Land registry and boundaries

Has anyone heard of the Land Registry people coming out to check fences are in the right places of the boundaries because a house is complete? I thought they only come and check if their is a dispute that's been sorted?

Vijay

Just looked at the OS map online and it's years old.

My neighbour has said LR went round last year to check all the boundary fences and confirmed they were all correct, but I spoke to them today and they said they don't do that..............

From os. I didnt ring them, he seemed to suggest the planning process notified them but they waited and did a few in the same locality at the same time.  Friendly enough guy and did seek clarification where the boundary was less obvious to him.

As a coincidence I had the ordinance survey chap randomly arrive at my place today. As you say nice enough chaps and I had no real reason to doubt what he was up to. Wandering around with a tablet and a satellite on a stick he covered most of

the boundaries and said he'd come back again when I had final fences etc in place. I don't believe he was at all linked to land registry but I could be long. 

His opening line was "Hello, im here to put your house on the map!" which I did quite like, yet I'm easily pleased ?

• Like 1

Interesting. I've never heard of the LR coming to check property boundaries. They specifically say that the LR cannot help resolve boundary disputes.

Aside: If you google the land registry you get pages of links to companies that provide indirect access to the land registry data for increased fees. So many that it can be hard to find real Land Registry web site! This now appears to be at..

https://www.gov.uk/topic/land-registration/searches-fees-forms

or the rather unfriendly/less polished pages..

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/myportal/My_Home

Edited by Temp

On 14/03/2017 at 23:09, CC45 said:

From os. I didnt ring them, he seemed to suggest the planning process notified them but they waited and did a few in the same locality at the same time.  Friendly enough guy and did seek clarification where the boundary was less obvious to him.

Same here from OS, just turned up wearing florescent jacket with pole and laptop!

Said he had a few to do (large local building site in area).

One of the coldest days this winter so didn't have a long chat...I first asked was he from the council (applied for council tax clarification around that time) just said he had a list for the area and working through them accordingly.

It was nice to have something done and not be paying for it9_9

I thought that the OS did most of their mapping from aerial surveys these days, but it seems that there are still ground surveys done.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2007/jul/21/careers.work4

Although it's from the Guardian it looks quite credible.

"An Ordnance Survey (OS) surveyor will survey every new building within six months of completion. The data is passed onto the UK Land Registry."

The OS man turned up at our build before completion and spent ten minutes with a survey GPS and tablet noting the location of the house and the new boundaries.  Since then I've seen the same chap around the local area several times.  I was interested to see that the OS had bought a fleet of hybrid Yaris cars for their surveyors - my other half has one.