Plywood or osb T&G

I have costed OSB 3 T&G and it is £100-150 cheaper than 18mm plywood for structural floor on ground floor joist. Is the £100 worth saving?

i just want a floor that does not Squeak. The builder went over board with noggin so the joists have a solid timber noggin almost every 800mm. Whole joist looks like lots of square boxes. 

All joist in C24 47x150 timber

thanks

Wow that looks like your preparing to park a tank in there.....  i cant help on which material to use but i have used a "no squeak" silicon on top of joists before gluing and screwing them down and it worked very well, more money though. I used 22mm chip on the above. 

Edited by Cpd
Forgot something....

22mm P5 Chipboard, glued to the joists and then joints glued. Screws (not nails) every 300mm, and at 50mm of a join. It will be moisture resistant and also solid and squeak free..!

OSB is too rough to use as flooring, and ply is overkill UNLESS you are laying tiles on it. If it is being tiled, go for 18mm P5 Chipboard then overlay with 6mm ply fully bonded and screwed to the deck below....

I take it you've no pipe or wiring runs to do in that floor otherwise the plumber and sparky are going to hate your bricky...

• Like 1

I have just had the first floor for my new build laid and it was 22mm chipboard, plastic coated so that it can be peeled and left clean after plastering and decorating, and glued ONLY to the Finn joists with D4 glue, my builder has used this system for quite a while and never gets a squeaky floor.

22 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have just had the first floor for my new build laid and it was 22mm chipboard, plastic coated so that it can be peeled and left clean after plastering and decorating, and glued ONLY to the Finn joists with D4 glue, my builder has used this system for quite a while and never gets a squeaky floor.

It's the shank of partly / poorly driven nails or screws that causes the squeak ;)

Im a bit sceptical of glue only as it expands quite a bit, but if you are used to it and are walking on it during curing time then it will stay 'down', so agreed that you can lay it 'floating' e.g. no mechanical fix with good results. Nice to hear of someone thinking outside the box :).   

Annular 50's are what I use in the gas nailer to put flooring down if I'm on site on day rate. 

But, I make sure the glue is swimming, and that I stand, both feet, either side of where each nail goes in so the deck is tight to the joist. 

I prefer screws hence my patter in the Ebuild link. ;)

The idea of glue worries me, if I ever need to access the pipes (herringbone requires glue), I'll have to damage to glued top floor, glued UFH insulation boards and glued OSB deck. 

Althought the OSB is the cheapest component.  I have this worry of mice chewing cables or pipes under the joist floors

Edited by jayroc2k
Spelling

2 minutes ago, jayroc2k said:

The idea of glue worries me, if I every need to access the pipes (herringbone required glue), I'll have to damage to glued top floor, glued UFH insulation boards and glued OSB deck. 

Althoght the OSB is the cheapest component.  I have this worry of mice chewing cables or pipes under the joist floors

It is almost impossible (if not impossible) to get a T&G section out of a floor without cutting it, so you gain almost nothing by not gluing the joints. 

If you need access say a stop valve, lighting transformer etc from above then you can use this:

http://www.super-rod.co.uk/media/press-clippings/ace-in-the-hole.html

Limited access to actually do anything like change a fitting though as you can only get one hand in. Best to design out random junction boxes etc.

VERY USEFUL though  if you come across a glued and screwed T&G floor and have to run a new circuit! :)

(Good too for making access points to drop rat bait under old suspended floors).

• 2 weeks later...

Another flooring question, builder wants to use 12mm plywood for subfloor in 3m x 3m bathroom

Build up is

- 12mm plywood

- ditri mat decoupling membrane

- 60x60 tile 10mm

he says the combined would be strong as each layer adds strength, it will also improve output from the under floor spreader plates

does that sound right? Maybe 15mm plywood instead? Travis Perkin sells 15mm structural plywood