Recommendations for powerful canopy extractor

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me pestering you all for advice on best extraction on a island with 3m high ceilings.  Well, we've now decided after much deliberation to now place our hob on an outside wall with a canopy type hood (is that what you call it when it's built in to your overhead units?)  Can anyone please recommend some really good  makes please for this type of extraction?  I obviously need it to be powerful as I do a lot of smelly cooking but not too noisy (if that's at all possible).  There are so many on the market, its so confusing so would really appreciate some guidance.  Also, we would be looking to duct out through either the outside wall or out through our flat roof.  If we duct out through the wall, it would be very close to our neighbours property and I wonder whether there is any laws against this?

• Like 1

Canopy extractor hood sounds right to me.

Fans should state the decibel level so even if you don't understand what it means you can compare the level with others. This may help with basics:

https://chefspick.co.uk/cooker-hood-noise-levels/

Better to have a larger outlet one than a smaller outlet one with regard to noise. Bit like a petrol car the faster the speed the louder the noise.

Good luck

Marvin

We previously had a Luxair hood. 

Luxair Quality Cooker Hoods - Free 7 Years Warranty (luxairhoods.com)

We had it for about 11 years, after about 4 years we had a problem with one of the LEDs in one of the buttons not working, they sent an engineer out and replaced it within a couple of days of reporting it.

Very powerful (if you opened one of the kitchen doors form another room about an inch you could feel it pulling the door open and the air rushing in)

Most decent extractors now use 6 inch / 150mm ducting to get the best airflow.

Edited by wozza

7 hours ago, Coffeepotclaire said:

Thanks @wozzat. I've read that Elica are really good for extractors.  Would you say Luxair are a more superior brand to Elica?

Hi @Coffeepotclaire   I cannot comment on Elica extractors as I have never seen / used one. We were very happy we our Luxair, we had it vented externally, and we had a couple of spare grease filters (not very expensive) so we always had a clean one to put in whilst the other was in the dishwasher. We had a 90cm curved glass version and the matching glass splashback.

If we didn't have a Bora hob, then we would have probably opted for another Luxair of some type.

Have you considered an extractor hob?