Is there such a thing

… as a budget window supplier? 

We aren’t after 17G windows with a negative U value (!), just something that’s reasonable value 2G in uPVC or at a stretch Alu. Preferably a flush casement. Almost certain we can’t afford alu/wood but more then happy to be proved wrong. 

Went to see https://www.modernupvcwindows.co.uk yesterday and although the price is v keen, the product definitely reflects this. Not one for us I don’t think.

I was picking up at an auction house in Chippenham a few weeks back and next door was a window place with a bunch of new windows and doors left outside. I guess they were missed measured. Not saying that would be what you want, but I know from past experience that such companies used to have piles of the things and were only too happy to see the back of them. We managed to do all the windows on one property from such a source, and from another more granite worktop than we could ever manage to use.

30 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Went to see https://www.modernupvcwindows.co.uk yesterday and although the price is v keen, the product definitely reflects this. Not one for us I don’t think.

Not sure what you looked at but their product is very good - fitted 10 of their 3G ones and they are as good if not better for UPVC than a lot of the competition at 50% more expensive. 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not sure what you looked at but their product is very good - fitted 10 of their 3G ones and they are as good if not better for UPVC than a lot of the competition at 50% more expensive. 

We weren’t overly keen on the weld and the mechanism felt a bit cheep on the showroom window. For the price it was good value, maybe we just need to spend more! Also, SWMBO didn’t like the colour choices. I just do as I’m told.

@Lorenz that would be great if we could easily change our openings. It’s a renovation so mostly fixed sizes. 

@Ferdinand how do you find local manufacturers? Is google the best option?

@Russell griffiths we might not get such a good discount as we are doing things room by room. As you say, worth a try though! 

First window is a 500x1000 single opener flush fit supply only:

Windowsanddoors.co.uk : £176

Modern uPVC : £212
Just value doors alu : £555

Just value doors uPVC : £431

Just doors uk uPVC : £294

windowsarchitects.co.uk timber/alu (not flush) £263

Seems a huge variety. Any experience of any of these?

any other suppliers I should add to the list?

Edited by CotswoldDoItUpper

1 hour ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

@Lorenz that would be great if we could easily change our openings. It’s a renovation so mostly fixed sizes. 

The place we did it with was built in 1896, we did not change the openings. Some places had containers full. Some we were left over with went up to a restoration in the Orkneys. Just an idea. My wife will be wanting all traditional wood, from experience it lasts a lot longer than the other materials, but takes more maintenance and upfront cost.

might be worth looking into one. I recently ordered a single DG window and you order it on their website, filling in all the options and it goes to their window manufacturer. It was less than half price of any local window places

There are trade associations for one.

My arrangement is with a particular tradesman I have used for a couple of decades, and my dad used for a decade before that.

He has always had an "in" at one particular place.

There are various useful comparator threads on the forum which may help you judge.

As ever the aim is to get the reasonable price on the quality of product you select. Focus on that. You do not save by browbeating, which makes them cut corners and hate you, but by optimising in a way that works with their grain.

That might be finding ways to save their costs and make their job easier, but it is also climbing as far up the supply chain as you can manage.

I'm saving more than half of the cost of fencing pales tomorrow by getiting it direct from a rural sawmill and cutting 3.6m lengths in the car park, compared to my local (famously cheap) timber merchant.

• Like 1

Profile 22 (the frame used by modernupvcwindows for regular 2G windows) is shite. It has all the structural integrity and wind tightness of wet spaghetti. Ok for fixed panes. Never again for openers.

Never again for their low profile thresholds either (buy a real threshold and set it lower relative to finished fort level).

And never again for their blind man galloping horse measurements (cursing and swearing before realising that the French windows differ by 5mm a side).

Fair price for what you get if you're Joe retail and delivered when it says it is. But not worth having.

Bought rehau euro 70 profile the second time around; with plenty of reinforcement in the frames and bonded in glass in the openers. Screw having parallelograms again

• Haha 1