How to pick a toilet remotely?

I’m looking for a toilet with the following characterics:

- contemporary styling

- rimless

- wall hung

- spacious so that one’s dangly bits don’t touch the inside of the bowl when sitting on it (I never thought this would be an issue , but the rental where we are living in at the moment has this issue and it’s horrible);

- good flush strength.

With many places being closed due to the pandemic, this is a bit of a challenge.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Adsibob

Flush strength is down to the cistern rather than the bowl. Not a big fan of rimless but the V&B Architectura range are really nice. 

Downside is they need a V&B seat, and these can be upward of £120 for the soft close quick release ones. 

2 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

We are installing a water softener for the showers and taps, but seemed a bit excessive to do that for the toilets as well. Wouldn’t we increase our salt costs?

Are you running multiple water systems then to bathrooms ..?? Yes you’ll increase salt costs but at the reduction of expensive cleaning products..! 

Rimless bowls are supposed to be better as they “don’t harbour germs” but tbh they are all as easy to clean now anyway. Also with rimless you have to watch the flush pressure as you can get spill over on some bowls and will have to somehow restrict the flush - not easy with a built in cistern !!

• Like 1

Sorry, another toilet question for @PeterW , @joe90 or anyone else with expertise in this area:

We tend to leave the toilet seat lid up and only lower it when we want to sit on the lid to use it as a seat, not as a toilet. In our old place, this was fine, but in the rental where we are now leaving the lid up covers the flush plate. It’s a wall hung toilet, so presumably this is because it’s a small frame for the wall hung toilet and to install the flush plate higher up one needs a larger frame? If so, are all wall hung toilets compatible with both short and tall frames, or will the extra height of the cistern give the flush more gravitational potential energy which might be too much for some toilets to cope with, particularly if we go rimless, though following @PeterW’s comments above I’m wondering whether the rimless “technology” is just a gimmick.

• Like 1

You can get frames where the flush goes on top of the boxing or is remote (eg operated by air pipes) so it can be off to one side. 

image.thumb.png.8bc86c982bda9992821f85a15bc1e1db.png

The different heights are to allow different height boxing (eg under windows). The WC pan height is the same. See this picture..

image.thumb.png.ed2f71596bfc0586540a6fe38b4296f5.png

Note that some WC have non standard dimensions for the distances between bolts, flush pipe and waste pipe.

Shop around as prices for frames vary. Pre Brexit there was someone on ebay selling them from Germany cheap but I don't know about now.

20 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I will check out the V&B Architectura range, but sounds expensive. Any other more affordable options? I need four of them!

Expensive? That's a steal. This is mine. Tbh I can't fault it. Easy to fit and "spacious":

https://bernstein-badshop.com/toilets/wall-mounted-wc/a-3283

If I fit another wall hung SWMBO will only entertain the same pan!

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

We tend to leave the toilet seat lid up and only lower it when we want to sit on the lid to use it as a seat,

perhaps I am OCD ?, but I prefer a lid closed unless it’s being used, there was an advert on TV recently for nice bathroom smelly stuff, it showed someone flushing the toilet and air particles (smell) emanating from the pan, this would not happen if you shut the lid before flushing (then you can use/see the flush plate). Perhaps that’s why it was designed that way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

perhaps I am OCD ?, but I prefer a lid closed unless it’s being used, there was an advert on TV recently for nice bathroom smelly stuff, it showed someone flushing the toilet and air particles (smell) emanating from the pan, this would not happen if you shut the lid before flushing (then you can use/see the flush plate). Perhaps that’s why it was designed that way?

Quite possibly, but we're just lazy.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Expensive? That's a steal. This is mine. Tbh I can't fault it. Easy to fit and "spacious":

Thanks @Onoff, looks nice although the 485mm projection looks a little short - the ones I've been considering have a projection of at least 530. Why did you import from Germany? And was this before our "Independence Day" or after? If after, any issues at the border?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

... there was an advert on TV recently for nice bathroom smelly stuff, it showed someone flushing the toilet and air particles (smell) emanating from the pan...

Although on further reflection, isn't the fact that it was an advert trying to sell air freshener enough to know that it's unlikely to be an accurate portrayal of the movement of air particles (which ironically is known as Brownian motion).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks @Onoff, looks nice although the 485mm projection looks a little short - the ones I've been considering have a projection of at least 530. Why did you import from Germany? And was this before our "Independence Day" or after? If after, any issues at the border?

540mm is about standard projection. Some companies make "short projection" wc but might be issues with the seat not staying up?

Edited by Temp

31 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Because at the time it was only £135! Should have bought more. Pre B-Day yes. Prices have shot up since then. SWMBO loves it, saying "so easy to clean"...whatever that means. 

I'm 6'4" ish and circa 17st with a big ar5e, fits me a treat. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Because at the time it was only £135! Should have bought more. Pre B-Day yes. Prices have shot up since then. SWMBO loves it, saying "so easy to clean"...whatever that means. 

I'm 6'4" ish and circa 17st with a big ar5e, fits me a treat. 

You're just like me then. Excellent.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 09:31, Adsibob said:

- spacious so that one’s dangly bits don’t touch the inside of the bowl when sitting on it (I never thought this would be an issue , but the rental where we are living in at the moment has this issue and it’s horrible)

How old are you and how long have you been in the rental?

(just trying to determine if it could be age related changes and not the toilet)

:D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

How old are you and how long have you been in the rental?

(just trying to determine if it could be age related changes and not the toilet)

:D

Been in the rental for about 3 months, which coincides with how long we've been building at my real home. Theoretically, the stress of the build could have aged me, but I noticed this issue with the toilet the day we moved in! You should never ask a lady her age. Didn't anybody tell you that @dangti6

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 06:32, Onoff said:

@Onoff On another thread I think you mentioned that you fitted this with a Geberit frame. Geberit make frames in three heights of 112 cm, 98 cm and 82 cm; which one did you go for? Apart from changing the location of the flush plate, will going for a taller frame result in the cistern being higher up such that the water it contains has more gravitational potential energy and therefore a stronger flush? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Adsibob it was pointed out to me  that you need to look at frame height in relation to the push plate in relation to tile height. 

So it would be wrong to have half height tiles in a bathroom and the flush plate was half on and half of the tiles. 

More things to think about. 

Yes, good point. Though that is a secondary issue for me as I haven't chosen wall tiles yet, so have no idea of sizes yet, and for a couple of the toilets, we are tiling with a mosaic sized tile so it won't matter either way. I want to get the mechanics of optimal flushing and comfortable position of the flush plate before worrying about tiles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

@Onoff On another thread I think you mentioned that you fitted this with a Geberit frame. Geberit make frames in three heights of 112 cm, 98 cm and 82 cm; which one did you go for? Apart from changing the location of the flush plate, will going for a taller frame result in the cistern being higher up such that the water it contains has more gravitational potential energy and therefore a stronger flush? 

0.98cm. I got one from here and another two from eBay/Gumtree for £100 the pair! They're Geberit Kappa UP200. 

https://www.pcsclearance.co.uk/geberit-duofix-wc-frame-with-up200-concealed-cistern---model-111292001-562-p.asp

IMG-20190528-WA0002

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Onoff said:

0.98cm. I got one from here and another two from eBay/Gumtree for £100 the pair! They're Geberit Kappa UP200. 

https://www.pcsclearance.co.uk/geberit-duofix-wc-frame-with-up200-concealed-cistern---model-111292001-562-p.asp

IMG-20190528-WA0002

Very helpful @Onoff thank you. With the 98cm frame, is there any scope for changing the height of the flush plate by a couple of inches so that it it is a bit higher than the top of the toilet seat?