Removing Stones from Soil

We cleared and scraped much more ground that we thought we would and have ended up with quite a lot of bare soil. The quality of it is fine but I have noticed that we have a lot of stones, ranging from 5cm pebbles right up to 20cm+ rocks.

Does anyone know of a small machine that could be hired to remove the stones? I don't fancy doing the 1,500 sqm by hand and the farmer's stone picker needs a tractor so is too big.

stones.thumb.jpg.7bb808ed3194fa3261491983171f09a7.jpg

You can buy or hire powered rotating sieves: https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-rs350-automatic-rotary-soil-sieve/3213k

I hemmed and hawed about this (we have sandy soil with lots of pebbles) and curse the day I ultimately decided it was too much effort. Just last week I was pulling dandelions out of the lawn, and two thirds of the time I had to contend with stones in the way.

Edited to add: just saw 1500m2 - that's a LOT of area to process. Any reason not to get the farmer's tractor involved?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jack said:

You can buy or hire powered rotating sieves: https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-rs350-automatic-rotary-soil-sieve/3213k

I hemmed and hawed about this (we have sandy soil with lots of pebbles) and curse the day I ultimately decided it was too much effort. Just last week I was pulling dandelions out of the lawn, and two thirds of the time I had to contend with stones in the way.

Edited to add: just saw 1500m2 - that's a LOT of area to process. Any reason not to get the farmer's tractor involved?

The farmer could probably do some of it but we also have quite a bit already landscaped as in the picture with terraces and bunds as we have a flood issues with surface water coming off fields. I think a tractor with one of those big stone scanners would trash it. I was hoping there was something more like a rotavator size but can't find anything.

If you don't want to have a full sized tractor on there, find a landscaping company with a Stoneburier and a compact tractor. Blecavator make a range of sizes and are the well known brand.

They create a fine tilth and push the stones down, and give a nice flat finish. It would only be a couple of hours work. 

Edited to add:

Looks like they can be hired too

https://www.fthhiregroup.co.uk/hire-products/landscaping-and-groundscare/groundcare-equipment/blecavator-stoneburier-attachment

as an example.

Edited by IanR
  • Thanks 1

That tractor and stoneburier is exactly what I'm looking for but that is an expensive hire. 

We have a lot of fruit and veg pickers around here, might well be worth finding out if they want some extra cash.

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have spent way too many hours bent double picking up stones from my plot ?

Likewise - I actually filled a small skip with such stones prior to our turf going down, across 600 sq metres of earth. Back breaking work - probably not want you want to hear @Ralph ?

9 hours ago, Redoctober said:

Likewise - I actually filled a small skip with such stones prior to our turf going down, across 600 sq metres of earth. Back breaking work - probably not want you want to hear @Ralph ?

I can still remember the backache from picking tatties in the holidays as a child and I don't want to do that again!