"Where did the money come from" answers

What is the best answer to Estate Agent and Solicitors' "where did the money come from" questions?

I mistakenly said "a previous sale", which means i now have to go on a Certificate Hunt for the relevant letter amongst my filing. Bah.

Could just as easily have said "savings", since the money has been there for some time. Breeding iriot Ferdinand.

Any good suggestions for wording?

Ferdinand

Ahhh the old money / tax laundering rules. I will ask my friendly advisor when I get home but I suspect you will need to find certificate although you can get the same details from land registry providing the dispersments were not complicated this will show that you were paid such and such on the given date. £7 I think for the info from LR.

Can't tell you how pleased I am to see this post - I thought it was just us!  We've been going in circles over just £500 moved from our savings account to our current account 4 months ago which from the level of interest they've taken in it, apparently seems to be making them convinced I am the recipient of Pablo Escobar's millions!  After 3 explanations (Building society savings account has no card or cheque book, and they aren't part of the CHAPS network, so withdraw cash from that account (shown in building society account book), walk across the road and pay into bank current account, 5 minutes later tops, allowing us to use card payment to buy some building bits and bobs). That wasn't enough they say, (Buildstore) and I've had to break it down into an almost child friendly explanation. It's been a struggle to make that  explanation any simpler, actually, I mean what more can you say?.... but I've had to!)  The best one though was a friend who was given land by her parents - for whatever reason/circumstances, they "sold" it to her for £1 ... and she was still asked to explain where the money to buy the land came form ... and in the end had to actually classify the £1 as "savings" to satisfy them!   

Edited by curlewhouse

On the same bungalow I have a rather creative pitch from the solicitor for £22 for Chancel Repair Insurance (since it is unregistered).

Fortunately there are at least 50 identical bungalows on the one small 1970s development, so any possible liability will be shared many ways. And the church is very well maintained (they even built their own Baptistry in the 1990s).

So no chance there methinks.

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

What is the best answer to Estate Agent and Solicitors' "where did the money come from" questions?

I mistakenly said "a previous sale", which means i now have to go on a Certificate Hunt for the relevant letter amongst my filing. Bah.

Could just as easily have said "savings", since the money has been there for some time. Breeding iriot Ferdinand.

Any good suggestions for wording?

Ferdinand

Why are they asking?  We have bought and sold several properties and nobody has ever asked us where the money had come from.

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

Why are they asking?  We have bought and sold several properties and nobody has ever asked us where the money had come from.

Ah yes.

But I might be laundering money for the Taddington Liberation Front. Dodgy people in Taddington; they put their traditional wells on top of the nearest hill. Who does that?

I don't have a problem with them checking, provided it is necessary and works.

I did have *huge* problems with security theatre, such as the half million 'terrorists' (ie members of the public) who were randomly searched by the Met per year a decade ago in London. And they never caught anyone afaik. I had a straightfaced policeman tell me that self + girlf were terrorist suspects when we spent 15 seconds looking at a map on the wall of St Pancras station, and proceeded to do a personal search.

Ferdinand

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Since this thread is all about evidence, what evidence is there for the TLF? (Taddington Liberation Front)

Hmmmm?

You do not know that they exist until they blow up the Bakewell Pudding Shop.

The ones I worry about are the people from Stilton, who by dint of living in the wrong County are not allowed (quite properly) to make Stilton Cheese. Who knows what they might do if they get frustrated ... night raid on the Hartington Cheese Shop if it still exists?

Provincial problems...

Edited by Ferdinand

A friend is in the middle of a mortgage application and the broker has asked that he contact the previous owner of the house he want to buy, as the mortgage company want the builder of an extension to certify that the craftsmanship was up to building control standards, they already have the BC completion certificate for the extension.

He's seriously thinking of telling them where to go! The sellers not too happy either! No doubt a robot has a box to tick and no tick = no money, laundered or otherwise!