roof trusses

Buzz

@PeterW on a serious note , have put aside 1k for the crane to unload and lift into place , its a bungalow roof with no access issues on a private plot with plenty of room and good ground . 

is this a realistic number. 

18 truss lifts in one day is pretty easy going so £1K is definitely on the safe side. I would check the maximum radius and shop around. good chance someone with a big Loader crane on their truck will be able to do it and save you all the fuss and appointed person extras etc.

thanks @markc my builder will have his teleporter on site throughout the build and thinks this will be fine to get them up , as he is the one with building knowledge i will bow to his experience and advice on this matter, but he might change his mind when i send these over to him.

i am all for saving a bit of money here and there but not at the expense of safety,  would rather spend the 1k and sleep at night. 

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Buzz said:

hi @nod must be ,the treated quote was from Pasquil . 

I must say I thought it would be a couple of hundred at the time 

The guy who came out said it was woodworm they where being treated for

You should be fine for 1 day - I did the trusses on Plot 1 last week - the crane was gone in 2 hours.  Half day hire and job done for £400.

The issue you may have is relying on the crane to offload the delivery which could be delayed 20210318_073835_resized.thumb.jpg.830ae03abe521726dc7d6650dd592722.jpg- far better if you offload prior to the day with the forks.

Hi @Faz not a bad shout. just got of the phone to one supplier who said due to the size of the order ( we have some raised ties and fink as well ) it would be  one drop for the transport  and we could have him all day as long as we let them know before hand , but hadn't  factored in a delay getting to site would mean 2 days for the crane.

5 hours ago, nod said:

I must say I thought it would be a couple of hundred at the time 

The guy who came out said it was woodworm they where being treated for

Exactly what I was told by suppliers I contacted, as I wanted treatment for them to be left open to the elements for longer, but non did that

4 hours ago, Buzz said:

Hi @Faz not a bad shout. just got of the phone to one supplier who said due to the size of the order ( we have some raised ties and fink as well ) it would be  one drop for the transport  and we could have him all day as long as we let them know before hand , but hadn't  factored in a delay getting to site would mean 2 days for the crane.

Get the gear to the site mate and then the crane after - you want the crane there for the shortest possible period tbh - at least I paid £400 for crane hire here - in London it was never less than £1500.

Thanks @Faz sat here this evening thinking about this and makes more sense the longer it think about it , as we have a fair bit of room on site it would pay to get them in 2/3 days before crane day to check everything is as it should be . 

Looking at your pictures the landscape looks like fenland ? 

Well spotted - nothing as flat as the Fen mate other than a bowling green!  Just north of Huntingdon.

Here is the whole sh*tshow from the back!

Are you local?

20210319_140120_resized.thumb.jpg.9335450046100e8acc4f5e558b5b7a94.jpg

I am just outside Ramsey mate - your mountain rescue skills maybe required if someone gets stranded on the muck pile!

Drop by - I may have some surplus gear to help you out - you are 20 mins up the road.  I can certainly give you a tip on the various trades!

If you want to see a major truss lift come down on the 25th - we are doing my Plot then - standard and attic trusses, dormers the whole show.  Booked the crane for the day but he will be off by early pm I suspect.  I will give you the crane chaps details - he is good and cheapish (bargain basement to my London eyes!).