rate my ladder modification

53 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I had an aluminium folding scaffold tower that I could assemble myself although easier with 2.  @Ferdinand has it now.  I still pine for it sometimes...

Yes. And very good it is.

I thought you had two, @Mr Punter. What happened to the other one?

Aside: He's a ruthless negotiator.

"Can I have another £20 off?"

"No."

(He was right.)

This one (gloats: all *mine*) is a Zarges Reachmaster. It can be put up in half an hour or so on your own, and fits in a normal estate car. Mine is tall enough that it has been used to re-render gables on a cottage.

To op: Spend about £750-1000 on a decent scaffold tower; you will use it multiple times a year. It is not much more expensive than the wheelchair you might need to buy when you fall off your mackled up ladder, which would start from about £300. I can recommend models, as I bought one for my invalided mum 3 and a bit years ago.

Forgive my directness; this is not a place to skimp, and I think you are being willfully stupid. Nobody on this forum will tell you different.

Of if you must have something cheaper, there are decent quality work platforms available for a couple of hundred that may do it. I have one like one of these Youngman ones which I bought as a Wickes own brand. Well under £200. Had it for 8 years now. Built a conservatory using it.

https://www.youngmanaccess.com/combination-ladders/Pro-DeckSeries/5101518)

F

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ash_scotland88 said:

By wrapping it around like that you've reduced its SWL, or so i was always told.

The PVC waste pipes is rated to support a 10,000 lbs load, probably less with a couple of notches cut out of it, but it must be strong enough to support 220lbs of me (& ladder) leading at a 25 degree angle (~220lbs).

The strap only holds it in position, there is no additional force other than hand tight.

I concur with a tower, would not do it any other way. However is stapling a membrane going to be good enough?. If it were me I would strip the tiles and battens, felt the roof properly and insert insulation!. What insulation are you using?, if rockwall it might be easier to insert it from the outside after lining the bottom of the rafters then felt and battens.

4 hours ago, Dave_Watts said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cIt seems strong enough, but would you trust it?

For a few moments, yes. Longer, no.

Look at the treads: they are rounded square in section. Half an hour on those and your feet will hurt. You need treads that are angled so they are level when the ladder is set at 4:1.

Hire a scaffold or a tower.... please.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I concur with a tower, would not do it any other way. However is stapling a membrane going to be good enough?. If it were me I would strip the tiles and battens, felt the roof properly and insert insulation!. What insulation are you using?, if rockwall it might be easier to insert it from the outside after lining the bottom of the rafters then felt and battens.

I'm also concerned about the stapling being good enough, maybe I will nail in a batten to stop water getting past the sides. It is a huge roof, and the tiles are in good condition. It would be a massive job to re-roof it and there are more important jobs that demand the budget.

16 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

For a few moments, yes. Longer, no.

Look at the treads: they are rounded square in section. Half an hour on those and your feet will hurt. You need treads that are angled so they are level when the ladder is set at 4:1.

Hire a scaffold or a tower.... please.

Yes, I will hire a tower, my head for heights is not good enough anyway.

may not be cheapest way -- but If i were wanting to insulate that tiled  roof and make it vapour proof 

I would buy a froth pak - kit and just spray i with closed cell foam  --not only will it insulate and make a water proof seal - it will stick and loose tiles in place for ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

may not be cheapest way -- but If i were wanting to insulate that tiled  roof and make it vapour proof 

I would buy a froth pak - kit and just spray i with closed cell foam  --not only will it insulate and make a water proof seal - it will stick and loose tiles in place for ever

I also want it to be breathable, for the wood, but yes it would be good to stick the tiles in place somehow, some have dislodged. Maybe just a line of froth across the tile tops would do it.

Edited by Dave_Watts

8 minutes ago, Dave_Watts said:

I also want it to be breathable, for the wood, but yes it would be good to stick the tiles in place somehow, some have dislodged. Maybe just a line of froth across the tile tops would do it.

the wood will still breathe cos you only do it between the rafters  and not on tops of batons

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1