Cutting cast soil pipe

Tennentslager

It's right in the corner (vertical stack)and under the floor with very little crawl space so no chance of using a grinder or recip saw.

Can hire a chain cutter for 33 quid and watched a couple of YouTube videos, I know, I know...

Plan is to add a plastic swept tee for the new WC and use two couplers to make the PVC/cast joint good.

@Nickfromwales am I crazy to attempt this?

I know the stack has to be well supported above and the big risk is cracking the cast pipe...that's if there's room to get the chain around it while lying on my back!

From what I've read it's not a job any plumber will be rushing to do...

As it's old cast iron there is no guarantee that a chain cutter will give you a clean cut. As your going to retain the outlet side, you could use a disc cutter and cut a wedge out of the section you're going to scrap. This wedge, once removed should allow access to disc cut the back of the pipe.

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

What about a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade in it. You can get blades over 250mm which means you can cut it all from the front. 

Ever tried it? :/. It's a nightmare to cut, even with a grinder. 

image.thumb.jpg.3fbd61bcebc23eea4524e4ec4ada80c2.jpg

Let me finish this, grab some Piri Piri for the thick cut pork loins, and we'll have a go. 

?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

What about a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade in it. You can get blades over 250mm which means you can cut it all from the front. 

Yep but concerned that is a bloody tight space and having the ability to hold the saw rigid as the travel of the blade will have to be held back to stop it hitting the brick...and/or using a whole pack of blades...and running out half way through the second cut...or any slight movement in the stack jamming the blade?

@Tennentslager, bear with this old boy:

Clever old sod! :) 

Can't see tbh whether your pipe in the corner stops short under the floor or not. Drill a hole through floor etc. Slitting disc on a bit of studding.

EDIT: I think I've just found my father!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Only prob is at 330mm you'll have no real length to get a decent saw stroke going. 

Cast is a b'stard, has anyone here ever had to cut one / has cut one? I have, and it's a pig of a job. 

Is the existing cast iron soil pipe in use? 

Assuming you're replacing above the new swept tee.... you must be otherwise you'd never get it (the tee) in.

Lop it off above the floor then use that mad old bastad's method in the video I posted to cut the pipe from the inside out. Will need to find a suitable washer to go on a slitting/cutting disc and over a length of studding. 

Edited by Onoff
Grammar

2foot is plenty of crawl space, :ph34r:

I've rewired underfloor with less,,,,,.  

Wouldn't want to be cutting a soil pipe with contents unknown stuck to the sides in that confined space,,,,. O.o

So ye, I'd go with @Onoff and cut above, then that crazy method of cutting from inside out.