Foundation detail for planning regs

Triassic

I'm starting to pull together a package of information for the Building Regs guy for the main house.

The  one area I'm struggling with is foundations, what sort of information and drawings will he require? When I built the cabin he simple came and inspected the dig prior to concreting, no doubt he'll require more information, but what?

Edited by Triassic

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

These days it's normally a structural engineer that specifies the foundations, type, depth, type of concrete, reinforcing mesh etc.

So I thought that too @ProDave but using private BCO they had last say as to whether it was ok and I was happy with that as they are also assuring for the warranty. 

On easy ground it's 600x600 here, any more than that is unusual as it's sand/gravel. Even near trees we only went 1.4 and the BCO was surprised at that as he thought it was overkill ..!

I had no S.E. for my foundations I simply asked the BI before digging what he wanted and he said 800 deep and 700 wide ( normally 600 wide but we had 200 cavity) for our type of ground.

I think it depends on the foundation type, if it's " normal" I.e. Trench then the BI will know what he wants for that type of ground, if it's anything else he may well require an S.E. to sign it off, Triassic have you been in touch with the BI yet, ours is great and very helpful and just a chat may sort this for you. Are you not using an architect? As a local architect should already know what's required.

We are using (maybe that should say 'we were using') an architect, but he passed us off to a SE for the foundation design. The SE company then said that they wanted boreholes in three locations, this without visiting the site.  I pointed out that there was bedrock in one of the locations and a trial pit in another location shows clay within 200mm of the surface. I've rather lost confidence in them. I've got the feeling they have and the architect have bigger fish to fry. The other problem is the cost £2100 for the boreholes, soil testing and a report and the foundation design.

My next call will be to the private BC guy, he's been helpful in the past, so fingers crossed he'll be helpful again!

Edited by Triassic

Our SE visted the site and I dug 3 test pits for him with the digger, down to 2 metres. What this showed was once we got through the organic top soil, we were into a sandy clay with a lot of rocks and boulders, but didn't hit bedrock even at 2 metres. So he was happy to specify strip foundations, the only depth stipulation being we were down into the sandy clay, and he specified the concrete mix and reinforcing mesh to be used. I never questioned the reason for the mesh as the present house, build 2 doors away on much the same ground has strip foundations without any mesh.

For simple jobs like a house lots of BC officers will let you agree the foundation depth with them on site once it's dug.

The exceptions are usually when the ground bearing capacity in an area is known to be poor (e.g. peat) so a designed foundation solution will be required.

Ring them and ask.

Edited by Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I've talked to the private BC guy and he's visited an looked in my trial pits, He's happy for my to dig down to the clay and agrees 600mm wide foundations are OK. That's good as it saves me quite a bit of money to spend elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2017 at 22:13, Triassic said:

Just a quick update. I've talked to the private BC guy and he's visited an looked in my trial pits, He's happy for my to dig down to the clay and agrees 600mm wide foundations are OK. That's good as it saves me quite a bit of money to spend elsewhere.

Good result! Nice one!