Windbreak Mesh

Cannot find an answer to this so hoping someone might have the answer.

I'm looking to create a short term windbreak around a patio area, until such time as the permanent planted windbreak has grown.

I plan to use a windbreak mesh. Of course a wide variety available. The key question is am I better doubling up layers of a light 110g/m2  mesh or a single layer of 220g/m2? Which option is going to be better at reducing wind/provide the biggest reduction?

1 hour ago, Stones said:

Which option is going to be better at reducing wind/provide the biggest reduction?

Windspeed reduction is affected by porosity. Different porosities have their maximum effect at different multiples of the windbreak height so google 'windbreak porosity'. 

Edited by A_L
to change 'windspeed porosity' to 'windbreak porosity

I have used 100gsm woven weed membrane cable tied to security fence panels around a temporary deck on site and it's great. dirt cheap. Just secure it really well as strong wind will rip it apart eventually. Suggest screwing it down with batons against the main supporting posts.

I use a 200g/sqm tarp to cover my mower. Feels heavy when new but it only lasts about 3 years.  Not sure if wind break mesh is any stronger but I'd go for the heavier weight.

On 04/06/2021 at 07:57, SteamyTea said:

Does it not work by generating vortices and eddy currents as well as purely blocking?

Bernoulli principle and all that.

Yes and no.  It's certainly the case with a completely solid break that you get vortice and eddy.  The porosity (thanks @A_L) slows / bleeds the speed down and prevents the vorticing and eddy effect.  

I watched this lecture on the subject, a bit drawn out but some useful info:

The optimum for my location and application would seem to be a windbreak that has a porosity of 40-60%, so I'm going to go with the 110g/m2 mesh. I'll have enough to experiment and double up to see how much of a difference it makes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuzet-Windbreak-Protection-Screening-Greenhouse/dp/B00BFE8Z6Q/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=106809795311&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6baAqsqD8QIVQ4XVCh0DgwFUEAAYAiAAEgJO8PD_BwE&hvadid=447273382007&hvdev=c&hvlocint=9047003&hvlocphy=1007361&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6114048618325880839&hvtargid=kwd-791409383460&hydadcr=5972_1758595&keywords=yuzet+windbreak&qid=1623002196&sr=8-1

The heavier mesh I looked at was more a balcony privacy screen, perhaps more akin to the weave of a bulk bag, and having experiment with the latter, I need more bleed through of air given the supporting structure I will have. 

Interesting thread as we too have a "wind" issue which sometimes  restricts us from sitting out on the patio to enjoy the evening sun etc. We have opted for a more permanent solution by way of a vertical retractable screen. I appreciate this isn't a cheap option but I feel it is worthy of mention nonetheless. 

See link for details - 

https://www.markilux.com/en-gb/side-screens/markilux-790

@Redoctober - yes looked at those, although not ideal for the specific application (which is a round semi sunken area) that prompted this thread. 

We have a second sitting area where it may well still be an option.  How effective have you found it? Do you experience much in the way of vortice/eddy effect and how much flex / billow is there? How close to the sitting area have you fitted it?

We bought privacy screens for the Heras site fencing which was a heavy duty woven material - very similar to your Amazon link but in pre cut sheets, seamed with eyelets etc.

Anyway, even a breath of wind turned it into a sail and I was forever rescuing it from the road. 

Maybe you could cut some vents in it and patch over with squares of the same material, fastened at the corners, to reduce this effect?

11 hours ago, Stones said:

How effective have you found it? Do you experience much in the way of vortice/eddy effect and how much flex / billow is there? How close to the sitting area have you fitted it?

I wish I could tell but we only placed the order last week and were informed that there is a 6 - 8 week lead time!! Will certainly let you know once it has been installed etc., so watch this space ?

• 3 months later...

@Stones Bringing this thread up to date a touch, as we have finally had our "windbreak" - side awning installed. It was installed today some 8 weeks after the 8 week lead time we were given at the time of the order. As a result, we are unlikely to get much use out of it for what remains of this year but hey ho. 

The photos show it in place and I had tried to capture the "bellow" - the wind at the time was what I would describe as a gentle breeze. 

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0257.JPG

Edited by Redoctober
separation of images.