or the toes off an old pair and use the leg section of those to hold them in place.

There is also medical quality stuff called Fashion Tape which may be worth a try. But I would not admit that I was wearing it in construction company.

Or you could try Yoga Pants or leggings or long johns :-).

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Had an issue with my left knee for the best part of a month now. Was wearing jogging bottoms one evening and noted my left leg was noticeably hotter, guess the fleece material was keeping the heat in. Knee proceeded to swell up about twice usual size and seemingly full of fluid. Painful to the touch, so much so I banged it one day on an open cabinet door edge and it brought tears to my eyes. Felt generally rough with it too and a couple of serious night sweats. There was a little hole in the skin that would swell and I could squeeze muck out of. Even the bones locally were painful. Couldn't kneel either. Nearly went to the quacks with it but didn't. Cold compresses and ibuprofen got me through. Getting better now but a bit "clicky".

Don't know what the answer is.....knee pads? :)

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Had an issue with my left knee for the best part of a month now. Was wearing jogging bottoms one evening and noted my left leg was noticeably hotter, guess the fleece material was keeping the heat in. Knee proceeded to swell up about twice usual size and seemingly full of fluid. Painful to the touch, so much so I banged it one day on an open cabinet door edge and it brought tears to my eyes. Felt generally rough with it too and a couple of serious night sweats. There was a little hole in the skin that would swell and I could squeeze muck out of. Even the bones locally were painful. Couldn't kneel either. Nearly went to the quacks with it but didn't. Cold compresses and ibuprofen got me through. Getting better now but a bit "clicky".

Don't know what the answer is.....knee pads? :)

I've been told that the loud clicks are not symptomatic of any problem; my left knee makes very loud noises when it's flexed, loud enough to cause concern to anyone that doesn't know about it.  The clicks are apparently caused by tendons crossing over each other as they pull tight, and don't seem to cause any problems.  My knee has been doing this for 40 years now, and the noise never seems to get worse.

Similarly to you, the same knee periodically swells and gets extremely hot, often when there is a bit of rain after a period of dry weather (it started swelling up again yesterday, and as I sit here it's very hot).  Years ago it worried me, but doctors never seem bothered by it and have pretty much said it's just one of those things that will flare up and go down on its own, which it does.

I avoid ibuprofen, as after years of taking the stuff I now find it upsets my digestion quite badly.  Diclofenac ointment works well, especially if you adopt the rather unusual strategy of applying it copiously last thing at night, rubbing it in, then wrapping a bit of cling film around your knee to sort of seal it in.  It makes my (paediatric nurse) wife chuckle a bit, but I'm convinced it fixes it.  Whether the knee gets better from this treatment, or whether it gets better just because I believe in this treatment, I have no idea; I just know it works for me!

Edited by JSHarris

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Try getting some of that tube bandage and sewing a pair of foam pads to it, or using that over the pads to hold them on. It is everso cheap and could be replaced daily. 

Or - if you know you have socks that do not irritate - cut the feet or the toes off an old pair and use the leg section of those to hold them in place.

There is also medical quality stuff called Fashion Tape which may be worth a try. But I would not admit that I was wearing it in construction company.

Or you could try Yoga Pants or leggings or long johns :-).

F

Yeah. I could try that. I did see some skiing knee protector tube things. Expensive and not sure how much protection they would offer.

Yoga pants sound fruity. Shorts all year round though; it's my mantra - come snow, sleet or shine. real men do it in shorts!

40 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah. I could try that. I did see some skiing knee protector tube things. Expensive and not sure how much protection they would offer.

Yoga pants sound fruity. Shorts all year round though; it's my mantra - come snow, sleet or shine. real men do it in shorts!

Boots do 3 tubular bandages at "large knee" size for £7 or one for £3.49 online.

http://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuticals-tubular-bandage-size-f-10146378

Or you can get a 10m roll of 12cm (width) for about £15.

F

• Like 1