'Best' ceiling hood for open plan kitchen-diner

Hi folks

Wanted to ask the question: what's the 'best' ceiling hood which balances performance, low noise and value for money? How much extraction rate is a sensible minimum for us (we don't do masses of smelly cooking... occasional steak or curry)? Can see there have been a couple of similar-ish topics, but angling for a few recommendations.

Context - our kitchen is getting a full makeover as part of a full house renovation, so we have pretty much a blank canvas. We've decided we'd like a ceiling hood (in a drop ceiling) above a kitchen island with an induction hob on it. Room will be 5.7m x 7.5m. We're planning to duct out from the island drop ceiling through the floor joists in the ceiling above with 150mm (or 220 x 90mm) in about a 4m run to the side of the house. Currently, the ducting as planned will travel across the kitchen and then through the utility room, so we could put an inline motor there too. We're happy to consider external motors (though a bit worried they will annoy the neighbours).

We've had a look at some suppliers already:

• Luxair appear to do some decent hoods, but don't have any inline motor options, and I don't know if 700m/h is strong enough?
  • Westin look great, but cost quite a bit more than we wanted to spend.
  • The 'big' brand names like Neff etc don't look any better than Luxair, and are more expensive.
  • Have come across some Silverline / Silvaire models with inline motors which have fair prices and seem to have good performance, but i'm a bit wary of the Silverline name and can't find many reviews.

Any thoughts or advice welcomed, or any brands & models i've missed and should be checking out? Trying to keep spend between £500-£1000. Don't fancy a downdraft as it'll interfere with the missus' cupboard / drawers plans for the island...

8 hours ago, irish_admiral said:

Luxair appear to do some decent hoods, but don't have any inline motor options, and I don't know if 700m/h is strong enough?

700 cubic metres / hour is 195 litres per second - are you sure that number is correct ..??

The minimum under building regs over a hob is 30 litres / second or 108 cubic metres / hour so I would check the spec. 

Edited by PeterW
Typo..!

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

700 cubic metres / hour is 195 litres per second - are you sure that number is correct ..??

The minimum under building regs over a hob is 30 litres / second or 108 cubic metres / hour so I would check the spec. 

Hi PeterW

Yup, I’m sure:

https://luxairhoods.com/image/catalog/PDF/Cooker Hoods/Ceiling Hoods/LA-Celux-Delux/LA-Celux-Technical-Info.pdf

I’m new to the area, but 720m3/hr comes down to 12m3 per minute, and less per second based on my maths?

7 hours ago, irish_admiral said:

Hi PeterW

Yup, I’m sure:

https://luxairhoods.com/image/catalog/PDF/Cooker Hoods/Ceiling Hoods/LA-Celux-Delux/LA-Celux-Technical-Info.pdf

I’m new to the area, but 720m3/hr comes down to 12m3 per minute, and less per second based on my maths?

yep - that is 203l/s which is quite substantial on full power ..! It’s nearly 7 times the building regs minimum hence my query. 

1 hour ago, nod said:

We used Geolux 

Far more powerful than we needed 

Thanks Nod. Think that’s one of the old Gealux models? It has a lot more welly than the newer ones (950m3/h vs 650m3/h)... would be interested to know if you ever use it on max and how noisy you find it?! How big is your kitchen space?

Cheers pal. 

It has four setting We tend to just use number 1 

Number4 four will clear a burning grill in seconds Though its like being stood next to a jet engine 

I fitted it three years ago 

BD940AD4-4F59-40C3-8882-DF525DC0B36F.jpeg

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

yep - that is 203l/s which is quite substantial on full power ..! It’s nearly 7 times the building regs minimum hence my query. 

PeterW

Fair enough... even a cheap cooker hood sucks out c.300m3/h on its high-power setting. These sort of values aren't that unusual for a cooker hood. Guess the building regs wouldn't really specify a maximum!

Edited by irish_admiral

11 minutes ago, nod said:

It has four setting We tend to just use number 1 

Number4 four will clear a burning grill in seconds Though its like being stood next to a jet engine 

I fitted it three years ago 

Cheers mate. Good to have some real-world feedback (the numbers don't always tell the story). I'm interested in particular in the extraction values... sound levels i'm pretty good at as I moonlight as a PA tech, and know what 'loud' is! Our current one runs at c.69dB at full welly, and that's pretty loud. Louder than i'd want in an open plan most of the time.

What size is your space if you don't mind me asking?

Ta.

Imho you can't beat an externally mounted fan unit. Loads of power and little or no noise. You just need a spark to wire up a control switch and speed dial somewhere in your kitchen (we used a standard dimmer switch!). We then used an off the shelf extractor hood and removed the fan unit. If you are ceiling mounting then you can get ceiling grill units for kitchens.

This is what I used.

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/monsoon-150mm-6-external-centrifugal-extractor-fan-600m3-hr?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg3ld4z-kGumyDJ2ZYkhCdmIV-uJmUAI7lzL9C5DBQ3NEMo8hyJmNTRoCCjsQAvD_BwE

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, irish_admiral said:

Cheers mate. Good to have some real-world feedback (the numbers don't always tell the story). I'm interested in particular in the extraction values... sound levels i'm pretty good at as I moonlight as a PA tech, and know what 'loud' is! Our current one runs at c.69dB at full welly, and that's pretty loud. Louder than i'd want in an open plan most of the time.

What size is your space if you don't mind me asking?

Ta.

It’s 110m2 of floor Ceiling to floor is 2.7 

4 hours ago, Conor said:

Imho you can't beat an externally mounted fan unit. Loads of power and little or no noise. You just need a spark to wire up a control switch and speed dial somewhere in your kitchen (we used a standard dimmer switch!). We then used an off the shelf extractor hood and removed the fan unit. If you are ceiling mounting then you can get ceiling grill units for kitchens.

This is what I used.

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/monsoon-150mm-6-external-centrifugal-extractor-fan-600m3-hr?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg3ld4z-kGumyDJ2ZYkhCdmIV-uJmUAI7lzL9C5DBQ3NEMo8hyJmNTRoCCjsQAvD_BwE

Thanks Conor. Any steer for a decent ceiling unit? Seems that buying a ceiling hood w/o motor is almost as pricey as buying an actual motor itself.

57 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

why not an an island hood then?

I don't like the look of them over an island, that's the main reason. Our open plan space isn't massive at c. 45sq.m, so i'd prefer to keep it out of the eyeline (i'm 6'2"). Appreciate the compromises with a ceiling hood...

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2021 at 10:47, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Take a look at these: https://www.myappliances.co.uk/Cooker-Hoods

I got mine from here, was far better performing than any big brand I could find, and a lot lot cheaper, its really quiet too.

Thank you for the recommendation Mike.

Does your hood continue to perform well for you?

Am drawn to this one, has relatively high noise compared to other models but also has a monster extraction max rate, so assume will be quiet if not pumped to the max.  Does that feel like a reasonable deduction:?

https://www.myappliances.co.uk/Designair-ART28355-60cm-Striscia-Angled-Glass-Cooker-Hood

Presumably the carbon filter they provide does a good job of filtering the cooking air?  Ours would be used in recirculation, so keen for the exhaust air to be as clear as possible, and not discolour the ceiling.

8 hours ago, tanneja said:

Thank you for the recommendation Mike.

Does your hood continue to perform well for you?

Am drawn to this one, has relatively high noise compared to other models but also has a monster extraction max rate, so assume will be quiet if not pumped to the max.  Does that feel like a reasonable deduction:?

https://www.myappliances.co.uk/Designair-ART28355-60cm-Striscia-Angled-Glass-Cooker-Hood

Presumably the carbon filter they provide does a good job of filtering the cooking air?  Ours would be used in recirculation, so keen for the exhaust air to be as clear as possible, and not discolour the ceiling.

Yeah its still as good as the day i bought it, does the job brilliantly. Mine is also pointed at the ceiling, and nothing on there so far.

• 1 year later...
On 12/05/2021 at 11:42, Conor said:

Great idea!

However most extrator hoods have washable alu filters. They certainly prevent some of the fats and grease getting through - but only some (in my experience).  So how does the Monsoon cope with handling a volume of greasy kitchen air? Have you cleaned it yet?

5 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

Great idea!

However most extrator hoods have washable alu filters. They certainly prevent some of the fats and grease getting through - but only some (in my experience).  So how does the Monsoon cope with handling a volume of greasy kitchen air? Have you cleaned it yet?

Mine had a light build up after about two years use. Nothing that warranted taking it apart and most of it was on the grill.

• Like 1