Amount of tape required for window install?

kxi

72m2 of Idealcombi Futura+I windows, to be installed by Idealcombi.

They have been very reasonable on price so far. But I see the installation quote includes £3,958 for airtightness tape: Illbruck ME508 200mm depth (separate to the main install quote)

Based on an example cost from https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/illbruck-me508-duo-membrane-ew-f (roughly £3.60/m)

So this quote line item would equate to 1,100m of 200mm tape. Presumably their price might include labour and / or markup.

But to help understand the quote, what is a rough quantity of tape that would typically be used in this kind of install?

Edited by kxi

Seems an expensive product also. How about https://www.airstop.co.uk/product-page/isowindow-feba-soft

Depending on how hands on you are, this would be easily done after their installation, before plastering.

Out of curiosity, how much was your windows quote, i keep looking at adverts for idealcombi, look nice windows, well designed.

Example, window size of 1000x1000 is 4 linear metres. So that’s 4m length of ME508. It comes in 25m rolls (direct from Illbruck), so one window at 4lm still requires one roll.

m2 doesn’t help in this instance, you need linear metres. I did a quick calc based on 75 windows at 1000x1000 windows, which is 75m2, based on what I do and would expect that to be around 300lm.

However, that’s a lot for just ME508, I’d expect it to include TP600 and FM330 but that’s still more than double the price I’d expect to charge a client (I would charge £2.4k for 300lm for all 3 - which includes markup and application). They may be charging per linear metre as well, it certainly appears to be the case.

Edited by craig
  • Like 2

@craig Thanks very much, and in our case most windows are bigger than 1x1m so the linear metres would be a bit less. We actually have only 20 windows. So it is a bit mysterious why the charge is so high.

I was a bit surprised the tape needed to be so wide as well, though I see it is available up to 250mm wide, so presumably not unusual. Is it common for similar installs to need such wide tape?

1 minute ago, kxi said:

I was a bit surprised the tape needed to be so wide as well

We quote 200mm as standard to be honest, rare we use the smaller or larger tape. Check what that includes, give them a call and ask them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Out of curiosity, how much was your windows quote, i keep looking at adverts for idealcombi, look nice windows, well designed.

It was surprisingly cheap for the windows, and surprisingly expensive for the install (esp. this taping point). I suspect this may reflect the nature of the order - a small-ish number of windows for the m2, some very large installed on first floor, many fixed pane.

Here's some crowdsourced pricing from other Buildhub users

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10mPQ-4HnTuUbiKmQVn3fPPoVkxDMPgRFNvaji4R8USg/edit?usp=sharing

Mostly at least 3 years old though, so potentially unreliable now, and unreliable anyway since it's just based on people's posts.

Edited by kxi

4 hours ago, kxi said:

It was surprisingly cheap for the windows, and surprisingly expensive for the install

That's what I found too with IdealCombi, so I am going to install myself (with a bit of friendly help) and use the Illbruck system. I only have six windows.

• Like 1

If your a bit handy do it yourself, at the end of the day it’s peeling the back off some tape and sticking it on. 

I would even trust the wife to do it. 

£3000 buys you a third of a kitchen or a nice bathroom. 

I had the sega rep come to my job he came in a van with every conceivable tape they made in it, he cut off lots of different types and did a demo with them all to show how to apply them. 

I will hazard a guess that I spent £350 on materials to seal mine up.  

Edited by Russell griffiths

@kxi and @Dreadnaught I have bought the Illbruck Compriband TP600 external sealing tape on ebay in the past at a very competitive rate.

Keep it in the fridge before you apply it.  I found it easiest to do after the windows were in.

I have never used the internal stuff, just TP600 as external seal, squirty foam inside and polythene VCL to lap.  I guess the inside stuff is to stick to the frame and VCL?

• Thanks 1