Design of Dressing Room/Wardrobe

canalsiderenovation

I'm looking forward to making our own built-in wardrobes this autumn.

We're not able to afford professionally made built in stuff: the quotes we had were just too high. All I need now is a bit of temporary workshop space (rented) 

Now, I'm off to a barby to try and forget the mental image of @pocster in  girly underwear. God thats gross, gross, gross.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I'm looking forward to making our own built-in wardrobes this autumn.

We're not able to afford professionally made built in stuff: the quotes we had were just too high. All I need now is a bit of temporary workshop space (rented) 

Now, I'm off to a barby to try and forget the mental image of @pocster in  girly underwear. God thats gross, gross, gross.

Could be worse - could have been a mankini!

• Haha 1

We (as in she) designed as best we could our dressing room. Due to budgets and only two of us in the house it was the only dressing room getting fitted. The idea was to see what worked and then later as the Ikea pax system is all adjustable and interchangeable, we moved some unwanted trouser rails and other bits that didn't work for us into the guest bedroom wardrobe when fitting that out. This allowed us to get additional shelves and drawers for the main dressing room. My wardrobe hasn't changed really. I think I added another £5 shelf. Her wardrobe has changed a lot but we've probably only spent an extra £80 and it was all easy to modify. Things that changed were handbags hanging on rails were now put on shelves. Her jeans are now folded on a shelf where previously they were on a trouser rail. The area and way large boots was changed. All minor things you wouldn't know in advance when designing the layout.

If you go for a custom fitted wardrobe by a carpenter while you'll probably have a nicer finish you won't have the flexibility I think of modifying it as much or going back later when you know what works. Purchasing an additional drawer to replace a shelf or rail for about £15 and 10 minutes of your time is very easy with the Ikea Pax system.

At the start we didn't have doors. They were also added later and came in the same delivery with the guest bedroom 18 months later.

19 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Forget the mental image ? . After a few beers at the barby it will be the only thing in your mind ?

37 minutes ago, Dudda said:

We (as in she) designed as best we could our dressing room. Due to budgets and only two of us in the house it was the only dressing room getting fitted. The idea was to see what worked and then later as the Ikea pax system is all adjustable and interchangeable, we moved some unwanted trouser rails and other bits that didn't work for us into the guest bedroom wardrobe when fitting that out. This allowed us to get additional shelves and drawers for the main dressing room. My wardrobe hasn't changed really. I think I added another £5 shelf. Her wardrobe has changed a lot but we've probably only spent an extra £80 and it was all easy to modify. Things that changed were handbags hanging on rails were now put on shelves. Her jeans are now folded on a shelf where previously they were on a trouser rail. The area and way large boots was changed. All minor things you wouldn't know in advance when designing the layout.

If you go for a custom fitted wardrobe by a carpenter while you'll probably have a nicer finish you won't have the flexibility I think of modifying it as much or going back later when you know what works. Purchasing an additional drawer to replace a shelf or rail for about £15 and 10 minutes of your time is very easy with the Ikea Pax system.

At the start we didn't have doors. They were also added later and came in the same delivery with the guest bedroom 18 months later.

If you were a real fashion victim, you would know these things.

On 20/02/2021 at 18:51, joe90 said:

I built a walk through wardrobe going to our en suite, hers (large) to the left, mine (small) to the right. I had intended to build doors but not yet got round to it (if I ever do!) and it works well. Being open means we (I) have to be tidy ?.

I now have images of you and Ms Joe90 being like Bernie Ecclestone and Slavica.

b71703640ed55969dbc02beb6e78537e3132d401

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

You're kidding me, the wife has already designed the inside and knows exactly what is going where! 

then why are you asking, job done ?
(I hope she is good at woodwork then ?)

Let me be on topic for once.

1 - Do you plan to have an arrangement of 'side mirrors' as for a traditional 3 mirror dressing table? And are your mirrors planned to be illuminated - the prices for large integrated-lighting mirrors surprised me when I redid my main bathroom recently.

I have a sort of version of this in my bathroom - in my case driven by my current need to self-haircut.

2 - If you are going fitted but open shelves, is there value in having some cupboards for dust avoidance on items used less regularly? That could even be a different idea, such as roller blinds.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

1 - Do you plan to have an arrangement of 'side mirrors' as for a traditional 3 mirror dressing table? And are your mirrors planned to be illuminated - the prices for large integrated-lighting mirrors surprised me when I redid my main bathroom recently.

Forward planning worked here we have wires here for lighting so if we wanted to can add in a independent light over a mirror or a similar style to an illuminated bathroom mirror if we wanted.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

2 - If you are going fitted but open shelves, is there value in having some cupboards for dust avoidance on items used less regularly? That could even be a different idea, such as roller blinds.

We aren't going for open shelves for the dust issue. We scrapped the initial ideas for all open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Forward planning worked here we have wires here for lighting so if we wanted to can add in a independent light over a mirror or a similar style to an illuminated bathroom mirror if we wanted.

We aren't going for open shelves for the dust issue. We scrapped the initial ideas for all open.

I had one with a LED light in the mirror, and including an anti-steam feature.

You can get ones that are nearly 1m wide, with an illuminated edge strip, demister feature, and sometimes a bluetooth speaker, with touch switches embedded in the mirror, for £100-£200.

Watch whether they are mains or battery powered.

They are out of the extravagance category.

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Bathroom-Mirror-Additional-Features/dp/B07SQYBHP2

F

8 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I had one with a LED light in the mirror, and including an anti-steam feature.

You can get ones that are nearly 1m wide, with an illuminated edge strip, demister feature, and sometimes a bluetooth speaker, with touch switches embedded in the mirror, for £100-£200.

Watch whether they are mains or battery powered.

They are out of the extravagance category.

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Bathroom-Mirror-Additional-Features/dp/B07SQYBHP2

F

We have an Ideal Standard one in the ensuite bathroom that is anti-mist and has bluetooth speakers. Ideal for long soaks in the bath and playing music - I love it! Got it from a bathroom store locally who was selling off stock and merging with another store for around £60 when it was online for about £200. Our other two mirrors are all light up too but don't have the Bluetooth Speakers.

• Like 1