magutosh

Solar PV + Tesla Powerwall (or storage battery)

I struggled to find much info previously before our build, now it's completed, I'd like to share our experiences for those who are in a similar dilemma as myself.

Our build has a south east facing pitch at 40 degree, designed to be optimised for solar pv, with 16 in roof panels installed, total of 5.3kwh output, in Stockport, Northwest, by no means the sunniest part of the country.

We wanted a storage battery from the start, which plays a catalyst in energy dependency since we only have electricity, which also powers air source heat pump, in the end we decided on Tesla Powerwall, more capacity, better warranty, cheaper tariff (Tesla Power Plant or Tesla Energy Plan if you also drive a Tesla), better app control and more advanced battery tech etc.

Some, including ourselves were skeptical about how well our theory would work, whether there would be enough sunshine to even fully charge the battery, never mind export back to the grid to offset cloudy days.

The results are staggering. We have 82% energy offset since the system was commissioned (two months approx) including charging EV, and recently we are running 98% self sufficiency, with battery getting full charge by 10am! Selling the rest back to the grid for the same cost as we draw from it, thanks to Tesla's tariff. Of course, on rainy days we draw from the grid, but it's definitely looking like a worthy investment, especially when we experienced our first power cut, battery took over seamlessly, and the only house on the street with lights on!

We now only wish to installed more solar pv on the rest of the roof!

So far, solar pv + storage battery is working very well, far exceeded our expectations, and it's worth bearing in mind, it is not about the absolute saving on your electricity bills, but more self sufficiency and energy independence. Of course, the longer you have the system running, the more you will save, it is only a matter of time to recoup initial investment.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, magutosh said:

So far, solar pv + storage battery is working very well, far exceeded our expectations, and it's worth bearing in mind, it is not about the absolute saving on your electricity bills, but more self sufficiency and energy independence. Of course, the longer you have the system running, the more you will save, it is only a matter of time to recoup initial investment.

Very interesting, thanks.

It'll also be good to see how you go across the whole of the year, including the colder months when insolation is so much lower. Do report back!

Can I be so bold to ask how much the Tesla powerwall cost to supply and install? Do they need a specific design or make of solar panels to connect?

I like the idea of self sufficiency especially in 5 or 10 years time but not yet convinced whether it will ever pay for itself before the batteries require replacing. 

We are not far away from you between outside Macclesfield so your experience with it will be extremely helpful.

Take a look at the naked solar site -> https://nakedsolar.co.uk/storage/

There's a table lower down the page with installed costs as well as cost per kWh - Tesla come out surprisingly competitively priced as well as having better specs.

They have a similar pricing table for PV as well.

Simon

• Like 1

had a Powerwall installed a few years ago. Have 3.85kw of solar on the off on the original FIT so it has already paid for itself many times over. For the winter I am on a time of day tariff so the Powerwall charges itself up when its very cheap and provides power when rates are expensive. 

Very pleased with it but if it wasnt for the solar FIT it would take many many years to pay for itself.