Ordering steels

19 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I am about to order my steels, is it common practice to order slightly longer than what is shown on the drawings, or a fair amount over to cut to size on site?

No 

They will normally follow the exact measurements on the drawing 

Depends on the steel we're talking about. If it's a one off piece of steel over a large span that sits on blockwork it doesn't matter which option you go for. The blocklayer will just move the next line of blocks in or out a few mm.

If it's a timber frame house and one piece of steel for a large span or support than you can use the dimension from the shop drawings of the timber frame company.

If it's a proper steel structure with columns and beams that have end plates welded and pre drilled holes for connecting bolts these have to measured on site, have shop drawings created and then made in the workshop before delivery to site. 

Over length and do a "MUP" cut on site as our SOUTHERN engineers used to call it. Make up cut. Simples. They'd write on a survey drawing what holes they wanted one end and write "MUP" next to the blank end.

Now the Wigan lads would write "FFC" referred to as a "funnnyfutcut". Intrigued I asked...

"Well, it's a funny f***er to cut".

6 minutes ago, Dudda said:

If it's a one off piece of steel over a large span that sits on blockwork it doesn't matter which option you go for.

I am ordering a load of rods and mesh for retaining walls, and want to get the beams (no. 7) on the order. 

They are just resting on pad stones, one has a connection (the smallest), which will go to a fabricator to weld on a end plate.

Anything sat on padstones in line with the wall I make 100mm longer, anything spanning between walls i.e. perpendicular to walls I get cut 50mm longer but don’t tend to get these ordered until foundations are in. 

Any reason for wanting to order all the steel together as I know my suppliers are only on 3-5

days on standard profiles. 

18 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I am ordering a load of rods and mesh for retaining walls, and want to get the beams (no. 7) on the order. 

They are just resting on pad stones, one has a connection (the smallest), which will go to a fabricator to weld on a end plate.

Rebar/mesh suppliers rarely cross over to beams and visa versa so likely they are buying in the other. I would look to split the rebar/mesh from the beams and shop around. I would be amazed if you didnt save money.

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

...is it common practice to order slightly longer than what is shown on the drawings, or a fair amount over to cut to size on site?

We needed both types that @Dudda explains above. One set needed to be bang on ( arrived 12mm out) and the simple beams (could have been 1000mm out )were exact to the mm.  

(The supplier - on supply and fit - charged  VAT and simply wouldn't have it that 0% should be charged - It got to Letter Before Action !!)