Designing the Master Suite

Hello Wise People,

We are getting ready to commence our build and after numerous conversations with our architects I'm still not confident we have our master suite right...

I don't feel like we have designed the space correctly and are maximising our options and unfortunately our architect are not providing any fresh ideas... And every time I look at it I struggle with the space too, I think mainly because we have two large windows, so makes it an awkward shape..(attaching my images to help to see our concerns)

Has anyone else has this issue? Wondering where I go from here... Interior designer? Other architects? The builder? 

Any advice welcome :)

Thank you!

Master Ideas.pdf

My only comment at the moment is you do NOT want the WC backing onto the bedroom wall.  Your room partner will NOT thank you for the noise of flushing the loo in the night and the cistern refilling.  The loo needs to be on the right hand wall, which rather messes up the twin basin idea.

So my suggestion is shower and bath along left wall, basins where they are, and loo over in right hand corner next to the basins.  Leaving the space under the window free.

You can still lay in the bath and look out the window if there is a view to be had.

I would say mine the content of the site very hard - there are scores of threads about exactly this issue. In a lot of detail.

At present the lobby inside the bedroom seems like completely wasted space.

F

I wouldn't ever put the WC on that wall unless there was no other choice, however, you and your partner can decide if that's actually a problem between yourselves ;) 

Typical architect lol, drawing a curve and placing a shower tray against it!! :S Can be done with a D-shape tray, but the wall ( and radius ) would have to be formed AFTER fitting the tray. My suggestion would be to lose those large radius 'infinite'' / curved corners in the master bedroom, and instead keep 90 degree internal corners with 45 degree 'chamfered' or much smaller radius curved external corners. You still get roughly the same increased distance between the pinch points of the two opposing room corners, but zero of the PITA issues to resolve and effectively unusable internal radius space left by this 'initiative'. Mitigate against nuisance noise / sound by using 15mm sound-block plasterboard on both sides of the wall and rigid acoustic rockwool in the wall ( between the bedroom and the en-suite ).

So;

Shorten the shower tray a little and have the shower and the bath on the same wall. Fit a pocket door, so you can move the basins towards the doorway a little, and fit the WC on the same wall as the basins in the top corner. Towel rad goes where the door would have opened against, with the doorway having near zero right hand margin, eg the opening kept as far right as possible to keep as big a pocket door as possible. 

Agree with the no WC against the bedroom wall.....

And all the suggestions would make things work a lot better and be easier to implement.

However - has your architect ever lived in a house with triangular windows - I'm assuming the two to the right of the elevation are the en-suite and the bedroom.  If I'm right, what on earth are you going to put up against the bathroom window?   Drive round your area and look at all the mish mash of badly thought out solutions to triangular windows.  Curtains don't work, blinds?     Or are we just luddites as far as this is concerned....    ?

Simon

Frosted glass, with a more discernible blind at the half height marker down, just for privacy during nighttime use. The other window is quite well thought out, which only needs 'blinding' from the windowsill to the horizontal bar.

If you have a separate bathroom, and rarely use baths & are shower people, ditch the bath and have a more spacious en-suite.  Will allow you to put the loo away from internal wall which is a must.  Try not to have the shower entrance behind the door.

if dressing room will contain dressing table/ hairdryer etc consider a door.

which is exactly what we did.  

per attached.

0CF937FE-39DA-488C-893D-FB1939AF5355.jpeg

• Like 1

I second @Bozza,  I'll be having a walk-in shower in both the ensuite & family bathroom, no baths.  Sacrilege to a developer but it's my self-build so I'll have what I want.  Also good for future proofing - my 90 year old mum has a large walk-in shower with a fold-down plastic seat; she's well past the stage of being able to get in & out of a bath.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozza said:

If you have a separate bathroom, and rarely use baths & are shower people, ditch the bath and have a more spacious en-suite.

We pivoted at the last minute and installed a bath in our ensuite, thinking that if/when we ever went to sell, people would expect a bath in a house the size of ours. Biggest waste of time and space in the entire build. I think it's been used three times in five years, not helped by being one of those curvy egg-shaped things that you (or, at least, I) can't get comfortable in. 

I also really dislike the tiles in the ensuite. I occasionally fantasise about tearing out the bath and re-doing the tiling, but that's about 25 years away given the current to-do list and relative priority of this project.