Recommended Posts

My old man is looking for some help and advice in finishing off bathroom. It’s been like this for 3 years now and my mums had enough.

He is  not sure what would fit best, some sort of quadrant shower or a low profile tray with some sort of screening. Here are a couple of measurements,

from wall to tight to toilet it’s 1.86 m but would want some sort of room between toilet and end of shower.

and from wall to where door opens to is 1.4m.

 Regards James 

 

 

233B0A4B-D543-46C5-972D-86EEBFBF4015.jpeg

4FAE36F3-B765-40DA-8833-52CC4B54F692.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 years like that ? . We have a specialist on here for the ‘slow burn ‘ @Onoff will be along shortly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, James94 said:

Here are a couple of measurements,

from wall to tight to toilet it’s 1.86 m but would want some sort of room between toilet and end of shower. and from wall to where door opens to is 1.4m 

 

You have quite a large space.  I would leave at least 50cm from the centre line of the WC to the shower screen. That gives you 1.3m ish for a tray in that direction. I would fit something like  a rectangular 1200 * 800 or 900 mm tray with the door  on the long side. Fit a door stop to the floor to prevent the bathroom door handle damaging the shower. Put the shower controls on the long side wall. 

 

You don't show a waste pipe but if that's low enough you can fit something like 18mm WBP to the joists and a low profile tray on top. I wouldn't go for an ultra low tray unless you are sure the waste pipe can cope with a decent flow rate eg its a short run to the stack.

 

The position of the waste will depend on the pipe run so don't buy the tray until you know how that looks.

 

image.png.01516198b7446f3be25978b21c4f60a3.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Temp said:

You don't show a waste pipe but if that's low enough you can fit something like 18mm WBP to the joists and a low profile tray on top.

 

PS Some trays require more support than others. Try and read the installation notes before purchase. You might need more than 18mm WPB for some.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pocster said:

3 years like that ? . We have a specialist on here for the ‘slow burn ‘ @Onoff will be along shortly 

Yeah tell me about it, 6'6" and having to get shower in bath😢

hopefully you will inspire him to get this job completed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Temp said:

 

You have quite a large space.  I would leave at least 50cm from the centre line of the WC to the shower screen. That gives you 1.3m ish for a tray in that direction. I would fit something like  a rectangular 1200 * 800 or 900 mm tray with the door  on the long side. Fit a door stop to the floor to prevent the bathroom door handle damaging the shower. Put the shower controls on the long side wall. 

 

You don't show a waste pipe but if that's low enough you can fit something like 18mm WBP to the joists and a low profile tray on top. I wouldn't go for an ultra low tray unless you are sure the waste pipe can cope with a decent flow rate eg its a short run to the stack.

 

The position of the waste will depend on the pipe run so don't buy the tray until you know how that looks.

 

image.png.01516198b7446f3be25978b21c4f60a3.png

 

 

He was hoping to have a low ish profile tray will deffo put door stop in unless door goes on other side?. would a 1200x900 tray work with glass screens and walk in entrance or would water go everywhere?

he is thinking of a ceiling fed shower similar to this. https://www.screwfix.com/p/aqualisa-smart-link-hp-combi-ceiling-fed-chrome-thermostatic-smart-shower/334jk  but not as expensive.

waste is going in the far right hand corner out through ceiling and into utility and in 50 mm soldered pipe washer waste in there he can connect to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He would like something like this, would it be possible in the space he has. From people’s experience would water go everywhere as doesn’t really want to tank whole floor area.

 Regards   James

481568F8-487D-4F9C-A504-0E6B46A0CAC8.png

6F3232AA-2FA2-4839-8AF1-3DD66DB9365B.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how old your parents are but you might want to consider good access for later in life should they become infirm/need a carer to assist. @Ferdinand (who's going to put the link to his thread up 😂 ) fairly recently did an accessible bathroom refurb.

 

Tanking tbh is pretty easy. You could consider one of the very low profile shower formers and have no tray, just tile the whole floor, including the shower area then bond the glass screen(s) directly to that. Takes a bit of attention to detail that. @Nickfromwales might be able to point at a former.

 

My kids are just going to sit me in a plastic garden chair and point a hose at me!

 

20190626_205015

 

One thing with the rainfall head, if you go in after someone else has used it you can get cold drips coming down on you. Though I really wanted to do the rainfall head I mainly use the spray hose/riser. That Hudson Reed shower valve selects rainfall/spray hose or both. Quite a few people on here have the same model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I don't know how old your parents are but you might want to consider good access for later in life should they become infirm/need a carer to assist. @Ferdinand (who's going to put the link to his thread up 😂 ) fairly recently did an accessible bathroom refurb.

 

Tanking tbh is pretty easy. You could consider one of the very low profile shower formers and have no tray, just tile the whole floor, including the shower area then bond the glass screen(s) directly to that. Takes a bit of attention to detail that. @Nickfromwales might be able to point at a former.

 

My kids are just going to sit me in a plastic garden chair and point a hose at me!

 

20190626_205015

 

One thing with the rainfall head, if you go in after someone else has used it you can get cold drips coming down on you. Though I really wanted to do the rainfall head I mainly use the spray hose/riser. That Hudson Reed shower valve selects rainfall/spray hose or both. Quite a few people on here have the same model. 

Do you have functional ufh ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@James94 first question - has that ever been a bathroom ..?? That looks like ordinary chipboard not moisture resistant board so I wouldn’t want it anywhere near a shower. Same with the walls - that is standard plasterboard, so you will need to do some tanking in this area. 
 

What does your mum want in terms of floor finish in there ..?? That will affect floor build up, and also the decision as to how far to recess the shower tray (or not) and what you do next. 
 

Looks like the wall stops the door swinging open and hitting anything so you’ve got options for the shower tray in there - could comfortably get a 1400 x 800 in there similar to this

 

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/matrix-1400-x-800mm-ultimate-walk-in-enclosure-10mm-with-side-panel-tray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pocster said:

Do you have functional ufh ?

 

Behave!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, James94 said:

He was hoping to have a low ish profile tray will deffo put door stop in unless door goes on other side?. would a 1200x900 tray work with glass screens and walk in entrance or would water go everywhere?

 

Personally I prefer having a door but I'm not a fan of wet rooms either. Hate wet socks.

 

Where we live we get scale on the glass and the easy way to clean it is to get in the shower, shut the door and spray the whole thing down with descaler before rinsing off with the shower head. That means spraying all around the edges of the glass. No problem with a door as there are no edges apart from at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Onoff, they are a little way off requiring level access, but you never quite now what’s around the corner. He did think about former and wetroom but I think he was a little worried about getting all the levels correct and tanking and tiling.

the reason for a ceiling fed shower is he can fit it him self and not have to have the feed buried in the wall.

pocster,

He’s not bothered about under floor heating, I think he was just going to LVT the whole area, easy for him to do and any issues simple to come up again.

PeterW,

yes when he extended the bathroom this was the chipboard they sent, he told them it was for bathroom, I think he was hoping for the caberdek but to late now(3 years to late) just have to use a lot of silicone around shower area😀

walls, he was just thinking of a type of mermaid board adhered to plaster board.

Temp, He will  keep looking on the net to give him some ideas, He does like the look of a larger tray as flush as possible to finish at the choice of floor finish height with some glass around it. I don’t  think he’s looked at many with doors but we live in an area of hard water so will probably have a similar problem with scale.

 Regards. James

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think first thing I would do is work out or measure how high the waste pipe is in relation to the joists when it gets to the shower area with the right fall. That and the height of the trap can dictate the height of the underside of the tray. That in turn may determine or influence how high the tray is and how its fitted. McAlpine do several top access/top fitting traps that work well although some have a better flow rate than others. 

 

Pre Covid I had to replace a tray on a beam and block floor with UFH in screed. The shower screen had already been purchased to suit the old tray and reached from top of the existing tray to the ceiling. Being toughened glass it could not be cut so I had a fun job getting a new deeper tray and trap combination that would end up at the right height to within a few mm. Soon as the tray was bedded on the mortar I stood the glass on top and it was such a perfect fit between tray and ceiling that it stood up on its own. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strengthen the existing joists and lay plywood in between the joists

 

lay new tray on top of that mine was 40mm Mira anti slip.

relay 22mm flooring, only 18mm to clear for the parents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temp, the waste will go directly down  through ceiling in the corner into 50mm pipe, see pic. So hopefully He won’t have to worry to much about heights of waste and tray and fall.

TonyT, he did double up the joists when the extension was done so hopefully they’ll be ok. Think he’s going to get some of my roof laths and run them along joist for ply to sit on. I’ll get him to look at the tray you mentioned.

 Regards. James

BA52B9A8-C03B-41D7-A43C-9E6A1A2A151D.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James94 said:

Think he’s going to get some of my roof laths and run them along joist for ply to sit on.


Not thick enough by a long way ..!! Use tanalised CLS, set below the joists 22mm and then glued and screwed to the joists. Then cut the ply to fit the gaps, glue and screw the ply to the CLS. That forms your deck for the shower tray to sit on and will be bombproof. Tanking would be preferable but LVT doesn’t really sit well on tanking. You could add a 6mm ply all over to strengthen the floor and sandwich a tanking membrane to stop any issues. 
 

I would be cutting the bottom 300mm from the plasterboard all round and replacing with moisture resistant board. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PeterW, Thanks for the advice I'll let him know that he can't use laths and I'll give him some d4 glue I've got left over. I think tanking it will be to much for him just think he wants it out the way and with tray glass sides and some lvt and mermaid board will be a lot easier for him.

you say cut bottom off board, cant he just cover it with mermaid board? or best cut bottom off.

Regards  James  scales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standard plasterboard soaks water up like a sponge. Why not use a tanking product - they aren’t expensive - and do it properly rather than in 3 years time be having to rip stuff out to sort wet ceilings and rotting floors ..???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@James94 if you put the ‘@‘ in front of the name and select from the list it also notifies someone that you’ve replied ..! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2021 at 07:42, Onoff said:

I don't know how old your parents are but you might want to consider good access for later in life should they become infirm/need a carer to assist. @Ferdinand (who's going to put the link to his thread up 😂 ) fairly recently did an accessible bathroom refurb.

 

Tanking tbh is pretty easy. You could consider one of the very low profile shower formers and have no tray, just tile the whole floor, including the shower area then bond the glass screen(s) directly to that. Takes a bit of attention to detail that. @Nickfromwales might be able to point at a former.

 

My kids are just going to sit me in a plastic garden chair and point a hose at me!

 

20190626_205015

 

One thing with the rainfall head, if you go in after someone else has used it you can get cold drips coming down on you. Though I really wanted to do the rainfall head I mainly use the spray hose/riser. That Hudson Reed shower valve selects rainfall/spray hose or both. Quite a few people on here have the same model. 

 

To @Onoff

 

Do your own homework, you lazy booger.

 

It's everso easy to find.

 

Yours is not accessible. It includes all those recesses and dolphins, which offend taste and dazzle the eyes into blindness. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Do your own homework, you lazy booger.

 

😂

 

And there was me trying to big you up!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PeterW, thanks for this tip. 

You say about the need for tanking is this to protect materials that aren’t waterproof and keep it as he'd with tray and mermaid board. Or if he tanks area does he have to go down the road of wetroom? 

Regards. James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope you can tank around a tray - it’s belt and braces. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James94 said:

@PeterW, thanks for this tip. 

You say about the need for tanking is this to protect materials that aren’t waterproof and keep it as he'd with tray and mermaid board. Or if he tanks area does he have to go down the road of wetroom? 

Regards. James

As @PeterW says you must tank . Wet room or just shower cubicle . If not you’ll pay the price later ... 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now