Lowering staircase

49 minutes ago, pocster said:

What’s the timber at the base for ?

At the mo I guess your nice new steel is resting on that algae covered concrete? ? It'll scrape all the paint off the corner and rust. Also it might dig into the concrete as you're twisting it around or it might slip!

Get an old rubber car mat under the bottom corner, carpet tile or rough bit of timber at a push. Rubber best as you know!

Or did you mean the bit I've drawn, clamped on? To act as a lever.

?

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

This just isn’t working 

Bolted timber to tread just bends .

Did turn it by hand . Then tried to move into position and it just slipped back - couldn’t hold it . Chipped it ?

So stuck like this for now .

Problem with heavy physical stuff ; the more you try the more knackered and therefore weaker you get . So I need to stop for a re think 

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

At the mo I guess your nice new steel is resting on that algae covered concrete? ? It'll scrape all the paint off the corner and rust. Also it might dig into the concrete as you're twisting it around or it might slip!

Get an old rubber car mat under the bottom corner, carpet tile or rough bit of timber at a push. Rubber best as you know! ?

I know . Can’t lift bottom to put anything under it as worried it will slip ( though could use hoist ) 

Is that stringer now down in the pit? ?

Stop before you hurt yourself perhaps? This lifting game doesn't appear to be your thing. That should not have happened!

Thought you had tethered the top securely...I did say!

Keep on like this and I'll have to come and "look after" Mrs @pocster when you're in traction or worse! ?

• Haha 1

Serious suggestion...

Lower all bits into the pit.

Part build on the floor.

Fit one step down the bottom

Fit bracket at the top.

Reposition that abortion of a "crane" and lift the end up onto the wall.

SECURE THE TOP TO THE WALL!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

That one will be trickier as you don't have the wall there.

This is not a job for one person without lifting gear.  Can you get a spider crane in there?

Nah . No access . We have mega crane that front the street lifts straight over the build . Mega crane though translates into mega money 

For small erecting jobs (staircases etc) in difficult spaces we used to hire a Roustabout, telescopic mast on 4 casters with a hand winch and wire rope, hand powered mobile crane that could be transported in a van