Gap in brickwork

Hi,

Noticed this gap in the brickwork and a vertical strip of what appears to be polystyrene on a section of small roof above a ground floor lounge. This is new build so clearly builder needs to come back to fix and redo brickwork. 

1. What can I do temporarily to plug the hole and stop draughts going into the roof/down cavities 

2. What do I need to ask the builder to do exactly? I assume new bricks and mortar on that area to properly seal it off in line with the roof. Would welcome key terminology/wording to use. 

Attach some pictures of the side profile (ignore the staining that is being sorted) -the gap is at the top left. then also a picture of the gap a bit closer up - you can see the strip of poly vertically and the gap. Wonder if this is causing cold walls to touch and a cold ceiling?!

I also attach a picture of a similar house style that appears to have it done properly (img. 0904 which slopes from right to left). 

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

The polythene foam is an expansion joint and should be hidden behind a layer of a decent structural mastic. The hole at the top is crap - that’s one of those where the brickie says it’s the roofers job, and the roofer says it is the brickies job.... 

The potential upside is if you get an endoscopic to camera you have an access point !!! 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

The polythene foam is an expansion joint and should be hidden behind a layer of a decent structural mastic. The hole at the top is crap - that’s one of those where the brickie says it’s the roofers job, and the roofer says it is the brickies job.... 

The potential upside is if you get an endoscopic to camera you have an access point !!! 

it is proving quite a challenge to see anything through that gap sadly! It is hard to discern what is what there sadly :(

57 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Is there no lead upstand behind them trays going up the peak???

Plus the brickie needs to buy a new pole jointer, that's rough.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge - what do you mean by a lead upstand going up to the peak?

10 minutes ago, tmcb1234 said:

Apologies for my lack of knowledge - what do you mean by a lead upstand going up to the peak?

Basically there should be another strip of lead running up that peak and under what you have. When the rain runs down a wall it will hit the lead you have and go out from the building and then drop down where it will come into contact with the missing bit. This bit of lead stops the water going back towards the house and the rain then runs down into your gulley and away. 

On yours there is what looks like nothing to stop the rain going back towards your wall. 

Will look like this. Not really important that it's made from lead or plastic but it's important that it's there.

Could be why you have the staining on the side brick walls.

Screenshot_2021-03-21-14-29-30-157_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.48f27146071466495ef4c150047bf275.jpg

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Basically there should be another strip of lead running up that peak and under what you have. When the rain runs down a wall it will hit the lead you have and go out from the building and then drop down where it will come into contact with the missing bit. This bit of lead stops the water going back towards the house and the rain then runs down into your gulley and away. 

On yours there is what looks like nothing to stop the rain going back towards your wall. 

Will look like this. Not really important that it's made from lead or plastic but it's important that it's there.

Screenshot_2021-03-21-14-29-30-157_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.48f27146071466495ef4c150047bf275.jpg

So you're referring to the zoomed in picture and on the left with the flashing that is on the side of the house but doesn't appear to extend down? There is a garage below there so not as impt and haven't noticed any leakage into that...?

23 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

Stuff a poly bag in the hole 

I can’t see the soakers that should be visible under the stepped flashing 

agree with the mastic comments 

I have stuffed some insulation material in that gap for now to fill it until they come to replace 

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

No the big picture. The black bit that's on the red tiles. It's very important. Doesn't matter what's below it, that is going to let a lot of water in. 

Yes sorry I meant my pictures - where on my pictures above are you referring to?

1 minute ago, tmcb1234 said:

Yes sorry I meant my pictures - where on my pictures above are you referring to?

Between the zig zag lead flashing that clings to the main house wall and the garage roof slates we see some odd white thing behind the gap. A classic finishing detail is an extra layer of lead mini tiles called soakers. We expect to see these load soakers in that slate to vertical flashing gap.

If there is nothing at this junction point then this is your biggest building fault discussed so far. Is there any sign of damp inside the garage where the garage roof meets the main house wall?

What colour is the garage fabric roof felt under the slates visible when you look up inside the garage?

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Between the zig zag lead flashing that clings to the main house wall and the garage roof slates we see some odd white thing behind the gap. A classic finishing detail is an extra layer of lead mini tiles called soakers. We expect to see these load soakers in that slate to vertical flashing gap.

If there is nothing at this junction point then this is your biggest building fault discussed so far. Is there any sign of damp inside the garage where the garage roof meets the main house wall?

What colour is the garage fabric roof felt under the slates visible when you look up inside the garage?

No sign of damp in garage yet and we've had heavy rain and snow over last 4 months. Inside the garage is a some boarding for a ceiling so you cannot see up to the actual roof itself

Pretty sure there will be a soaker or the membrane turned up the wall. Not the best detail (that lead is too long in one piece too) but at least it’s there. 

The lounge flashing should also come round that corner but doesn’t. Again, this is poor detailing and will leak eventually.

Also @tmcb1234 Can you measure the length of the boiler flue in the garage and how far apart the supports are ..??