Hilldes

Where to buy Loxone kit (DIY)

19 minutes ago, Dunny1234 said:

Hi, I’m also thinking of going down the loxone route, and I’m thinking of getting a wiring plan too, and get my electrician to follow it. How much did it cost you, if you don’t mind? Thanks 

I was going to have our electrician do the cabling but their per-point price was quite high and there were quite a lot of first-fix only connections (window/door sensors).  So, in the end I bought 900m of CAT7 cable and did all the Loxone cabling myself, leaving all the 230v stuff to the electricians, including wring for blinds/UFH/towel rails to Loxone relays.

One of the challenges with DIY, is the termination/sign-off.  You need someone to sign-off all the 230v, and if you turn up with your own DIY panel.. you need to be able to convince your electriciation to terminate into this and sign-off.    We initialy agreed that our electirician would supply all Loxone kit at retail prices (vs. discounted) in exchange for doing all of this (as I think @joth also agreed with his electrician).    I need to reach out to him and confirm this is still the agreement though.

12 minutes ago, Dan F said:

I was going to have our electrician do the cabling but their per-point price was quite high and there were quite a lot of first-fix only connections (window/door sensors).  So, in the end I bought 900m of CAT7 cable and did all the Loxone cabling myself, leaving all the 230v stuff to the electricians, including wring for blinds/UFH/towel rails to Loxone relays.

One of the challenges with DIY, is the termination/sign-off.  You need someone to sign-off all the 230v, and if you turn up with your own DIY panel.. you need to be able to convince your electriciation to terminate into this and sign-off.    We initialy agreed that our electirician would supply all Loxone kit at retail prices (vs. discounted) in exchange for doing all of this (as I think @joth also agreed with his electrician).    I need to reach out to him and confirm this is still the agreement though.

I got quoted 1700-1900 for a full plan (wiring and equipment list) ready to give to my electrician. Once cabling installed they’d quote equipment and commission. It difficult to know how much it’s all going to cost, when they don’t list prices anywhere. Seems expensive 

1 minute ago, Dunny1234 said:

It difficult to know how much it’s all going to cost, when they don’t list prices anywhere. Seems expensive 

Who doesn't list prices?  Download Loxone Config, and use the project planner tool, it will output a spreadsheet with a parts list and all prices

57 minutes ago, Dunny1234 said:

What?????? Where can I find this, please. 

You can plan and dwisgn the whole thing yourself.  Loxone is still quite open in this regard compared to other systems.

https://www.loxone.com/enen/support/downloads/

There is a planning tool inside this app, seperate to designer.

@Dan F is absolutely right, get hold of config and have a play around.

11 hours ago, Dunny1234 said:

Brilliant, thanks Dan. 

If you have any questions while trying out the config software, post them here. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly powerful. 

For example, I've just installed magnetic (reed) window sensors on my garage door rail, and mounted the corresponding magnet to the door itself so that one of the reed switches is closed when it's full open, and the other is closed when the garage is fully closed. I also wired in an output relay across the open/close volt-free contact that controls the garage door. Programming Loxone to read the open/closed status based on the reed switches and to add a virtual button to the app to let me open and close the door took about three minutes.

Later, I plan to add some logic so I can see when there's an issue. For example, start a timer when the door starts closing, and flag when it hasn't closed within a certain time (suggesting there's a blockage or some other problem).